Habs win 5-3 over Islanders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Subban with over 50 minutes over the 2 days, damn his legs must be tired! Price wasn't at his best, still not sure about that 1st goal counting but oh well. Will be interesting to see if they keep the EGG line together or not.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
By this you mean probably make the best decision more often than not.

Btw, Semin deserved to be benched big time and he should thank his luck Mitchell got hurt allowing him to get back in the lineup. Being a Habs fan first though, I certainly hope he turns it around and start playing good.

Semin never deserved to be scratched. That's BS. He started the year with Galch and Eller and they looked good. They created scoring chances, which is all you could actually ask from that line. You couldn't possible ask them to be defensively sound, you knew they were going to have breakdowns. It was inevitable.
So his trio slows down a bit, his linemates don't convert his set ups, he is slow and has defensive lapses, alright. We are 9-1-0. Nobody deserves to be freaking scratched. Especially not the reclamation player you're trying to build back up.
Add in the fact his replacements are 4th line grinders, heck freaking no. It's beyond stupid to scratch him.

Semin needs to play. It's not even a debate. You want him to improve? That will happen with him getting more ice time, not less. He's used for producing offense. Nobody, not even the elite of this league, creates offense on every shift. Heck, a full game can go on with Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Pacioretty, Kane, Toews, Tavares, looking like freaking ghosts. And these guys get closer to 20 min of ice time. You give Semin around 10 min...no freaking crap he'll look lost and useless out there most of the time. Still, despite this, he never actually really hurt us out there other than a couple of *****. You can say the same for many other players.

Semin needs to play. You want him replaced, fine. Bring in a suitable replacement, not Byron. Case closed.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Semin never deserved to be scratched. That's BS. He started the year with Galch and Eller and they looked good. They created scoring chances, which is all you could actually ask from that line. You couldn't possible ask them to be defensively sound, you knew they were going to have breakdowns. It was inevitable.
So his trio slows down a bit, his linemates don't convert his set ups, he is slow and has defensive lapses, alright. We are 9-1-0. Nobody deserves to be freaking scratched. Especially not the reclamation player you're trying to build back up.
Add in the fact his replacements are 4th line grinders, heck freaking no. It's beyond stupid to scratch him.

Semin needs to play. It's not even a debate. You want him to improve? That will happen with him getting more ice time, not less. He's used for producing offense. Nobody, not even the elite of this league, creates offense on every shift. Heck, a full game can go on with Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Pacioretty, Kane, Toews, Tavares, looking like freaking ghosts. And these guys get closer to 20 min of ice time. You give Semin around 10 min...no freaking crap he'll look lost and useless out there most of the time. Still, despite this, he never actually really hurt us out there other than a couple of *****. You can say the same for many other players.

Semin needs to play. You want him replaced, fine. Bring in a suitable replacement, not Byron. Case closed.

Nailed it. I wish you could like posts on this site, we need that. Anyways I'm hoping Semin builds on this and goes on a bit of a hot streak. That's exactly what we need right now.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs having too much trouble getting puck out of their own end. I was glad when Petry got a penalty in third period. I said now they can at least ice it

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Habs having too much trouble getting puck out of their own end. I was glad when Petry got a penalty in third period. I said now they can at least ice it

1- The 2icing before that were total **** calls. Everyone was pissed about it, the guy '' fake skate to it '' and the puck barely cross the line and the player is 2feet away from it.

2- That penality right after that was even a worse call. He flip it into the bench lol. No wonder Therrien was so freaking mad screaming '' fock off '' behind the bench.

3- I agree that at least they were able to ice it, but you should have said '' at least now the refs can't make weak icing calls ''

The refs were terrible tonight, at least they were **** for bothside. More or less.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Very good game. Good to see everyone pull together and defend each other. A well deserved day off, and then hopefully we can really paddle the Isles on Sunday!

I think that Price will really help this team and we may go on another winning streak quite soon. We really missed his puck control, which helps out the attack quite a bit. It will be interesting to see where we stand at the Xmas break, because if Price helps us with our winning percentage we may already be virtually assures a playoff spot by then.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Good to get that win in the 2bd half if a back to back. The guys were clearly tired but that's what you expect.

Let's try to start another win streak now instead if the win one lose one we have going on lately

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
considering that three line change could easily happen during two minutes and given the fact MT has full confidence in our third line I really don't know what's so hard to understand why DD and his linemates are playing.

Yeah you put the first line, the fourth line and the third line with Eller centering it. 3 lines in the last 2 minutes to defend.

I don't understand what's so hard to get about that.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I agree that he should have been scratched for a few games but Semin is way better than Sekac and people were complaining since the first game Sekac was scratched.

Semin has a good season all things considered, but I hope he gets hot.

Are you serious? Semin has a good season? Sorry man, I don't think we're watching the same player.

Yeah you put the first line, the fourth line and the third line with Eller centering it. 3 lines in the last 2 minutes to defend.

I don't understand what's so hard to get about that.

Desharnais is not as bad defensively as some people try to paint him. Plus, what do you think the perception would be if Desharnais who is a proud and strong contributor on this winning Habs team, doesn't even see the ice when there's two minutes left? And the decision would be based on what? There is nothing in DD's current play - offensively AND defensively- suggesting that he would deserve to get benched at ANY point during the game.

We'll agree to disagree on this one then.

Semin was sticking out like a sore thumb during the 9 game winning streak and that streak is what kept him in the lineup for so long. He was vastly inefficient, didn't get enough shots through, trying low percentage plays, no speed, low effort level, etc.

Listen, I'm not saying we had a perfect fit to replace him on the second line, we clearly didn't. At one point though, Therrien has to make him accountable for his lack lustre play. Yes he is an easy target to pick on but he put himself in that position. At this stage of his career, Semin no longer gets the benefit of the doubt and it's up to him to double up on the effort to prove everyone they were wrong to snob him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Price wasn't at his best, still not sure about that 1st goal counting but oh well.
The goal counted because it was minimal contact and the puck was in play. Goals like that should always count and that's the way I like my hockey.

However, seeing what the refs have been overturning this season with the replays, there is no way in hell that that goal should stand. If constancy exists in the league and it doesn't, just like the Zibanejad goalkick(I'm still not over it), I'd say we got a reputation call only reversed. We got an anti Gallagher call.

I may be irrational about the whole thing but I agree with you 100% percent that it shouldn't count in the optics of consistency and to a certain point, justice.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Desharnais is not as bad defensively as some people try to paint him. Plus, what do you think the perception would be if Desharnais who is a proud and strong contributor on this winning Habs team, doesn't even see the ice when there's two minutes left? And the decision would be based on what? There is nothing in DD's current play - offensively AND defensively- suggesting that he would deserve to get benched at ANY point during the game.
DD is having a nice season, but seriously, take off the rose coloured glasses...even the Pens fans can admit Crosby is struggling, so..........;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The goal counted because it was minimal contact and the puck was in play. Goals like that should always count and that's the way I like my hockey.

However, seeing what the refs have been overturning this season with the replays, there is no way in hell that that goal should stand. If constancy exists in the league and it doesn't, just like the Zibanejad goalkick(I'm still not over it), I'd say we got a reputation call only reversed. We got an anti Gallagher call.

I may be irrational about the whole thing but I agree with you 100% percent that it shouldn't count in the optics of consistency and to a certain point, justice.

I don't like it as a goal since he crosschecked price and forced it lose, it's a close one as the contact wasn't so bad but enough to jar it lose. Goalies should never be hit in the blue to force a puck lose.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
You know we got a good team when a 5-3 win gets 4 tiny pages

Also only 5 pages in the PGT for the loss against the Coyotes on Thursday. Usually after a Habs loss the PGT is really active but that doesn't even seem to be happening much this season. Even GDT's don't make it to 40 pages for games some nights. Members just don't seem to be very active around here of late or they've moved on from here.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

You don't put a C out to protect a 1 goal lead that you wouldn't put out to kill penalties. It's not just about being close to or above 50%, it's also what a centericeman does when he loses the draw.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
DD is having a nice season, but seriously, take off the rose coloured glasses...even the Pens fans can admit Crosby is struggling, so..........;)

I am not wearing rose coloured glasses, I'm just tired to read unwarranted criticism that seems to have become the norm here on HF.

I'm well aware that Desharnais is not the best but that doesn't mean he can't do the job and deserve to get benched systematically in the last 2 minutes of every games we're leading by one goal. The Habs are one of the best defensively structured team and Desharnais is efficient within this structure and can certainly be trusted out there more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad