Habs vs Preds: Who won the Subban/Webber Trade?

At the end of the day, who won the trade?

• Montreal Canadiens

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Nashville Predators

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Even

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
One of the biggest block buster trade in the past decade.
Subban sadly annouced his exit from the sport. Shea Weber is now a member of the Vegas Golden Knight, and he's on vacation, living the good life on Robidas Island.

So now is the time to reflect on both epic career.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
City of Montreal lost big time, because with even half-assed competent management Subban should never have been traded. It was a complete debacle the series of events (ie Therrien not being fired) that led to him being traded, which was stupid and never should have reached that point. I also think his game would have aged better if he stayed in Montreal, so in a "what if" scenario, I think PK's longevity ends up slightly different without the move.

From a purely hockey perspective though - it turned out pretty even. Both players did great in their new environments for a few years. As much as I hated the trade when it happened, I never had doubts that both players were still great/would thrive in their new environment.

There's no way in hell Nashville makes the final without Subban, he was fantastic that run.
Weber did really good in Montreal too, and was also solid in Habs final run.

Voted even - but I still absolutely hate this trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sounds like both teams liked the trade? Subban was great for us, it's just sad it was so briefly. Well, both Subban and Weber were damaged goods and ended up being unable to play out their careers in good health, unfortunately, which is something that perhaps neither side was counting on initially, but maybe the Preds even less so because we thought we were getting the younger and less-beat-up player, which was a selling point. Little did we know that Subban would also disintegrate so quickly. :(

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted. Subban was better for us than Weber would have been, in that short timeframe, and luckily Poile managed to escape his contract before it became a burden that would have really tarnished his legacy with us. (Poile has been on quite the roll escaping contracts on RD --- Weber, then Subban, then Ellis.) But still, probably a lot of fans have nostalgia for the peak Weber as he had a longer run of prominence with us, so over time you can already see the revisionist tendencies creeping back in favor of Weber.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Incredible how lateral this trade ended up being. The first few years it looked like the Preds were the clear winners but PK dropped off sooner than expected while Weber lead the Habs to the SCF. I guess in the end both teams got what they were looking for, coming just short of the big prize, but I remember how HATED this deal was at the time it happened, especially in Montreal, that I don't think the bad blood regarding it will go away any time soon.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Surprisingly even. Both players contributed to a Stanley Cup appearance for their respective teams.

It shouldn’t have been close but who saw Subban’s sharp decline coming? Edmonton dodged a bullet. Good thing for them Bergevin got greedy and this allowed them to keep Draisaitl.

Reactions: WinterLion

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think I can probably say this ended up being a win - win. Except for those fans that are still crying about it in Montreal.

Its hard to say if Nashville would have made the cup finals with Weber in 2017 or not - but PK in those playoffs was playing at about as high of a level as he ever did, and had just a different effect on the game than Weber did. So I'll say that Nashville wouldn't have made the finals in 2017 if the trade was not made.

In 2021, PK's game had fallen off a cliff and while Weber had declined significantly, his level of play was still higher than PK's - who was a bottom pairing defenseman the last couple years of his career.. I think its also safe to say that Montreal doesn't make the SCF in 2021 with PK instead of Weber.

Looking at their careers post trade:

Weber:
275GP, 58G 88A, 146pts +31
Per 82 - 17G 26A 43pts +9
Per Season (5) 55GP 12G 17A 29pts +6

Subban:
400GP, 52G 137A -30
Per 82 - 11G 28A 39pts -5
Per season (6) 66GP, 9G 23A 32Pts -5

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Fans lost a very exciting player when the Habs traded Subban, but the team gained an amazing leader. I think in the long run Weber's leadership will tilt it for Montreal. Nashville almost won a cup with Subban and added a bunch of personality. Very close.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
City of Montreal lost big time, because with even half-assed competent management Subban should never have been traded. It was a complete debacle the series of events (ie Therrien not being fired) that led to him being traded, which was stupid and never should have reached that point. I also think his game would have aged better if he stayed in Montreal, so in a "what if" scenario, I think PK's longevity ends up slightly different without the move.

From a purely hockey perspective though - it turned out pretty even. Both players did great in their new environments for a few years. As much as I hated the trade when it happened, I never had doubts that both players were still great/would thrive in their new environment.

There's no way in hell Nashville makes the final without Subban, he was fantastic that run.
Weber did really good in Montreal too, and was also solid in Habs final run.

Voted even - but I still absolutely hate this trade.

This is my point of view too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad