Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2014-2015 Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
My bet? But since I always lose....you can't go the other way....

Budaj sticks around....we lose Tokarski in waivers. MacDonald starter, Condon backup in Hamilton.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
This is stupid.

You know it's not my wish right? Just what I think will happen. To bring back Budaj, seeing that he's a vet who is well liked in the room, I would bet they keep him. Then, we might try to trade him for sure....but what will the market be for goalies? Will Tokarski really be in demand? Can they take the risk that nobody will take him because they will be happy with what they have? They might....Or if the idea is to "help" the kid have a NHL career, and they still can't trade him, they might just accomodate him by letting him go. So again...why is it stupid?

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
You know it's not my wish right? Just what I think will happen. To bring back Budaj, seeing that he's a vet who is well liked in the room, I would bet they keep him. Then, we might try to trade him for sure....but what will the market be for goalies? Will Tokarski really be in demand? Can they take the risk that nobody will take him because they will be happy with what they have? They might....Or if the idea is to "help" the kid have a NHL career, and they still can't trade him, they might just accomodate him by letting him go. So again...why is it stupid?

I meant, if we lose him on waivers, this is stupid from the team. Not your scenario.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
My bet? But since I always lose....you can't go the other way....

Budaj sticks around....we lose Tokarski in waivers. MacDonald starter, Condon backup in Hamilton.

Should be interesting to see how it works out, as a huge Hamilton fan I would love to see Tokarski back but if I'm the Habs I would be leaning towards Tok as the backup. I don't expect there to be a market for Budaj's 1.4M cap hit so I would send him down as there's no real down side to losing him since it would just save the team some money. MacDonald and Condon should be a decent enough duo for the Dogs and if Price gets hurt we are screwed anyway so might as well keep the younger cheaper Tok (would save 837,500 K in cap additional cap space which could be useful down the line if they want to add a player or two at the trade deadline)

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Will the AHL ever announce changes to stop streaming their games at -100p? Can't even read the nameplates or numbers half the time because of how low quality it is.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Why didn't the Habs get Derek? Derek was awesome during the Calder Cup finals..

Probably not 100% of the reason, but I guess it is part of it :

The first step was meeting with the guy, who just finished not hiring him.

"He gave me a great piece of advice. He said turn down the volume 20 percent and vary your call a little bit more." By vary, that meant change the pitch, tone and volume of your voice more often.

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/2014/09/chasing-his-dream-marathon-not-sprint.html

Analyzer*

If Hamilton struggles again, is it too much youth ?
Not enough AHL veterans ?
Lefebvre ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Hamilton struggles again, is it too much youth ?
Not enough AHL veterans ?
Lefebvre ?

If? Granted we don't know how the roster will shape up, but fans shouldn't expect too much from the Dogs unless they find a way to add a lot of offense as they did lose 2 of their top 3 scorers from last season although the addition of Hensick should help as he's a good playmaker. If not for Tokarski then the Dogs likely would have been fighting for last place in the league once again. At least some progress was made as the Dogs went from 30th overall last year to 25th in the league.

With the current coaching staff Hamilton has lead the AHL in the least amount of goals scored and last year only one team in the league scored less goals then the Dogs. Their offense and PP over the past 2 years has of course been downright terrible. They don't seem to know what to do with the puck as their PP is often dis-jointed and the personnel that they go with is often questionable.

But we'll see how the roster shakes out as any of Tokarski, Sekac, Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren, etc... getting time with the Dogs would help a great deal as it looks like the team will once again be a very young one. Looking forward to seeing how DLR, Hudon, Crisp, Bennett, Thrower, Bozon, Carr, and the other rookies do as it's a big class this year. Hopefully a couple of them will have a smooth transition to the AHL and have big years as the Dogs will likely need most of them to put up some points if they hope to make the playoffs for a change.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Corey Locke and Danny Syvret wanted to play for the Bulldogs, but the team went with Jake Dowell and Joe Finley instead.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story...ogs-regret-passing-on-high-scoring-veterans-/

Well Locke...I could have done without. But Syvret? That's a stupid decision by the Habs. Can't believe there was no interest there...:shakehead

From a too small team to the obsession of becoming bigger.....how about in the middle for a change? Syvret could have totally be a short term callup.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Well Locke...I could have done without. But Syvret? That's a stupid decision by the Habs. Can't believe there was no interest there...:shakehead

From a too small team to the obsession of becoming bigger.....how about in the middle for a change? Syvret could have totally be a short term callup.

My read is that they wanted a big guy to defend the kids with the departure of Tarnasky and Finley can do it. Good thing about Finley, is that he won't steal much ice time from our D prospects. Yes Syvret is definitely a better player, but as you said he could've been a callup. That could've have meant less games for Nygren, Pateryn, Bennet and co.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
My read is that they wanted a big guy to defend the kids with the departure of Tarnasky and Finley can do it. Good thing about Finley, is that he won't steal much ice time from our D prospects. Yes Syvret is definitely a better player, but as you said he could've been a callup. That could've have meant less games for Nygren, Pateryn, Bennet and co.

I would have had no problem with Nygren back to Sweden or traded. And even Bennett could have used some time in Wheeling. I don't care about Hamilton. But I care about our players' development and it's not true that not winning isn't important. It is.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I would have had no problem with Nygren back to Sweden or traded. And even Bennett could have used some time in Wheeling. I don't care about Hamilton. But I care about our players' development and it's not true that not winning isn't important. It is.

Winning has its importance, no doubt. I have confidence in the kids and I think they're mature enough to handle a lot of minutes and I feel the team could have success by being driven by the prospects. Especially if Pateryn is not making the Habs. Yes the management could make space for another/better vet in Hamilton.

Nygren has nothing to learn in Sweden anymore. Trade could be an option, but the team has not given up on him. If Pateryn could make the jump straight to the AHL, Bennett can do it IMO.

I understand your POV WS. It's a very legitimate one and it has been proven many times in the AHL. Vets drive teams, especially offensively. It's fun for AHL fans, because the team wins, but there needs to be balance too. And considering the riches the Habs have on D as far as prospects go, they need to make space for these futures.

Personally, I feel the more our prospects play, the better. There is a certain limit to that philosophy, as of course losing all the time is bad for the moral and the motivation. A winning culture throughout the organization is very important, but I think there's a way to balance the wins and the development. I especially like the new turn the org took in development, they work individually with the players a lot more. Collective practice will always be part of team practices, but they are too omnipresent I feel, and at every possible level of hockey imaginable.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

I see it the opposite. The Habs have a lot of defence prospects who need ice time in Hamilton... I wouldn't sign Syvret because it would take ice time away from them.

At centre, we are kinda weak at the AHL level, but we have a lot of wingers. We need a guy who can provide offence and get the puck to those wingers, and Locke is a much better option than Jake Dowell.

I don't see either signing playing in the NHL, but I think winning in the AHL is important for prospects... scoring in the AHL and playing offensive situations is important for prospects... and playing with good players is important for prospects. Locke and Hensick down the middle would be able to set up guys like Andrighetto, De La Rose, Bozon, etc... and put them in positions to succeed.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I see it the opposite. The Habs have a lot of defence prospects who need ice time in Hamilton... I wouldn't sign Syvret because it would take ice time away from them.

At centre, we are kinda weak at the AHL level, but we have a lot of wingers. We need a guy who can provide offence and get the puck to those wingers, and Locke is a much better option than Jake Dowell.

I don't see either signing playing in the NHL, but I think winning in the AHL is important for prospects... scoring in the AHL and playing offensive situations is important for prospects... and playing with good players is important for prospects. Locke and Hensick down the middle would be able to set up guys like Andrighetto, De La Rose, Bozon, etc... and put them in positions to succeed.

What do we have on D?

Tinordi, Pateryn, Beaulieu, Nygren, Ellis, Dietz, Bennett, Drewiske, Makowski, Finley, Shea and Thrower.

Now, 1 or 2 of Tinordi, Pateryn Beaulieu are making it. Nygren could easily go back to Sweden or be traded. Dietz have played some limited minutes in Hamilton, could have easily gone to Wheeling. Same for Bennett, though it's probably preferable he starts in Hamilton. Drewiske is AHL material, yet not offensive. And should I remind you that we (Habs or Dogs) DID sign Makowski, Finley and Shea. Thrower is ECHL material for me.

So take that all into account, I really don't see how any of Makowski, Finley and Shea makes them better than Syvret. Who is the offensive d-man in that group? Beaulieu. Okay...might be with Habs though. Who else is proven? No Syvret is a big miss. Again, not saying Locke would not have helped, just that they already went the small skilled centerman with Hensick. But on D....they might have NOBODY that could be as effective and useful as Syvret. Syvret served tons of purposed, vet presence for the kids on D, powerplay usage etc. I really Wonder who is in charge of this Dogs team as far as vets are concerned. 'Cause while Hensick look like finally a very good pick, they have an awful record so far.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I've already said it but for me the ECHL is for players you have little or no hope they'll become NHLers. It's bush league. It's for AHL depth only.

I want the actual prospects to play in the A. If signing Syvret meant sending Bennet, Thrower or Dietz to the ECHL, I'm glad they didn't sign him.

As for Finley, like someone already said, he's there to play the role of the tough guy. As much as I think this role is disappearing in the NHL, it is still very much needed in the AHL.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I've already said it but for me the ECHL is for players you have little or no hope they'll become NHLers. It's bush league. It's for AHL depth only.

I want the actual prospects to play in the A. If signing Syvret meant sending Bennet, Thrower or Dietz to the ECHL, I'm glad they didn't sign him.

As for Finley, like someone already said, he's there to play the role of the tough guy. As much as I think this role is disappearing in the NHL, it is still very much needed in the AHL.

Shea isn't the biggest guy but he can totally take care of his own. Finley for a big guy, has that advantage but he's not especially a terror for a guy his size...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWUUaJ32aaU Hey here's a guy I'd try to get...Ryan Reeves.

As far as ECHL and what it is for, well not exactly. Desharnais once went through the ECHL. You can also send guys there and it's part of their progression. A guy like Bennett has played 4 years of NCAA hockey...with a limited calendar. You could easily send him there and at one point, it might mean calling him as the year progress...with the injury and all. Same applies to Dietz. And Thrower, well it's really not as if, with or without Syvret, it might very well happen to him that he gets send down. You die in the ECHL if you take the other way down...from AHL to that league. But there is a chance for you to go up if you start your pro career there.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Hamilton Bulldogs fans can look forward to watching their team with an offensively talented group of rookies joining Andrighetto (RW), Holland(RW) and Thomas(RW), this season. That is of course dependant upon the two Swedes, JDLR & Nygren not making the Habs, even so C.Hudon (C), C.Crisp (C/LW), D.Carr (LW), T.Bozon (LW), T.J.Hensick(C/RW), possibly N.Sorkin(RW) & D.Bowman(C/LW) are all very capable forwards offensively at the AHL level, with 4 - 5 likely to make the NHL in a couple of yrs. Defence will get a boost offensively from M.Bennett, D.Thrower,(Injured ankle, will hold him back though for most of the season) Evan Wardley(RD) (may take his place) and D.Makowski (RD)all of these Dmen are PMD's so the Bulldogs will be a puck possession team, mirroring their parent club the Habs.

This should make both The Habs & Bulldogs much more entertaining, and the Bulldogs should be fighting for a playoff berth even without Tokarski.(He will probably join the Habs as their backup,IMHO):nod: Charles Hudon may be the biggest surprise for the Bulldog fans, if he stays healthy Hudon could be the offensive catalyst with JDLR & Andrighetto leading Hamilton back into the hunt for a Calder Cup playoff run. Go Bulldogs Go!!!!.....:handclap::handclap::handclap: Oh yeah Wardley is a real rough and ready RD with offence, that really loves to make bone crunching hits, and will be a crowd favorite as he's been for Seattle in the WHL. Loves a good scrap, just like Thrower a great team player that doesn't back down from any player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad