Post-Game Talk: Habs @ Preds 7pm tributes, slap shots and the russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Legally, I don't think he could be offered a contract when he was asking for it.

Now there's always a way around coulds and shoulds but I wouldn't put it past an agent due to grab more money out of the KHL to direct him to time his request to come at a dicey point in the negotiation process. A time you knew the person couldn't legally honor your request. I don't know what happened. I don't blame the kid for taking more money, I don't blame the kid for maybe being homesick. He came back and finished up his contract. We didn't get much from it but he did do that. Had he never come back I'd feel a bit differently but it's hard for a kid to be that far away from home...and he was a kid.

I also don't blame him for what happened in Phoenix--I think that was a railroad job by Trotz and have mentioned that before. He holds grudges.

I do blame him for taking out Arnott.

He could've have been and he was waiting for GMDP to offer him one. Hundreds of players have signed contracts with one year remaining.

Google produced this one first:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...ay-bouwmeester-contract-st-louis-blues-resign

Ray Shero who was assistant Gm for the preds before going to Pitts let Malkin sign a new deal with one year left and GMDP couldnt do the same with rads.

That's where I place the blame. He should've been a pred until he reached UFA status. The one time the preds draft and Develop a goal scorer and GMDP pisses the bed.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I loved the Weber tribute video, and I loved how Weber couldn't bring himself to watch it for fear of getting emotional. Such a special part of this team's history. Thank you captain!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is from the CBA of 2005: Player contracts will not be renegotiated (upward or downward) during their term. Extensions may be negotiated but only in the final year of the contract and only if such extension is for an amount that can be accommodated in a Club's upper limit for the current year or as computed for future years.

I think it's safe to say that the Preds weren't in danger of reaching the upper limit. I can not find the validity dates of the contract (July 1 to June 30 I think?) but since this happened in early July it was certainly presented during a time not typical for contract extensions of ELC's since focus is on RFA/FA resignings.

Malkin extended in June of 2013 well beyond his ELC status and under the following CBA. Gotta compare apples to apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad