Pre-Game Talk: Habs in Ottawa, Saturday Night Brawl 7:00 pm on TSN

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hard to get a feel for where guys are when a lot of guys stood out;

Formenton, Brown, Chlapik, Chabot all looked great.

Lajoie, McCormick, and Reinhart looked solid too.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Brown may force the Sens to keep him here instead of sending him back to junior. He may well be worth burning a year. With Chlapik and White in the Belleville they'd be set at centre in case of injuries.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Brown may force the Sens to keep him here instead of sending him back to junior. He may well be worth burning a year. With Chlapik and White in the Belleville they'd be set at centre in case of injuries.

9 games would make sense unless he's lighting it up. Gives enough time for Brassard and a few other guys to get back. White would be close by then as well. He can go back and have a Chabot-like season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think we could very well see a Scheifele type progression with Brown.

Scheifele is one of the hardest working players in the league, and he's been rewarded for that effort, as he's now a top center in the league.

Don't think he's Brown's best comparable. Feel like Johansen is a better comparable in terms of potential.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
9 games would make sense unless he's lighting it up. Gives enough time for Brassard and a few other guys to get back. White would be close by then as well. He can go back and have a Chabot-like season.

They will send him back after 9 imo. He has the WJC as well... should be a good year for him to learn to dominate

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Scheifele is one of the hardest working players in the league, and he's been rewarded for that effort, as he's now a top center in the league.

Don't think he's Brown's best comparable. Feel like Johansen is a better comparable in terms of potential.

I agree with this as well. Does not remind me at all of Scheifele... I see a little Spezza there tbh.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Can't help but get impatient for the season to start!

Brown looked very nice. Showing some NHL habits very early in his career, and his IQ and patience with the puck is great. He looks to be forcing the team to give him a game or 2 before sending him back to junior to absolutely obliterate the league. He's great on the PP. We haven't had a center like him on the PP since Spezza.

Chabot showing his poise, vision and skating all game once again. He's just a horse who can stay on the ice forever and always provide possession. He has to shoot a bit more though... He must have had 2 shots all game with many more opportunities. Can't wait to see him play in our top 6 D.

Chlapik is definitely a good one. He plays an NHL style game already imo, displayed by his patience with the puck and how strong he is on the puck. Good possession player, good vision and good tools overall. He'll definitely get a few games during the year as I suspect he'll be producing well in the AHL.

Lajoie is a ****ing boss. Love the kid. Excited to see what he can become, every year so far he has been getting better and better. The poise and confidence he has is great, and he's extremely smart on the ice with his decisions.

Formenton is a gem. Great speed, hustle, smarts and competitiveness all over the ice. Has his head on a swivel and showed smooth hands and shooting also. He's so young it's interesting to project his potential and ceiling.

Reinhart is decent. I like him slightly more than McCormick. Those two will probably flip flop as call-ups during the season depending on injuries. I have to admit VandeVelde was good on the PK and showed some things.

Ceci with another solid showing. Great defensive plays all game, and good possession plays. But I do hope that after so many games in the NHL he would have already figured out how to get his shot off a bit quicker.

Anderson, Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, Smith, Oduya, Wideman showing that they're RS ready. Boro too kind of. I still believe in Wideman, and I don't think he will give away his spot without a fight. We'll see what happens with all the D.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Hard to get a feel for where guys are when a lot of guys stood out;

Formenton, Brown, Chlapik, Chabot all looked great.

Lajoie, McCormick, and Reinhart looked solid too.

Have we ever had a training camp where SO many guys on the outside looking in have looked this good before?

I know we've had plenty of individuals surprise over the years, but so many of them this late into training camp is so much diffrent than in years past, where we always pretty much knew what was going to happen come opening night.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Although I've Bashed Brown in the past, he impressed tonight, he's smart, Mark Stone smart, very good with his stick and is always in the right place.

Formenton looks to already be a steal, we got this kid for Lazar right? Wow, his speed reminds me of McDavid with how explosive he is and how fast he can get up to top speed with and without the puck. He was always down on the forecheck and wasn't overmatched by guys years older than him with professional experience. In fact he was winning a lot of the battles down there. I mean, he just turned 18 a few weeks ago. High expectations for him with London this year and I expect him to be signed to an ELC before he gets sent back.

Is it just me or does Stone look almost thinner? He also seems to be faster. If both these are to be true I would be surprised to see Stone break 30 goals and 70 points this year if healthy. He looked really good out there and was always controlling the game when on the ice.

Thomas Chabot... Although he didn't register a point tonight, he was by far and away Ottawa's best player. He has this swagger to him as if he knows how good he is and is so confident in his abilities. He makes super smart plays with the puck on his stick as if he's been in the league for years. You wouldn't think he has a game of NHL experience if you saw him play for the first time. He's good REALLY good. A future with Karl on the 1st pairing/PP unit and Chabot on the 2nd is a scary for opposing teams. With Karl out there is no way Chabot doesn't make the team out of camp..... right? How are there even people speculating about it Chabot has earned his spot on the team as far as I'm concerned and is already out 2nd best defenceman.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boucher giving lots of love to Formenton post game.

Talked about Brown playing with better pace and better endurance.

Gave some love to some other guys too.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
I know he scored, but how did Oduya look? Do we think he's going to be a legit top 4 option for the entire year?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know he scored, but how did Oduya look? Do we think he's going to be a legit top 4 option for the entire year?

I thought he looked solid all night. Nothing flashy, but moved the puck well and was steady defensively.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Although I've Bashed Brown in the past, he impressed tonight, he's smart, Mark Stone smart, very good with his stick and is always in the right place.

Formenton looks to already be a steal, we got this kid for Lazar right? Wow, his speed reminds me of McDavid with how explosive he is and how fast he can get up to top speed with and without the puck. He was always down on the forecheck and wasn't overmatched by guys years older than him with professional experience. In fact he was winning a lot of the battles down there. I mean, he just turned 18 a few weeks ago. High expectations for him with London this year and I expect him to be signed to an ELC before he gets sent back.

Is it just me or does Stone look almost thinner? He also seems to be faster. If both these are to be true I would be surprised to see Stone break 30 goals and 70 points this year if healthy. He looked really good out there and was always controlling the game when on the ice.

Thomas Chabot... Although he didn't register a point tonight, he was by far and away Ottawa's best player. He has this swagger to him as if he knows how good he is and is so confident in his abilities. He makes super smart plays with the puck on his stick as if he's been in the league for years. You wouldn't think he has a game of NHL experience if you saw him play for the first time. He's good REALLY good. A future with Karl on the 1st pairing/PP unit and Chabot on the 2nd is a scary for opposing teams. With Karl out there is no way Chabot doesn't make the team out of camp..... right? How are there even people speculating about it Chabot has earned his spot on the team as far as I'm concerned and is already out 2nd best defenceman.

It would be a shame to send him down. The kid is good and will only get better. IMO he should be at the NHL level. The AHL won't have much for him

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

Not bad. Very good in the d-zone, good in front of his own net. Has better speed than I anticipated, Stronger than I thought as well. Overall impressed, wouldn't mind if he's in our top-4, unless of course it knocks Chabot out.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

He looks pretty legit to me. If we manage his minutes properly, I can totally see him playing a top 4 roll for the entire year, and I'm okay with that right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad