Prospect Info: Habs top 10 prospects list post WJC

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Last few highlights I've seen from Owen Sound, he's flying out there. But I've heard many say he will be below average at the NHL level.
Probably more due to his style of game. I guess I could say he's a floater but he's always in good position. Very intelligent but maybe he thinks a little too much out there. He's a complimentary player but you give him space and it's GG.

He's really fast and often beats guys with a quick inside cut. His biggest issue is strength but that's not too hard to address. I think he'll be great.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Probably more due to his style of game. I guess I could say he's a floater but he's always in good position. Very intelligent but maybe he thinks a little too much out there. He's a complimentary player but you give him space and it's GG.

He's really fast and often beats guys with a quick inside cut. His biggest issue is strength but that's not too hard to address. I think he'll be great.

He was my clear number 1 before the world juniors.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was my clear number 1 before the world juniors.
His game didn't translate well on that stage but how much of it was casting and how much of it was development? I'm concerned about a lack of killer instinct he seemed to play a nice game when I'd rather he play a filthy game.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There are several prospects with the potential to be middle six forwards and second pairing dmen.

Which have the potential to be first line forwards and first pairing dmen?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling could replace Chaput on that 4th line today IMO.

I would like that at the end of his college season. But then we have to protect him in the Seattle expansion draft.

Therefore, he'll have to wait until next fall to play in the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There are several prospects with the potential to be middle six forwards and second pairing dmen.

A lot have the potential. But will they make it?

Suzuki, Poehling, Romanov and Brook could surprise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's a good question and way to dam hard to predict. Draft plus 1/2 years of development is the first thing you look at. Next is how do they look when they turn pro and there is less time and space. Sometimes this kills any momentum.

- Romanov and Brook are top 4D. Both could be average top 4D or both could be top pairing D. Development is on them to be hungry to keep improving their game.

- I don't consider Poehling a top line forward. Middle 2C somewhere. His true evaluation is the value he provides in the 200' game and not solely on point production.

- Suzuki has top line RW potential. A play making winger with great vision and ability to score.

- Ylonen is similar to Lehkonen IMO. Middle 6 winger.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't see anything, what are his rankings ?

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2019-01-15-%C3%A0-10.49.43.png

Reactions: Habsddicted

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Let's wait to see him play a NHL game before talking about how he's looking to be the steal no?..

Well, that can be said about most of the kids drafted in the June 2018 draft. Only 6 players have played NHL games so really most of us can only go by how they are performing in their respective leagues in their current D+1 season.

Thus far, it’s hard to argue against Romanov as he is playing in a men’s league, in arguably the best league outside the NHL. Add to it his impressive WJC performance and recognition as the best defenceman in that tournament.

While I reserve some enthusiasm until I see him at the NHL level as well, I do understand the excitement as we are discussing him in a prospects thread.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I think Olofsson is underrated on these boards. Not saying he should be #4, but he's not that far off. Having such a big role on Team Sweden at his age is impressive.

I saw Olofsson ranked as a late 1st rounder / 2nd rd starter, on some rankings. I cant comment that much but what I've seen on his draft year was more impressive than the job done on WJC. Sometimes, you just can watch the right game. I watched Zion Williamson for the 1st time few days ago and he didnt look that good too me. One game will not change that he'll be picke 1st ov

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Weird how everyone is suddenly high on romanov in the analyst community - doesn't seem overly "étoffé" to me.

Really makes you wonder what these guys base their analysis on - are they watching khl games or a handful of wjc results?

Reactions: JohnLennon

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Weird how everyone is suddenly high on romanov in the analyst community - doesn't seem overly "étoffé" to me.

Really makes you wonder what these guys base their analysis on - are they watching khl games or a handful of wjc results?

The way I visualize, there's a small number of people who actually watch games and think (and maybe not that many KHL games), and then a whole ecosystem of people who just repackage other people's information via twitter, etc. The latter might be the most effective at attracting attention.

Basically, I think that sports journalism is like other kinds of journalism.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Romanov making the KHL at 18 is incredibly impressive... he’s been quiet over there though, so folks wanted to see how he looked against his peers- and he looked absolutely studly. He looks like a future top pairing guy to me, you just don’t see 18 year olds with his poise, skills, skating, and physicality very often.

Reactions: cphabs

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Romanov making the KHL at 18 is incredibly impressive... he’s been quiet over there though, so folks wanted to see how he looked against his peers- and he looked absolutely studly. He looks like a future top pairing guy to me, you just don’t see 18 year olds with his poise, skills, skating, and physicality very often.

Can't disagree with you there!

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The only real high end prospect is Suzuki IMO. He has the potential to be a 1st liner in the NHL. I truly think that he will at least be a good 2nd liner. After that I think there are a couple middle six guys, and a bunch of bottom six/depth guys.
On defense I don't see any prospect with more than 2nd pair upside. Brook has an outside chance of being a first pair guy, but I think the odds of him getting there are really low. I can see Romanov being a solid 2nd pair guy as well. Fleury is probably more 3rd pair that could play 2nd pair in a pinch.

I like Primeau a lot as well. Goaltenders are so hard to project though. Right now I would say his upside is as an average starter in the NHL. Which for a 7th round pick is really good

I put Brook with Suzuki as I do think he can be a top pairing D, as long as they keep him at RD. Though I seem to be higher on Brook then most around here, when I did my rankings for this season I badly wanted to put Brook at #1 but just couldn't put him over a kid that looks like he's going to put up around 300 pts over his 17/18/19 age seasons. I think Brook has that tools that you want for today's NHL although perhaps if things don't go as hoped he ends up more a 2nd pairing D. Just really love just about everything in his game, but we'll see what happens next year when he turns pro.

Goalies are so hard to predict, at least for me as it's the only position I never played at any level, even in pick up games or just messing around with friends on the pond. I remember being at the Habs development camp when Halak was there but I thought the Swede, Christopher Heino-Lindberg looked better. I remember getting fed up with Garon in the playoffs vs Hamilton and then thinking he would be a very good NHLer after we merged with Hamilton the next year as he looked so much better.

I think Olofsson is underrated on these boards. Not saying he should be #4, but he's not that far off. Having such a big role on Team Sweden at his age is impressive.

It's very hard to compare people's rankings cause each person will rank things based off different parameters and then you have the varying amount of differences between how much each person has seen 30+ prospects (as I can attest how difficult and time consuming this is) vs their knowledge and understanding of this ever evolving game. Not to knock anyone, but I know for me it took me a long time of ranking prospects to get a feel for it and even then it's more a waste of time trying to predict the future. It's more for fun and to create discussions.

With Olofsson some took offense to my view of him as a more offensive DLR, as he brings the physical tools that DLR had at the same age, size, speed, skating, strength. He's on pace to have about the same production as DLR did at the same age in the same league. Both played for Team Sweden at the WJC's, although DLR was a 3 timer and Olofsson will only be a 2 timer. The concern now is his offensive game, he hasn't recorded a point in any game in 3 months and that's very troubling. Now his teammate who was picked 2 spots after him in the draft is more then double the points in 2 more games played.

I agree Brook should be in the top 5 mix. However, I think Poehling is the closest to NHL ready. He has been playing against men for 3 seasons now. After Poehling, I agree. Brook appears to be the next guy that is closest to be ready.

Poehling likely is closest to the NHL since it's harder for D and I really hope they don't rush Brook. The NCAA is a tough league to compare with others since they only play 30-40 games and mostly just Friday/Saturday. The average age vs the CHL is 3 years higher as I believe for the CHL it's 18.5 or so and the NCAA it's 21.5 or so. Those 3 extra years of physical maturity are very big, but on the other hand they have odd schedules as well since it's a very diluted league, with 60 teams the level of competition varies wildly, as really it should be broken into 2 leagues and the top league shouldn't be playing the 2nd league as they just can't compete other then by having older players (22, 23, 24).

In the NCAA usually the top teams, the ones with the NHL draft picks as the bottom 10-20+ teams might not have even 1 NHL draft pick on their team, they tend to have a weaker schedule in the 1st half and then after the holiday break they start the 2nd half and that's where the schedules usually get much tougher in mostly conference only games before the playoffs and then the national tournament for the 16 teams that make it. It's actually a big part of how they decide on teams for the tournament, other then the ones that get an auto bid for winning their conference titles in the playoffs, the rest are chosen by record vs strength of schedule. It's a crazy formula called RPI pairwise rankings.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

I've seen a couple KHL games of his, yes, and I think he's better than Josh Brook. What he's done-- earning a top six role on CSKA's defense as an 18-year-old-- is more impressive than what Brook has done in the WHL. Defensively, he's better in every way. More attentive, physically stronger, and better decision making. His first pass is better, and that's even a strength of Brook's. He also has the awareness and reaction time to get pucks up ice quickly.

Brook is faster, but Romanov is tougher to knock over/off the puck and has a harder shot-- though Brook's a more intelligent shooter. It's not overly hard, but he's better at getting the puck on net, as well as shooting for tips/tap-ins. When in the offensive zone, he's a better puck distributor too.

Essentially, Romanov and Brook could combine to make the perfect player. It largely depends on what qualities you look for in a defenseman when deciding which one you prefer. Brook is the better playmaker, and can potentially quarterback a powerplay, much more creative player. On the flip side, Romanov's game is the epitome of efficiency. Win the puck. Skate it, or pass it quickly out of trouble and start the offense. He's a defensive defenseman who makes his living by playing as the saying dictates, "the best defense is a good offense". Get the puck out of your end and up the ice quickly and efficiently, and Price/Niemi won't be relied upon to make big saves. He's the type of player we could use on the Habs D-corps some days.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I put Brook with Suzuki as I do think he can be a top pairing D, as long as they keep him at RD. Though I seem to be higher on Brook then most around here, when I did my rankings for this season I badly wanted to put Brook at #1 but just couldn't put him over a kid that looks like he's going to put up around 300 pts over his 17/18/19 age seasons. I think Brook has that tools that you want for today's NHL although perhaps if things don't go as hoped he ends up more a 2nd pairing D. Just really love just about everything in his game, but we'll see what happens next year when he turns pro.

Goalies are so hard to predict, at least for me as it's the only position I never played at any level, even in pick up games or just messing around with friends on the pond. I remember being at the Habs development camp when Halak was there but I thought the Swede, Christopher Heino-Lindberg looked better. I remember getting fed up with Garon in the playoffs vs Hamilton and then thinking he would be a very good NHLer after we merged with Hamilton the next year as he looked so much better.

It's very hard to compare people's rankings cause each person will rank things based off different parameters and then you have the varying amount of differences between how much each person has seen 30+ prospects (as I can attest how difficult and time consuming this is) vs their knowledge and understanding of this ever evolving game. Not to knock anyone, but I know for me it took me a long time of ranking prospects to get a feel for it and even then it's more a waste of time trying to predict the future. It's more for fun and to create discussions.

With Olofsson some took offense to my view of him as a more offensive DLR, as he brings the physical tools that DLR had at the same age, size, speed, skating, strength. He's on pace to have about the same production as DLR did at the same age in the same league. Both played for Team Sweden at the WJC's, although DLR was a 3 timer and Olofsson will only be a 2 timer. The concern now is his offensive game, he hasn't recorded a point in any game in 3 months and that's very troubling. Now his teammate who was picked 2 spots after him in the draft is more then double the points in 2 more games played.

Poehling likely is closest to the NHL since it's harder for D and I really hope they don't rush Brook. The NCAA is a tough league to compare with others since they only play 30-40 games and mostly just Friday/Saturday. The average age vs the CHL is 3 years higher as I believe for the CHL it's 18.5 or so and the NCAA it's 21.5 or so. Those 3 extra years of physical maturity are very big, but on the other hand they have odd schedules as well since it's a very diluted league, with 60 teams the level of competition varies wildly, as really it should be broken into 2 leagues and the top league shouldn't be playing the 2nd league as they just can't compete other then by having older players (22, 23, 24).

In the NCAA usually the top teams, the ones with the NHL draft picks as the bottom 10-20+ teams might not have even 1 NHL draft pick on their team, they tend to have a weaker schedule in the 1st half and then after the holiday break they start the 2nd half and that's where the schedules usually get much tougher in mostly conference only games before the playoffs and then the national tournament for the 16 teams that make it. It's actually a big part of how they decide on teams for the tournament, other then the ones that get an auto bid for winning their conference titles in the playoffs, the rest are chosen by record vs strength of schedule. It's a crazy formula called RPI pairwise rankings.
not too long ago you seemed very low on the Habs pool, which, at the time, included Kotkaniemi. Now, you seem alot higher on our pool. Why the change in attitude? Did the prospects convince you? If so, it means alot that one of our bigest critics changed ship this early on.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I've seen a couple KHL games of his, yes, and I think he's better than Josh Brook. What he's done-- earning a top six role on CSKA's defense as an 18-year-old-- is more impressive than what Brook has done in the WHL. Defensively, he's better in every way. More attentive, physically stronger, and better decision making. His first pass is better, and that's even a strength of Brook's. He also has the awareness and reaction time to get pucks up ice quickly.

Brook is faster, but Romanov is tougher to knock over/off the puck and has a harder shot-- though Brook's a more intelligent shooter. It's not overly hard, but he's better at getting the puck on net, as well as shooting for tips/tap-ins. When in the offensive zone, he's a better puck distributor too.

Essentially, Romanov and Brook could combine to make the perfect player. It largely depends on what qualities you look for in a defenseman when deciding which one you prefer. Brook is the better playmaker, and can potentially quarterback a powerplay, much more creative player. On the flip side, Romanov's game is the epitome of efficiency. Win the puck. Skate it, or pass it quickly out of trouble and start the offense. He's a defensive defenseman who makes his living by playing as the saying dictates, "the best defense is a good offense". Get the puck out of your end and up the ice quickly and efficiently, and Price/Niemi won't be relied upon to make big saves. He's the type of player we could use on the Habs D-corps some days.
I put Brook over Romanov since Brook is THE perfect NHL D in the making. He has it all to be a top pairing Dman literally. The size, the beautiful skating, the skills, the IQ, the shot (altho some dont like it), hes just a beauty to watch. I compare Brook to the current Petry. Both beautiful players to watch.
Romanov is maybe a bit more electrifying but is smaller, and lacks the complete package Brook offers. A comparable for Romanov would be Mete with a heavy shot or Voynov/Orlov type of player.

Regardless, both are superb prospects to have.

Reactions: montreal

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I put Brook over Romanov since Brook is THE perfect NHL D in the making. He has it all to be a top pairing Dman literally. The size, the beautiful skating, the skills, the IQ, the shot (altho some dont like it), hes just a beauty to watch. I compare Brook to the current Petry. Both beautiful players to watch.
Romanov is maybe a bit more electrifying but is smaller, and lacks the complete package Brook offers. A comparable for Romanov would be Mete with a heavy shot or Voynov/Orlov type of player.

Regardless, both are superb prospects to have.
I think you have totally the wrong read on Romanov. Well maybe not, seeing as the comparison to Mete/Voynov/Orlov is just, but more electrifying? Hell nah. His game is all about doing everything in the most efficient and effective way possible, putting on a show is the last of his worries.

Give me an Orlov any day of the week over a Petry. Not many DFDs are sticking around nowadays, making the Petry's of the world much more common- but the defensive guys that rely on their hockey sense and first pass like Romanov are still prominent.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I think you have totally the wrong read on Romanov. Well maybe not, seeing as the comparison to Mete/Voynov/Orlov is just, but more electrifying? Hell nah. His game is all about doing everything in the most efficient and effective way possible, putting on a show is the last of his worries.

Give me an Orlov any day of the week over a Petry. Not many DFDs are sticking around nowadays, making the Petry's of the world much more common- but the defensive guys that rely on their hockey sense and first pass like Romanov are still prominent.
Huh?? :huh::huh:
If u cared to read what I wrote, you would realize I said more electrifying than Brook's style of game not more than Orlov or Voynov. LMAO.

And I would take a Petry over a Orlov any day of the week, no questions asked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad