Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Antti Niemi to one-year, one-way contract

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like that we signed Niemi to a one year deal. He's a solid proven backup to Price! This "re-tool" strategy does have me scared though as I don't want to be a middle of the pack team. It will be interesting to see the moves we make at the draft and this summer.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Habs announced it on their website themselves. First time they openly announce the AAV.

On their tweet, it only said One-Year, One-Way. But in that tweet they offer the link to the Habs' official site where they mention the AAV.

TSN690 mentioned something about the Habs hiring someone in the communications dept earlier this morning. I didn't catch the name.

It's on the Habs twitter. He doesn't start until Aug 6th though.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Worst case he gets waived like he was 3-4 times this season. Better than Scrivens.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Niemi played well enough to earn an NHL contract, but it shouldn't have been with us.

Lindgren is more then ready to be our backup, it makes no sense to screw around with his development so that Niemi is around. It's the same mistakes we made with Pateryn/Tinordi/Beaulieu, we would sign marginal players which caused them to not get the ice time they needed to develop.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Underwhelmed by Lindgren and McNiven's seasons...you had no choice but to keep Niemi. Good move. Yet, I guess that the insane goalie depth we have will have to wait before it becomes insane again...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Is it better for Lindgren's development to sit on the bench in the NHL as opposed to be playing in the AHL? Considering that he will not replace Price as a regular anyway. This way you can still give Lindgren some games, but you don't need to sit him on the bench needlessly watching Price play.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If Lindgren wasn’t waiver exempt, i’d say this is dumb. But since he is, it makes perfect sense. Niemi showed he has atleast a little gas left last season and deserved to be resigned.

Reactions: Habs100

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I wonder if Charlie will be on the move.

Last year Chris Terry, Matt Taormina, Carr and many others were making NHL money in the AHL. It's normal. It doesn't mean Lindgren will or should be traded. He has no trade value anyways.

Lindgren needs to play 50 - 60 games anyways. He shouldn't be the back up to a goalie who plays as many games as Price.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Maybe Carey is pissed at the overall management, players thrown under the bus, himself included and singled out, by dum-dumb who is responsible for the lack of morale, eg: attitude.

Price traded?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Habs announced it on their website themselves. First time they openly announce the AAV.

On their tweet, it only said One-Year, One-Way. But in that tweet they offer the link to the Habs' official site where they mention the AAV.

This must be apart of the greater transparency and better communication Molson promised. I wonder how this will translate when it comes to disclosing injuries during the season and keeping fans updated on progress. The Habs are by far the worst organization when it comes to that and it has been like that even before Bergevin got here (Ex: The Markov fiasco in 2011-12).

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Last year Chris Terry, Matt Taormina, Carr and many others were making NHL money in the AHL. It's normal. It doesn't mean Lindgren will or should be traded. He has no trade value anyways.

Lindgren needs to play 50 - 60 games anyways. He shouldn't be the back up to a goalie who plays as many games as Price.
Another big thing too is Lindgren may finally be apart of a winning team. He has been apart of two terrible defensive teams with the Ice Caps and Rockets, with Bouchard now in charge Lindgren may finally know what it is like to be a key part of a team trying to win and could be apart of a strong playoff run. Gaining that experience is far more important than sitting on the bench in the NHL,

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Niemi played well enough to earn an NHL contract, but it shouldn't have been with us.

Lindgren is more then ready to be our backup, it makes no sense to screw around with his development so that Niemi is around. It's the same mistakes we made with Pateryn/Tinordi/Beaulieu, we would sign marginal players which caused them to not get the ice time they needed to develop.

The problem with that analogy is that if he did make Lindgren our backup he would not get to see the ice time he needs to develop as he would be backup. Being the starter in Laval will give him those minutes. The Habs have one year left of Lindgren being waiver exempt, they are wise to use it or they may one day end up in the same situation with Tinordi where he couldn't be sent down without going on waivers but at the same time clearly wasn't ready for ice time.

Reactions: montreal

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'd characterize it more as unimpactful. It's a league minimum depth move.

Actually it's a good move. He does his best work in the bargain bin. Sucks out side of it.

I guess, but I just feel it's time to let Lindgren sink or swim in the backup role. And if he does win the job at camp, does Niemi then take the spot of a young guy that should be playing in Laval? Not a move that was required at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad