Habs players' Shots & Goals Heat Map after 27 games.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
I saw that the Sporting Charts website was tracking the Shots & Goals Heat Map of the NHL players and thought it was interesting. So I decided to put all the Habs players that played with the team after 27 games together and I ranked them by shots on goal.

Here's the website if you guys want to look at it, it tracks every NHL players since 2009-2010: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/icetrack/

I will revisit those stats at the 54th game mark and 82nd game mark.

81XS06t.jpg

UY1bYCD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/81XS06t.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UY1bYCD.jpg

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This is fantastic! Thanks.

Gotta love how Gallagher's net-presence looks like a giant blob from a horror flic.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
so the vast majority of our goals come within sniffing distance of the goalie

8zSBofP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8zSBofP.jpg

I uploaded the team total, however it seems to be missing one goal as we have 92 and this graphic has us scoring 91 goals.

I looked around the 29 other teams and it is the same for every teams, the majority of the shots always come from a short distance from the net.

It reminds me of something Guy Boucher said when he was the Hamilton Bulldogs' coach in one of his pre-game interview. He was talking about how he was always looking up at NHL highlights and 90% of the goals come from shot/deflection near the net and that's what he wanted the team to do.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
8zSBofP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8zSBofP.jpg

I uploaded the team total, however it seems to be missing one goal as we have 92 and this graphic has us scoring 91 goals.

I looked around the 29 other teams and it is the same for every teams, the majority of the shots always come from a short distance from the net.

It reminds me of something Guy Boucher said when he was the Hamilton Bulldogs' coach in one of his pre-game interview. He was talking about how he was always looking up at NHL highlights and 90% of the goals come from shot/deflection near the net and that's what he wanted the team to do.

That concentration in the right faceoff circle is basically all Pacioretty. If you remove him from the equation we have 90% of our goals right in the slot.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
Watching the average shot distance for defensemen... PK shoots from WAY too far.

Is that a result of tight coverage/less time&space?

When he has it, he needs to step into the zone before rifling it. I mean Ovechkin has a lethal shot, but he scores on the PP from the circles...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It's interesting how similar Weise's map is to Pacioretty's. Both are taking shots from literally all over the ice. Both slightly more on the right side.

Curious to see Price's. :sarcasm:

Watching the average shot distance for defensemen... PK shoots from WAY too far.

When he has it, he needs to step into the zone before rifling it. I mean Ovechkin has a lethal shot, but he scores on the PP from the circles...

I noticed that as well. He really does seem to hang back by the blueline when he's shooting. He needs to be more of a rover on the PP, but I suppose he wants to maintain a responsible defensive game. I'm OK with him taking chances if he's playing with a guy like Petry on the other point. Markov not so much. Beaulieu could be alright.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

Also if he stopped shooting at his teammates heads, that'd be nice.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Why Patch has so many shots from the right side? Playing on the left...

If i had no idea who Max Pacioretty is and what position he plays, after seeing this graph i would presume he plays center or right wing lol.

Last edited:

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Max's heat map is brutal. Way to many shots from outside the circles along the boards. The couple below the outside the hash marks...wtf?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
It's interesting how similar Weise's map is to Pacioretty's. Both are taking shots from literally all over the ice. Both slightly more on the right side.

Curious to see Price's. :sarcasm:

I noticed that as well. He really does seem to hang back by the blueline when he's shooting. He needs to be more of a rover on the PP, but I suppose he wants to maintain a responsible defensive game. I'm OK with him taking chances if he's playing with a guy like Petry on the other point. Markov not so much. Beaulieu could be alright.

I think it is coaching. MT likes his dmen to stay close to the blueline. If PK would take a couple of steps before rifling it, he would have more goals by now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

He's a blueliner, most of his shots will come from the blueline. He racks up points this way. There are a ton of deflections from his shots that turn into goals. If it's saved our guys can pick up the rebound.

It would be great if he could rack up shots from the slot but he's not a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad