Speculation: Habs to bring back Joel Bouchard!?

MightyYo

Aug 10, 2021
How is a thread, with a title like this, allowed to stay up? This is someone’s personal musing, nothing to support it, just some random opinion with zero based in fact. I’ve seen things taken down with much more content than these “thoughts.”
Would you like some cheese with your "whine". Wow some people complain about anything. :laugh:

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Would you like some cheese with your "whine". Wow some people complain about anything. :laugh:

I’m far from the only one on here that’s mentioned it so far. You posted something that was presented almost as a fact (without even the speculation title which as added after), when it was just convoluted musings.

You have a total of 4 posts, maybe learn the board rules before starting threads?

Reactions: Schooner Guy

MightyYo

Aug 10, 2021
Thanks. You should look up speculation in the dictionary - or have you already been there and done that:nod::laugh:

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Not sure why this thread is ongoing. Might be relevant later in the season but after reaching the Stanley Cup finals, a coach has more leeway especially if missing many core players.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Coaches are evaluated a little too much on team success. Some guys get respect because they were able to choose to go to good teams, some guys are not because they went to bad teams that couldn't win with any coach. I suspect that only a few coaches have a significant positive impact.
a coach at this level (and it is about time) is all about managing personalities, and optimizing talent. Nothing to do with "systems".. NHL players can play any system, and quite frankly systems are easily thrown out the window with how fast this game is, and depending on score.
they key is to identify IQs of players, and their ability to handle certain situations. While skill is visible, it's the IQ that makes a player great. name me one player in the past 30 years who finished top 10 in scoring, and is dumb as a doorknob. while it is very easy to find 4th liners who have skill but no brains.

This has held true for NFL QBs for a while now. the perfect example of how skill means nothing is they dont know how to "read" the game. I say Hockey players must have the same IQ as QBs. 120+ should be minimum. and we all "know" that doorknob from our junior years... full of talent, but so dumb.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
a coach at this level (and it is about time) is all about managing personalities, and optimizing talent. Nothing to do with "systems".. NHL players can play any system, and quite frankly systems are easily thrown out the window with how fast this game is, and depending on score.
they key is to identify IQs of players, and their ability to handle certain situations. While skill is visible, it's the IQ that makes a player great. name me one player in the past 30 years who finished top 10 in scoring, and is dumb as a doorknob. while it is very easy to find 4th liners who have skill but no brains.

This has held true for NFL QBs for a while now. the perfect example of how skill means nothing is they dont know how to "read" the game. I say Hockey players must have the same IQ as QBs. 120+ should be minimum. and we all "know" that doorknob from our junior years... full of talent, but so dumb.

I doubt ability to play hockey and read plays tracks with, say, studying physics even though the hockey player ends up doing a lot of unconscious calculus and physics.

Teams play different systems. Therrien’s teams always started fast because he kept it simple. They would win games until other teams worked out their more complicated but more effective systems and then they’d be just OK.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Thanks. You should look up speculation in the dictionary - or have you already been there and done that:nod::laugh:

I probably forgot more yesterday than you’ll learn in all your tomorrow’s, and I’m certainly smart enough to know that the guy the Habs let walk as their AHL coach won’t be coming here to coach their NHL team less than a year later. I don’t even have to “speculate” on that at all, it’s something most people with over a double digit IQ would know and understand. I’d “speculate” that maybe you don’t meet those qualifications though.

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec

Alex Ovechkin, Tyler Bertuzzi, Tony DeAngelo whom all have great start this year.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I doubt ability to play hockey and read plays tracks with, say, studying physics even though the hockey player ends up doing a lot of unconscious calculus and physics.

Teams play different systems. Therrien’s teams always started fast because he kept it simple. They would win games until other teams worked out their more complicated but more effective systems and then they’d be just OK.
I'm not sure IQ tests are based off of classroom education like SATs, etc.. but the speed of hockey with myriad variables make it so level of intelligence plays a huge role. I "assume" scouts are looking for this, but Im not sure to what extent - especially if said "scouts" are just rink rats and look for players who "stay" longer after practice etc..
the QB example is perfect for hockey players. And while I advocate for smarts (always) it doesn't mean that is the only asset - otherwise every Harvard player would be a star.. There is a difference btw book smart and ice smart, but either way IQ will generally be statistically correct over the course of a career. Only trouble is figuring out Russians (draft eligible). I'd venture a guess that Yakupov had a sub 100 IQ..

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I'm not sure IQ tests are based off of classroom education like SATs, etc.. but the speed of hockey with myriad variables make it so level of intelligence plays a huge role. I "assume" scouts are looking for this, but Im not sure to what extent - especially if said "scouts" are just rink rats and look for players who "stay" longer after practice etc..
the QB example is perfect for hockey players. And while I advocate for smarts (always) it doesn't mean that is the only asset - otherwise every Harvard player would be a star.. There is a difference btw book smart and ice smart, but either way IQ will generally be statistically correct over the course of a career. Only trouble is figuring out Russians (draft eligible). I'd venture a guess that Yakupov had a sub 100 IQ..

You need people with a natural talent, a genius, for hockey. I don’t think Gretzky is particularly good at other fields, even coaching, but he knew hockey. The best can’t calculate, or even describe, what they do, but they do it. Artists.

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I once watch a poker tournement with Ovi in and trust me that guy is dumb.
I dont agree.. Russians throw a curve ball. yeah he's missing a tooth lol, but that doesnt mean he's dumb.. Dude scores on command - you need massive smarts to be a pure goal scorer in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad