Prospect Info: Habs top 10 prospects according to Pronman

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Of all our prospects, Reway seems to draw the greatest disagreement level from scouts.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Pretty much everyone had Grigorenko in the top three (behind Yakupov, and very closely tied with Galchenyuk) heading into the 2012 draft...it was a huge shock when he and Forsberg (consensus #4) dropped as low as they did.

2012 was a highly unusual draft class...it's otherwise unheard of for 8 of the top 10 spots to go to defensemen.

Patrick Roy most certainly knows the true value of Mikhail Grigorenko, as his coach/owner of the Quebec Remparts. Don't sell that kid short just yet, also grabbing former London Knight Nikita Zadorov in the O'Reilly trade, Colorado just beefed up their lineup and became younger into the process. Sakic & Roy know hockey Believe Dat!!!:popcorn:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Of all our prospects, Reway seems to draw the greatest disagreement level from scouts.

If Reway succeeds in becoming an NHL force, a lot of scouts will truly rue the fact he slipped through to the Habs in the 4th round 116th OV, after playing in NA in the QMJHL for all to see.:nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Huh, no. Wouldnt even crack our top 20 prospects based on compete level alone.

Agreed, at least in the defensive zone, his compete level is not that high. I've seen him stop skating a bunch of times. I have a lot of concerns over his play but I'd also say he's one of the funniest prospects to watch play a game.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Agreed, at least in the defensive zone, his compete level is not that high. I've seen him stop skating a bunch of times. I have a lot of concerns over his play but I'd also say he's one of the funniest prospects to watch play a game.

In the offensive zone I find his compete level to be extremely good. He may not be solid in the defensive end, but he's not a defensive player or really drafted to be a two-way guy.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
In the offensive zone I find his compete level to be extremely good. He may not be solid in the defensive end, but he's not a defensive player or really drafted to be a two-way guy.

I hear this opinion alot but it simply doesn't work that way. Every player is expected to be atleast competent defensively. Players that are allowed to ignore their defensive responsiblities play for losing clubs.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Reway succeeds in becoming an NHL force, a lot of scouts will truly rue the fact he slipped through to the Habs in the 4th round 116th OV, after playing in NA in the QMJHL for all to see.:nod:

Jamie Benn, who won an Art Ross last year, is possibly the most successful fourth round draft pick in NHL history.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Jamie Benn, who won an Art Ross last year, is possibly the most successful fourth round draft pick in NHL history.

The difference being that if the draft age was 20, Benn would likely have been a top 10 pick whereas Reway might have dropped even lower than a 4th rounder imo as he simply didn't show much improvement in junior then split fo Europe where he has impressed but questions about his commitment to playing in the NHL would be raised.

This is the problem with the whole "pedigree" argument as it is based on a snapshot as an 18 year old. There are many prospects who would be top 10 picks as 17 year olds who bomb out at 18 but they are not considered to have pedigree. The draft age of 18 puts a completely unreasonable expectation of success on many prospects due to their draft position at that exact instance in time. If you really want to see examples of true pedigree then players would need to be drafted at 21. I am in no way lobbying for this to be implemented but just pointing out how misleading the draft position of an 18 year old boy can be.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Based on potential:

1. Scherbak
2. Hudon
3. Juulsen/McCarron
4. McCarron/Juulsen
5. DLR
6. Tinordi
7. Fucale
8. Andrighetto
9. Lernout
10. Vejdemo/Lehkonen/Reway

I hear this opinion alot but it simply doesn't work that way. Every player is expected to be atleast competent defensively. Players that are allowed to ignore their defensive responsiblities play for losing clubs.

Exactly. Not every player is expected to be a Gilmour (two-way), Kirk Muller (two-way), but...not putting any effort defensively is like giving the finger to your teammates who do put the effort.

You have to put some effort...you can't stop skating when it's time to put some defensive effort. Losing clubs have a lot of those players (or I assume so). It's a losing mentality.

P.S.: of course there's the offensive player who is given TWO two-way forwards to play with to balance out the line, but still...Reway has to give some effort defensively, even though he's a very gifted offensive player. You do it for the team, you do it to win.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Exactly. Not every player is expected to be a Gilmour (two-way), Kirk Muller (two-way), but...not putting any effort defensively is like giving the finger to your teammates who do put the effort.

You have to put some effort...you can't stop skating when it's time to put some defensive effort. Losing clubs have a lot of those players (or I assume so). It's a losing mentality.

p.s.: of course there's the offensive player who is given TWO two-way forwards to play with to balance out the line, but still...Reway has to give some effort defensively, even though he's a very gifted offensive player. You do it for the team, you do it to win.

Well said!

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

I definitely agree, and I don't think he'll be great defensively but I think he'll be competent enough defensively that if he makes the NHL his offense will make up for his average defensive play, by the time he makes it if he does.

I also wouldn't say he completely ignores his defensive responsibilities. Rather, he's played more-so in an offensive role for the most part. Shame we can't get him on our AHL club so he could improve in that area but I think two-way play is simply something that can be improved over time, especially with young players.

He'll never be Patrice Bergeron, but if he can be competent defensively while still being competitive in the offensive zone I think he could be a good player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I definitely agree, and I don't think he'll be great defensively but I think he'll be competent enough defensively that if he makes the NHL his offense will make up for his average defensive play, by the time he makes it if he does.

I also wouldn't say he completely ignores his defensive responsibilities. Rather, he's played more-so in an offensive role for the most part. Shame we can't get him on our AHL club so he could improve in that area but I think two-way play is simply something that can be improved over time, especially with young players.

He'll never be Patrice Bergeron, but if he can be competent defensively while still being competitive in the offensive zone I think he could be a good player.

It's hard to say how his game will translate to the pro level and we don't know if/when we will find out. I do agree to an extent that if his offensive game fully translates, which I'm not sure if it will or not, but if it does it might be so good that it would make up for his defensive issues. The concern I have is more about the lack of effort at times in his own end as I saw him a lot last year and there were times he would just stop skating and I know that is not going to fly here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think it is ridiculous that McCarron is that low and Hudon is not a better prospect than Scherbak IMO....

Top 10 des espoirs des Canadiens

1-Charles Hudon
2-Noah Juulsen
3-Nikita Scherbak
4-Martin Reway
5-Artturi Lehkonen
6-Jarred Tinordi
7-Zachary Fucale
8-Sven Andrighetto
9-Jérémy Grégoire
10-Michael McCarron

Pronman had a good call on Lehkonen at 5, would not have put him that high although McCarron at 10 was a joke at the time and looks terrible now. Gregoire has not impressed at all in the AHL so far. Still shocked that someone had Hudon ranked at #1 and I've been a big fan of his since his junior days.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Pronman had a good call on Lehkonen at 5, would not have put him that high although McCarron at 10 was a joke at the time and looks terrible now. Gregoire has not impressed at all in the AHL so far. Still shocked that someone had Hudon ranked at #1 and I've been a big fan of his since his junior days.

MM at 10 is downright laughable. He should have been in everyone's top 5 at the very least.

My top 3 going into the season was MM, Scherbak and Hudon in no particular order. You could build a case for any as #1, maybe less so for Hudon but he had a very good rookie AHL season and that speaks volumes. Now McCarron is following in Hudon's footsteps.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Gotta wonder how some of these guys just blossom the year following their eligibility.
Imagine how different every draft would look if they gave the kids one more year. :amazed:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Same as Gallagher

Really? Gallagher was round 5? thought 7,anyways, those guys that make it after being drafted after 2nd round deserve kudos! A lot of 1st rounders don't even make it,gotta have speed and hockey smarts and the hands when you get a chance and be smart in the d zone.

Think Scherback has a lot of O skill,good to go for the net stuff,just not the top 2 way mindset that could be a downfall in MTL. Hudon has got very good vision,could become another Claude Giroux,or Deharnhais, Big Mac would probably be best suited to R-Wing unless he can develop.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
How would you rank our prospects ? Do you have any chance to see Lehknonen or Reway ?
Are Carr and Thomas still considered as prospect ?

VinceHabs

Aug 2, 2015
Montréal
My current top 10

1- McCarron - He's been great in the last 2 years. He could become a great replacement for Plekanec when he leaves.
2- Scherbak - Not a great start to his AHL career, but is not at 100% and I still think he can be a top 6 player. Once he gets back to 100%, he might go back to #1.
3- Hudon - Great vision and abilities. Really hopes he gets a shot in the top 6 this year or out of camp next year.
4- Juulsen - His offensive numbers aren't there this year, but his team is the lowest scoring team and apparently he is dominant defensively. D with the most upside in the system.
5- Lekhonen - Hasn't had the most spotlight of the prospects, but he is doing remarkably well. Should be an interesting guy to keep an eye on in the next camp.
6- Andrighetto - We are seeing what he brings in the NHL right now. Don't think he gets sent down again.
7- Fucale - Had his ups and downs but is doing well in the AHL.
8- De la Rose - Has showed he can play in the NHL, but is having a disappointing season in the AHL. He is still young and people seem to forget that.
9- Reway - Offense, offense, offense. Boom or bust. Will have a better idea once he actually comes to camp (if he ever does).
10- Lernout - Brings something Tinordi was supposed to bring. Big, nasty D with some puck moving and skating abilities.
HM- Addison - I don't what it is about him, but I just like him. Probably a bottom line guy at best, but I still like his speed and compete.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I think Fucale deserves a spot in our top 10, not sure where but aside from that one rough game vs. the Marlies he's put up a very good record at 7-2-2 and his stats would look pretty solid if you don't factor in that game.

VinceHabs

Aug 2, 2015
Montréal
I think Fucale deserves a spot in our top 10, not sure where but aside from that one rough game vs. the Marlies he's put up a very good record at 7-2-2 and his stats would look pretty solid if you don't factor in that game.

completely forgot about him in my ranking lol. Edited it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
My current top 10

1- McCarron - He's been great in the last 2 years. He could become a great replacement for Plekanec when he leaves.
2- Scherbak - Not a great start to his AHL career, but is not at 100% and I still think he can be a top 6 player. Once he gets back to 100%, he might go back to #1.
3- Hudon - Great vision and abilities. Really hopes he gets a shot in the top 6 this year or out of camp next year.
4- Juulsen - His offensive numbers aren't there this year, but his team is the lowest scoring team and apparently he is dominant defensively. D with the most upside in the system.
5- Lekhonen - Hasn't had the most spotlight of the prospects, but he is doing remarkably well. Should be an interesting guy to keep an eye on in the next camp.
6- Andrighetto - We are seeing what he brings in the NHL right now. Don't think he gets sent down again.
7- Fucale - Had his ups and downs but is doing well in the AHL.
8- De la Rose - Has showed he can play in the NHL, but is having a disappointing season in the AHL. He is still young and people seem to forget that.
9- Reway - Offense, offense, offense. Boom or bust. Will have a better idea once he actually comes to camp (if he ever does).
10- Lernout - Brings something Tinordi was supposed to bring. Big, nasty D with some puck moving and skating abilities.
HM- Addison - I don't what it is about him, but I just like him. Probably a bottom line guy at best, but I still like his speed and compete.

Here are mine...

1-McCarron-hard to argue with what he's doing in the AHL at 20 and the progress the last 2 years.

2-Scherbak-injuries and struggled but he is barely 20 so he's still up there

3-Hudon-hockey sense and skill, safe bet to be an NHLer, remains to be seen how good

4-Fucale-pretty smooth transition to AHL, took #1 job from Tokarski

5-Andrighetto-similar to Hudon but a year older

6-Juulsen-really smart and steady d-man

7-Lehkonen-nice break out this year in Frolunda

8-DLR-really took a step backwards, needs to get his head right and grow in 2nd half

9-Carr-just keeps producing, good be a solid depth player

10-Evans-really nice progression from last year

HM-Reway Vedejmo Lernout Audette McNiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad