Post-Game Talk: Habs @ Preds 7pm tributes, slap shots and the russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
If he's 27 years old like Wilson, no.

By the way, I'd love for our fan base to get big enough where people think badly about the Preds coming to town. Also, I worked with the Panthers for a season and you haven't seen an away takeover like you've seen Montreal in Florida. It's unreal. But in my experience their fans were cool, so whatever.

So I can compare Fiala to nylander?

So you'd love for the preds fan base to get ridiculed?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So I can compare Fiala to nylander?

So you'd love for the preds fan base to get ridiculed?
There's no denying that 27 year olds in their prime should be expected to, in almost every circumstance, be more productive than 20 year olds. I'm not sure why you're so open to dismissing his age so easily.

And I'd love to have a large core fan base, yes. Just because a team has a large fan base doesn't mean they deserve to be ridiculed.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
There's no denying that 27 year olds in their prime should be expected to, in almost every circumstance, be more productive than 20 year olds. I'm not sure why you're so open to dismissing his age so easily.

And I'd love to have a large core fan base, yes. Just because a team has a large fan base doesn't mean they deserve to be ridiculed.

So you don't want to compare nylander and Fiala?

And for a 7 OA pick yeah he's been bad. Some posters will claim the preds were never bad enough to get a high pick but I think 4th and 7th over all are pretty high.

Btw you brought up his age to begin with but if Fiala is putting up these numbers it's ok? If age is what you want to go with than every player not named mcdavid who's older than him is a bust.

Also, You just said two posts below that you wished that the preds fan base was thought badly upon visiting.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

And for a 7 OA pick yeah he's been bad. Some posters will claim the preds were never bad enough to get a high pick but I think 4th and 7th over all are pretty high.

Btw you brought up his age to begin with but if Fiala is putting up these numbers it's ok? If age is what you want to go with than every player not named mcdavid who's older than him is a bust.

Also, You just said two posts below that you wished that the preds fan base was thought badly upon visiting.
I'm sorry but I don't know what to say about Fiala anymore. It's like if you don't recognize the joker in the room you're probably the joker. Nothing against you but sometimes what I view as irrational just can't be swayed. No, Fiala is not Nylander. Big deal. Speaking of revisionist history, you mentioned the 4th pick, and we took Jones, who was fine, and he turned into Johansen. No harm done there at all.

I said viewed badly but that can mean a lot of things. I meant I wish we had a fan base that was large enough to spark negative emotions because there would be so many of us. Most away fans are fine, no matter the team. Chicago, St Louis, New York, Philly, whatever. Most are fine. Just because there are a lot of away fans doesn't mean they're obnoxious. I'm going to the game in Colorado next weekend for the 5th straight year and yes I'd love the thought of 7,000 Preds fans there.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
All Habs fans I came in contact last night were just wonderful - a lady on her first Nashville visit even said, "have a good game" before we went to our seats. I don't envision one of those freshly-purchased red jersey team's fans using that phrase EVER.
As far as Radu, when he returned in the 2012 season I was so happy I secretly hid one of the few 47 jerseys being made available in the pro shop. But the Arizona antics were just unacceptable with so much on the line. I enjoyed each and every second of booing him for that alone last night, wanting deep down to have him still in Gold.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Sheesh, Fiala was taken 11th overall.

Looking at the overall success rate for that pick, and the even more amusing span of time it took for those picks that ended up being successful, to actually reach that point, history is on his side for now.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
All Habs fans I came in contact last night were just wonderful - a lady on her first Nashville visit even said, "have a good game" before we went to our seats. I don't envision one of those freshly-purchased red jersey team's fans using that phrase EVER.
As far as Radu, when he returned in the 2012 season I was so happy I secretly hid one of the few 47 jerseys being made available in the pro shop. But the Arizona antics were just unacceptable with so much on the line. I enjoyed each and every second of booing him for that alone last night, wanting deep down to have him still in Gold.

I was listening to 104.5 in the morning and Mark Howard talked about Radulov. He said he had talked to some hockey insiders and many felt Trotz overreacted to that incident. Seems it was more a problem with Kostitesyn than Radulov.

I know most here will take everything Poile says at face value, but I, too, think they went a bit overboard and should not have made that a major crime. And Howard said Radulov actually wanted to stay here long term, too.

I think Radulov should have been given more of a chance here. He had some maturity issues but seemed he was more of a goofy character guy than some truly bad guy. But, Trotz and Poile just seemed to want to lay down the hammer just to prove a point just to show they could.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
it's certainly possible trotz and poile overreacted to this incident. don't think we will ever really know the exact story behind this whole affair that we weren't privy to. always felt like there was something more behind the story, some other underneath cause that led up to this just being the tipping point.

one thing that i believe is a real possibilty is that there was true dislike for radulov (and/or kostitsyn) behind that team's 'leadership group' led by arnott, dumont and the others and that somehow they had a voice in all this all well.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Overall the most of the picks have been mid pack (minus the early expansion years). The other problem is Poile trading away the first round picks and some bad drafting as well. And btw, that 7th was by way of trade.

2016 - 17th - Dante Fabbro
2015 - Traded to Toronto
2014 - 11th - Kevin Fiala
2013 - 4th - Seth Jones
2012 - Traded for Gaustad, 2013 4th round pick (Jusse Saros)
2011 - Traded for Fisher
2010 - 18th - Austin Watson
2009 - 11th - Ryan Ellis
2008 - 7th (from Toronto/Islanders) - Colin Wilson / 15th - Traded to Senators (Erik Karlsson) for 18th (Chet Pickard) and 2009 3rd round pick Taylor Beck
2007 - 23rd - Jonathon Blum
2006 - Traded to Capitals for Brendan Witt
2005 - 18th - Ryan Parent
2004 - 15th - Alexander Radulov
2003 - 7th - Ryan Suter
2002 - 6th - Scottie Upshall
2001 - 12th - Dan Hamhuis
2000 - 6th - Scott Hartnell
1999 - 6th - Brian Finley
1998 - 2nd (from Lightning/Sharks) - David Legwand

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I appreciate the honest response.

Rads asked for a contract extension from the preds. I'm stretching it from here but I think he got offered that contract from the khl and he told GMDP I want something similar and he didn't want to pay 3mil so he left.

Add it on to the bad decisions GMDP has made.

He's been burned 3 times by players. twice by being lied to but the one person who told him the truth people still boo him

I can't fault players leaving or looking out for their personal wealth when coaches or gm's leave To do the same.

is this true?

Because how I remember it, due to some CBA rules, Poile was unable to discuss a contract at the time that AR was in discussion with the KHL that ultimately led to him leaving.

Also, I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up - but wasn't the contract signed with the KHL pretty far out of line with what NHL RFA's were making at the time?

Considering that we have a tendency to resign our guys at least through RFA status, I'm not sure I buy the Poile didn't want him line.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
is this true?

Because how I remember it, due to some CBA rules, Poile was unable to discuss a contract at the time that AR was in discussion with the KHL that ultimately led to him leaving.

Also, I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up - but wasn't the contract signed with the KHL pretty far out of line with what NHL RFA's were making at the time?

Considering that we have a tendency to resign our guys at least through RFA status, I'm not sure I buy the Poile didn't want him line.

If I am not mistaken, around the time of the 2012 incident he asked for an extension.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Ok, I mixed it up with him leaving the first time.

This is why I have no ill feelings towards him. If he never came back then maybe, but he came back (albeit for only a month to burn the contract), then wanted to stay but the team said see ya.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
And booing him for what? Because there was no agreement between the two leagues and wanted to go back to his home country. It sounds like sour grapes because preds lost a pure goal scorer.

He expressed his desire to return to his home country or get a new deal that Malkin had recieved as well. He didn't get a contract offer so he left for more money.

He didn't lie to GMDP and the ownership. He expressed himself his desire for a new contract and wasnt offered one so he left.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...lexander-Radulov-defected-back-?urn=nhl,93407

Probably more to do with the way he conducted himself as a very selfish and immature player, who didn't keep his word. I know, kinda' old-fashioned to expect someone to honor a contract they voluntarily signed..... or to follow team rules when on road in the POs..... or not show up the other team after you score when you're a bloody rookie.... YMMV

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I appreciate the honest response.

Rads asked for a contract extension from the preds. I'm stretching it from here but I think he got offered that contract from the khl and he told GMDP I want something similar and he didn't want to pay 3mil so he left.

Add it on to the bad decisions GMDP has made.

He's been burned 3 times by players. twice by being lied to but the one person who told him the truth people still boo him

I can't fault players leaving or looking out for their personal wealth when coaches or gm's leave To do the same.

No, he left when he was still under contract. He was stuck in NHL contract hell, owing another season; so Poile takes a chance and he comes in and plays for about 10 games and burns that last year. Then he not only can't follow rules, but takes another player with him - in the playoffs. THAT is when Poile wouldn't give him the money he wanted.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This basically sums up my frustration with losing Radulov. I remember being at this game, seeing this goal, and thinking... 'oh yeah we finally have our offensive superstar back!'. Plus it was against the Blackhawks so obviously a bonus there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs5jCOGqa50

Of course I also remember thinking we wouldn't have him past the playoffs.

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto
This basically sums up my frustration with losing Radulov. I remember being at this game, seeing this goal, and thinking... 'oh yeah we finally have our offensive superstar back!'. Plus it was against the Blackhawks so obviously a bonus there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs5jCOGqa50

Of course I also remember thinking we wouldn't have him past the playoffs.

It's funny that you posted this goal vs the Hawks.

Look at Radu's goal last night against the Stars:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/radulov-dekes-around-dallas-slick-goal/

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
No, he left when he was still under contract. He was stuck in NHL contract hell, owing another season; so Poile takes a chance and he comes in and plays for about 10 games and burns that last year. Then he not only can't follow rules, but takes another player with him - in the playoffs. THAT is when Poile wouldn't give him the money he wanted.

Again rads wanted another contract from the Preds before he bolted to the khl.

Just like Malkin got from the penguins.

GMDP didn't want to do it and called his bluff that he had better offers on the table.

Read the interview. He said he was expecting a contract from GMDP and never got one. Which because of rads the NHL and khl made a transfer agreement afterwards.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Probably more to do with the way he conducted himself as a very selfish and immature player, who didn't keep his word. I know, kinda' old-fashioned to expect someone to honor a contract they voluntarily signed..... or to follow team rules when on road in the POs..... or not show up the other team after you score when you're a bloody rookie.... YMMV

You can call it selfish. I know several guys who take jobs that pay more and leave. You gotta look after yourself and family, no one else is going to.

if he that's bad of a person what should we think of Weber vouching for him for Montreal?

Again he had one year left on his ELC. He got offers from the khl and told GMDP that he wanted another contract. He didn't get offered one so he left. There wasn't agreement between the two leagues then.

He never lied to GMDP or misled the organization.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Again he had one year left on his ELC. He got offers from the khl and told GMDP that he wanted another contract. He didn't get offered one so he left. There wasn't agreement between the two leagues then.

He never lied to GMDP or misled the organization.

Legally, I don't think he could be offered a contract when he was asking for it.

Now there's always a way around coulds and shoulds but I wouldn't put it past an agent due to grab more money out of the KHL to direct him to time his request to come at a dicey point in the negotiation process. A time you knew the person couldn't legally honor your request. I don't know what happened. I don't blame the kid for taking more money, I don't blame the kid for maybe being homesick. He came back and finished up his contract. We didn't get much from it but he did do that. Had he never come back I'd feel a bit differently but it's hard for a kid to be that far away from home...and he was a kid.

I also don't blame him for what happened in Phoenix--I think that was a railroad job by Trotz and have mentioned that before. He holds grudges.

I do blame him for taking out Arnott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad