NJ
Neither of those are factual.
ECwheLWXsAA6nnK.jpg

Reactions: Blackjack

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I would have loved to have seen a 1996 version of HF Devils.

"I told you they were a fluke"
"Stevens's heart isn't in it, he just wants to go back to St. Louis"
"Did we make a mistake drafting Brodeur over Trevor Kidd?"
"I don't care about Niedermayer's corsi, Lemaire was playing him as a FORWARD. If he can't defend he doesn't deserve a spot on the roster"
"That Elias kid is too small and too soft, he'll be back in Europe by this time next year"
"We might as well just blow it up, now that the Flyers have Lindros we're not going to contend for the division for another 10 years so why even bother?"

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

"I don't care about Niedermayer's corsi, Lemaire was playing him as a FORWARD. If he can't defend he doesn't deserve a spot on the roster"
"That Elias kid is too small and too soft, he'll be back in Europe by this time next year"
"We might as well just blow it up, now that the Flyers have Lindros we're not going to contend for the division for another 10 years so why even bother?"

"It's Time to Talk About Adrian Foster"

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

The Devils drafted Sykora, a guy with a bum shoulder, at 18? Even if they liked him, why didn’t they trade back and pick up additional picks? The team doesn’t have any idea what they’re doing.

The Devils could have drafted Morozov who just led his team in points. Total incompetence.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The Devils drafted Sykora, a guy with a bum shoulder, at 18? Even if they liked him, why didn’t they trade back and pick up additional picks? The team doesn’t have any idea what they’re doing.

The Devils could have drafted Morozov who just led his team in points. Total incompetence.

f***ing morozov, man

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Niedermayer was two-way defenseman who likely born a little before his time, his greatest strength was amazing skating (obviously, to anyone who watched him) and his puck moving abilities. I’m sure his transition play numbers were fantastic.

Niedermayer’s numbers offensive numbers were likely kind of suppressed on the Devils, he wasn’t the main PP guy even later on, Rafalski was. (He also held out during 2001-02 season so he missed a big chunk of one of our two dominating offensive years).

In 2003-04 Nieds did more on the PP because Ralfalski missed time due to injury. We as a team didn’t get that many PPs though. After the lock-out there were famously lots of penalties, so lots of players numbers (including Nieds on the Ducks) got a boost there.

The biggest difference is Hamilton is a shooter and a lethal one. He’s way more of an offensive defensemen.

He’s not a great skater. He’s not terrible but he’s 6’6” and +220, but big guys aren’t speedsters. He defends a lot with stick work, which does lead to interference penalties which is why the little penalty box thing on JFresh’s chart is red and says 3%.

Here’s an interesting article by the man himself:
Is Dougie Hamilton Actually Elite?

Dougie is more of an offensive defenseman. He’s not like Tyson Berrie, a trash fire who only produces points and sadness, but he definitely leans more in the offensive defenseman direction.

I’m not sure why sometimes people on this board struggle with the idea that forwards play defense too and that teams require offense from their blue line. If a forward produces points, nothing else matters for some people (when other things definitely do matter) and there have been years (and years and years) when this team has struggled because our blue line was offensively DOA. Again, I didn’t want Barrie and Hamilton isn’t a problem defensively even though he’s not some two-way elite wonder like Hedman and then a select few others (I’m too tired to work up a real list).

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Niedermayer was two-way defenseman who likely born a little before his time, his greatest strength was amazing skating (obviously, to anyone who watched him) and his puck moving abilities. I’m sure transition play was fantastic.

Niedermayer’s numbers offensive numbers were likely kind of suppressed on the Devils, he wasn’t the main PP guy even later on, Rafalski was. (He also held out during 2001-02 season so he missed a big chunk of one of our two dominating offensive years).

In 2003-04 Nieds did more on the PP because Ralfalski missed time due to injury. We as a team didn’t get that many PPs though. After the lock-out there were famously lots of penalties, so lots of players numbers (including Nieds on the Ducks) got a boost there.

The biggest difference is Hamilton is a shooter and a lethal one. He’s way more of an offensive defensemen.

He’s not a great skater. He’s not terrible but he’s 6’6” and +220, but big guys aren’t speedsters. He defends a lot with stick work, which does lead to interference penalties which is why the little penalty box thing on JFresh’s chart is red and says 3%.

Here’s an interesting article by the man himself:
Is Dougie Hamilton Actually Elite?

Dougie is more of an offensive defenseman. He’s not like Tyson Berrie, a trash fire who only produces points and sadness, but he definitely leans more in the offensive defenseman direction.

I’m not sure why sometimes people on this board struggle with the idea that forwards play defense too and that teams require offense from their blue line. If a forward produces points, nothing else matters for some people (when other things definitely do matter) and there have been years (and years and years) when this team has struggled because our blue line was offensively DOA. Again, I didn’t want Barrie and Hamilton isn’t a problem defensively even though he’s not some two-way elite wonder like Hedman and then a select few others (I’m too tired to work up a real list).
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

agreed though. while having a PMD who can also play defense is great, i'm perfectly fine with an elite point producing one who isn't a liability in his own end. it's silly to throw an elite point producer in the trash just bc he's not playing like scott stevens. there are defensive pairings for a reason. as long as hamilton is a net positive player, he doesn't have to be a defensive superstar

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I was posting here back in 2002 and the amount of shit that Gomez, Elias, and Niedermayer got was unreal. Stevens was considered washed up.

Of course, the main boards were far worse. Any promotion of any Devils defenseman was countered with the “defensive system”. Or (obviously) the trap. It was insufferable.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Nah...Devil's fans back then we're just so damn happy to have rid themselves of the losing stentch of the 80's we hardly even questioned anything.

Plus getting information was almost impossible and limited to few publications...so I spent a lot time imagining what a prospect was like...Kind like reading a book, you have you're own interpretation of the characters based on the words...in this case the stat line.

It was a lot easier being a fan then.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Although 1995 is the first year I got internet access...I remember being on IRC (internet relay chat) at like 3:00am talking with Finish fans about Saku Koivu...kid had so much hype it was unbelievable. The Fins on chat talked about him like he was Gretzky.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

to be fair though while that team did win a lot they also underachieved a lot come playoff time

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Reactions: oxman44

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Although 1995 is the first year I got internet access...I remember being on IRC (internet relay chat) at like 3:00am talking with Finish fans about Saku Koivu...kid had so much hype it was unbelievable. The Fins on chat talked about him like he was Gretzky.
I'll be honest. By 1995, I had been a partial season ticket holder for like 5 or 6 years already, and the idea of just advancing past the 1st round was just exciting. The thought of winning the cup wasn't even a dream, even with the run in 87 and 94. I just couldn't imagine it. I guess I just don't dream big.

I have to say, though, I was actually happier watching the team back then. There was no constant analysis, no expectations. I just watched games to enjoy games.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I'll be honest. By 1995, I had been a partial season ticket holder for like 5 or 6 years already, and the idea of just advancing past the 1st round was just exciting. The thought of winning the cup wasn't even a dream, even with the run in 87 and 94. I just couldn't imagine it. I guess I just don't dream big.

I have to say, though, I was actually happier watching the team back then. There was no constant analysis, no expectations. I just watched games to enjoy games.
Ha. I had this same exact thought around 2011 when I started getting into analytics and started to understand probability at a higher level.

Reactions: Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad