Rumor: Habs made an offer to Gardiner, a multi-year offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Mete - Weber
Gardiner - Petry
Chariot - Kulak

is what I would start with if we get gardiner

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Learn what? He would be MTL best LD IMO.

Gardiner is putrid defensively, will command a decently high cap hit ( something habs will need going foward more than people think). Signing a guy with known back problem who is already 29 year old long time is bad idea.

Gardiner is a bandaid. Not a longterm solution. Bandaids are the reason Montreal stayed mediocre for the last 20 year old. Can we be patient for once.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I wouldn't be against it but it really depends on the term and $$$

I wouldn't expect him to be a reliable top dman but he'd sure be an upgrade on the disaster we've got.

Reactions: THE HOFF

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
lol @people putting Mete with Weber instead of Gardiner. Id bet my left nut and yours too that these would be pairings

Gardiner-Weber
Chariot-Petry
Mete-Juulsen

Folin, Reilly will be in the mix for last pairing.

Mete and his potential is massively overrated here.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Gardiner is putrid defensively, will command a decently high cap hit ( something habs will need going foward more than people think). Signing a guy with known back problem who is already 29 year old long time is bad idea.

Gardiner is a bandaid. Not a longterm solution. Bandaids are the reason Montreal stayed mediocre for the last 20 year old. Can we be patient for once.
A bandaid...but a bandaid that's still better than any LD we have...which is more a reflection of how bad our left side is... He would be our #1 LD if signed.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Disagree, he's not as bad defensively as you think, he's Petry's bad. He will make some awful play in his own zone just like Petry but most of the time he's just fine. He would probably be MTL best first pass and 2nd best offensive defenceman and can also manage a 1st PP unit.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
lol @people putting Mete with Weber instead of Gardiner. Id bet my left nut and yours too that these would be pairings

Gardiner-Weber
Chariot-Petry
Mete-Juulsen

Kulak was one of our best defenceman after the all-star break last year. Zero chance he's not in our top 6.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Disagree, he's not as bad defensively as you think, he's Petry's bad. He will make some awful play in his own zone just like Petry but most of the time he's just fine. He would probably be MTL best first pass and 2nd best offensive defenceman and can also manage a 1st PP unit.

BOLD: he's realy not.

people just don't get my point.
if He's a habs next year:
YES Gardiner will be the best offensive Dman next season, but thats not the point, the FIT is awful. like i stated above he's a bandaid, a short term solution that will end up a cap archor. Montreal is in no urge to win or contend. Gardiner will barely make a difference in a overall team success in his short peak and will damage the team for the rest of his contract.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa

Gardiner-Weber
Chariot-Petry
Mete-Juulsen

Did we trade Kulak?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed. He has warts but he's underrated.

My biggest concern is his back injury. I believe he's coming off surgery and if so, that's a huge risk. Apart from that... I've always been a fan of Gartner's. He'd be a million times better than what we have back there and he'd come with us giving up anything other than cap space. Injury aside I'd pull the trigger.

Back injuries are risky though... I don't think I'd sign him based on that. If we do, I hope it's short term.

If we do sign him, I will credit it as a trade equivalent for @Lshap who predicted a big move in the next two weeks.

Reactions: Habs Icing

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
BOLD: he's realy not.

people just don't get my point.
if He's a habs next year:
YES Gardiner will be the best offensive Dman next season, but thats not the point, the FIT is awful. like i stated above he's a bandaid, a short term solution that will end up a cap archor. Montreal is in no urge to win or contend. Gardiner will barely make a difference in a overall team success in his short peak and will damage the team for the rest of his contract.

The fit is awful? I disagree, IF he's healthy he's an awesome fit for MTL. His transition game is on par with Petry and MTL would benefit a tons to pair that guy with Weber. And damage the team with his contract? how so? we don't even know how many years were talking here, it might be only 2 or 3 years....

And seriously you don't think MTL would benefit from having a quaterback on the PP? I don't get it honestly

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The fit is awful? I disagree, IF he's healthy he's an awesome fit for MTL. His transition game is on par with Petry and MTL would benefit a tons to pair that guy with Weber. And damage the team with his contract? how so? we don't even know how many years were talking here, it might be only 2 or 3 years....

And seriously you don't think MTL would benefit from having a quaterback on the PP? I don't get it honestly

His transition game is even better then Petry

Reactions: Habs Icing

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That is not even close to being true. Gardiner is a cream puff who doesn't compete in front of the net or along the boards.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Agreed. He has warts but he's underrated.

My biggest concern is his back injury. I believe he's coming off surgery and if so, that's a huge risk. Apart from that... I've always been a fan of Gartner's. He'd be a million times better than what we have back there and he'd come with us giving up anything other than cap space. Injury aside I'd pull the trigger.

Back injuries are risky though... I don't think I'd sign him based on that. If we do, I hope it's short term.

If we do sign him, I will credit it as a trade equivalent for @Lshap who predicted a big move in the next two weeks.

People are giving him crap and for a good reason, he was awful 2 years in a row in some key matches in the playoffs but they just totally discard what he did in the regular season for the last 3 years... he's a guy that can produce 40 to 50 points if use on our 1st PP. Hummm Gardiner or Folin is the top6, not sure who to pick.... please god help me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad