LeBrun: Hall and the Sabres have mutual interest in an extension

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I don't see how signing another late 20's winger to a huge deal would be wise for them.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You would think that even a KO deal would be a stretch, at this point.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Oh yes please. Get him locked up long term before Buffalo comes back into the Atlantic Division next year. Give him the skinner contract :naughty:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
We'll see what happens with Hall.

I think long-term in Buffalo would be a mistake. They have talent, but also some awful contracts that negate a lot of the advantages of the young talent.

I haven't watched him play this year, but the advanced stats seem to say that he has been very, very unlucky. 5 v 5 Corsi of 59%, yet GF-GA at even strength is 5-9 and PDO of 93.7, when his career average PDO is right on the 100 mark. He seems due for a hot streak, given the numbers that I previously noted, and the fact that he is shooting 3% this year vs a career average of 10%.

If he wants to cash in at like $8m x 8, then I guess he could stay in Buffalo. That is contrary to everything he said the last couple of years though.

The smart move for his career would probably be to lower the AAV demand a bit and lock in long-term with a contending team. I'm sure some good teams would be interested in 6 years at around $6.5-$7m. $8m+ though is probably too costly to fit in for most teams.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He's not worth more than 4.5 based on his play do far. I didn't think he would light the league up or anything but he's far from an elite winger.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Imo Hall is in for a rude awakening come this off season. Money is hard to come by for teams, and he is having another down year. Has he ever been on a winner? Anyway I see him getting less next off season, and likely on another short term deal.

I don't think it'll be that bad for him honestly. An expansion team is going to take cap dollars from a lot of teams at least 60 million. He could see less but if so it'll be a little more long term than one year.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don’t buy this at all unless it’s at an AAV far lower than the one he’s making now. It’s clear that his MVP year was an outlier and obviously he’s not replicating a 26 game point streak. It’s also clear that his numbers since then don’t warrant the AAV that he would be looking normally, never mind in this current cap climate.

If they had mutual interest in a $6m AAV extension, I could see that, but I can’t see Hall agreeing to that. However, unless he turns it around, I find it hard to see him getting more than $7-8m on the open market.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Really enjoys playing for his current coach... he also REALLY enjoyed playing for John Hynes.

Doesn't mean shit

tenor.gif

Taylor Hall really enjoys lots of money and a retirement contract that guarantees it like anyone else would

Who doesn't dream of producing as little as Jeff Skinner while collecting $9 million a year and knowing that you contractually can't be traded or sent down no matter how little you produce? That's some next-level job security

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad