Prospect Info: Habs Rookie Camp (September 15-21) Roster & Games in OP

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He’s Shea minus the bomb clapper but probably better skater.

Guhle has some sneaky puck handling ability as well. I've seen him make an extra move at the blueline that most dmen would not try.

It probably won't translate to the nhl level, but it's at least nice to see that he has the confidence to try things like that. Weber was also excellent at holding the line in his day, but his way of doing it was different.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Literally the same thing that happened with all our young talent we ruined by putting them in cause our team had nobody better at the time - Can’t use them to fill holes, gotta make sure they’re actually ready.
If you are better then the worse D, you should still be good enough to play. And as a team you want the best players you can get. But it is defenitly better with more icetime in a less league as a young player.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
It absolutely is for players with NHL potential.
AHL is a development league. SHL is not. Players might have there own agenda, but i can reasure you the SHL teams would rather keep the NHL ready players. Some players could go to NHL if they wanted, but they dont want to. Dont think thats the case in AHL.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Damn Guhle isn't related to Weber ? Something there ...

E_gITlAWUAAJspg
Agreed. Same stare. Kids gonna be a gem

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
AHL is a development league. SHL is not. Players might have there own agenda, but i can reasure you the SHL teams would rather keep the NHL ready players. Some players could go to NHL if they wanted, but they dont want to. Dont think thats the case in AHL.

SHL teams want to win and helping players with NHL aspirations to get better is in their best interest in order to gain the short term benefits from doing so. From the NHL's perspective, the SHL is a league that they are very comfortable with allowing their prospects to develop in.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
SHL teams want to win and helping players with NHL aspirations to get better is in their best interest in order to gain the short term benefits from doing so. From the NHL's perspective, the SHL is a league that they are very comfortable with allowing their prospects to develop in.
What i am saying is that they are not having players on the SHL teams to be Nice to NHL. Or young players on the teams just for development. They got other Leagues for that. Or they get sent to AHL if they are on loan to SHL.

We might say the same thing in different ways.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What i am saying is that they are not having players on the SHL teams to be Nice to NHL. Or young players on the teams just for development. They got other Leagues for that. Or they get sent to AHL if they are on loan to SHL.

We might say the same thing in different ways.

I understand what you are saying.

I guess the best way to explain this is that even outside of sports, weaker organizations are typically stepping stones for their strongest employees to graduate to stronger organizations or to pursue greater individual goals. Whether weaker organizations define themselves as developmental institutions or not is irrelevant to the reality that they are in fact developing professionals for other stronger competitors.

Last edited:

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Goes to show guys that players like Guhle are underrated in most scouting lists yet typically have a higher chance of becoming an impact player in the NHL over a similarly ranked flashy, skilled player that often dominate draft rankings. i.e. Moritz Seider was ranked ~17th in concensus rankings in 2019 yet he and Caufield are favourites for the Calder coming into the season. I am not saying Guhle is the same tier as Seider but they are similar in many ways.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
“Not a development league” is a lazy cop out by the coach. If a guy is learning but is more effective than an older player you have to develop him. If the coach wants him on the team to win games it’s pathetic to hamper and bench the guy. If you need him make sure there is time to help him and if that means more coaches the habs have money.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
“Not a development league” is a lazy cop out by the coach. If a guy is learning but is more effective than an older player you have to develop him. If the coach wants him on the team to win games it’s pathetic to hamper and bench the guy. If you need him make sure there is time to help him and if that means more coaches the habs have money.
There are times, where NHL coaches love to talk out of both sides of their mouths in these cases.....love when the kid gets praise, and takes credit......throws the same kid under the bus for making mistakes.....Habs coaches have been bad, real bad for this.....
Glad to hear Guhle and Norlinder are both good picks, having good camps so far....both of these guys want on the team sooner than later!

Reactions: dcyhabs and 417

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Good chance that this is what I had heard and maybe had nothing to do with camp.

Personally I am a big proponent of keeping dmen on their natural side as playing the off hand position provides far more complications than benefits. It is only really a matter on necessity that should force a dman to play off handed other than on the PP.
I think with the quantity of LHD in the system, as well as a comparative lack of RHD, it might be useful for some of the lefties to play on their off-side. It's certainly easier to pull off for fleet-footed types like Norlinder.

I think the Soviets were big on players playing on their off-side. Certainly appears so even in today's KHL. They seem to believe it provides some important benefits offensively.

It shouldn't be forced though. The fact that Norlinder was put on the left side by his coaches in Sweden is perhaps telling.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

And where exactly is this quote about not wanting to play/develop younger players over veterans that they are outplaying.......?????

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
All leagues and all jobs are developmental, in fact if you have a philosophy that they aren't, then your philosophy is wrong.

When they say the NHL isn't a developmental league, what they mean is that they have no idea how to develop players at all and want them to be all plug and play. Which also means if a player can plug and play, they don't do anything to make them better than they currently are and as we've seen - they put the entire onus on the player.

This has also seeped into their cognitive bias that inherently a veteran player is better than a rookie player. If the veteran is consistent in his sucktitude, they play him. (see: Merrill, Jon) despite if the younger player, at his worst, is still better, because they frame the good games the rookies play as what level they should always play at and when they dip below it, they 'struggle' and can't be trusted.

The Canadiens would rather trust consistently bad veteran players than trust young players who are unequivocally better, simply because there's more peaks and valleys in their play.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I like the kid!

Somehow i thought he was bigger than 6-2 200 lbs. But it’s a damn good size for a 19 years old.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Goes to show guys that players like Guhle are underrated in most scouting lists yet typically have a higher chance of becoming an impact player in the NHL over a similarly ranked flashy, skilled player that often dominate draft rankings. i.e. Moritz Seider was ranked ~17th in concensus rankings in 2019 yet he and Caufield are favourites for the Calder coming into the season. I am not saying Guhle is the same tier as Seider but they are similar in many ways.
Let's hold our horses. Juulsen had a similar profile and even made a good impression in his first or second training camp. Development is not linear. Let's not count our eggs before they hatch

Reactions: iamtalbot

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Let's hold our horses. Juulsen had a similar profile and even made a good impression in his first or second training camp. Development is not linear. Let's not count our eggs before they hatch
I still think if he wasn’t injured and was used properly here he’d be a stud right now.

Reactions: Wats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes but without the skating and mobility that Guhle has. Also he struggled to progress offensively after his draft year whereas Guhle didn't have barely any D+1 so fans are just left to dream on what he might be which will lead to some getting carried away, right or wrong since there's so little to go off.

Reactions: Gyfu and Toro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad