Prospect Info: Habs Development Camp 2014

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not sure they compare at all, Tinordi is a better skater (even though O'Byrne was a pretty good skater himself for his size), is meaner and IMO already better than O'Byrne ever was in his zone. O'Byrne was, I think, a better passer, but overall, he had all the tools, but no real toolbox, whereas Tinordi will be a defensive defenseman first and foremost.

This is either you not remembering Obyrne, or you not being aware of Tinordis ability to pass. VERY underrated passer. Hell never be a Markov type of passer for sure, because that comes once in every 10 years, but he can pass better than Gorges could at this stage, and Id say even right now. All he needs is better decision making and getting up to speed with the NHL.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
London Knights players raved about Tinordi's leadership.

huge_rave.jpg

Analyzer*

I also believe that invitee can't play a pre-season game. If he does, you can't sign him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Pretty surprised to see that invitation to Imama. Kid did what he could during the scrimmage I saw. He works hard, hit hard but there's really only that in his game.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Are you serious? I feel quite the opposite. I see Josh Gorges defensively in a year or two, but with a lot more physicality. Too early to judge any leadership upside and any offensive upside I'd expect in the latter part of his career, but to me he has top 4-5 dman written all over him.

I have always been pleased with the pick though. I think he's a keeper.

Exactly. He's already equal or better to O'Byrne in most areas and has the ability to have a true designated role on a club, he just needs to mature. Very happy about this prospect :)

As far as I heard he (Sekac) wasn't even in skating shape either. People need to give him a bit of a buffer to get to 100%. By the main camp he should be.

This is either you not remembering Obyrne, or you not being aware of Tinordis ability to pass. VERY underrated passer. Hell never be a Markov type of passer for sure, because that comes once in every 10 years, but he can pass better than Gorges could at this stage, and Id say even right now. All he needs is better decision making and getting up to speed with the NHL.

You guys are overlooking the most important factor, the mental aspect and how a lack of confidence can wreck a career.Tinordi obviously has a higher ceiling than O Byrne had but they were quite similar prospects at equal stages of their AHL / breaking into the NHL part time. O'Byrne was on page to become a solid number four dman with size until he took a tonne of flack on the media for the purse incident when he was protecting a teammate, combine that with the heat from scoring on yourself, a knee injury, all of a sudden it's hard to get positive momentum going and you lack confidence to deal with the natural growing pains of an emerging NHL player.

The reality is Tinordi had some defensive lapses and minor gaffes at the NHL level. Now of you kept him up and played him over Murray and Bouillon like many HF posters wanted, you run a significant risk of affecting his confidence ala O'Byrne. There is a reason why Detroit is good at developing their periscopes, they don't rush them.

Last edited:

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
You guys are overlooking the most important factor, the mental aspect and how a lack of confidence can wreck a career.Tinordi obviously has a higher ceiling than O Byrne had but they were quite similar prospects at equal stages of their AHL / breaking into the NHL part time. O'Byrne was on page to become a solid number four dman with size until he took a tonne of flack on the media for the purse incident when he was protecting a teammate, combine that with the heat from scoring on yourself, a knee injury, all of a sudden it's hard to get positive momentum going and you lack confidence to deal with the natural growing pains of an emerging NHL player.

The reality is Tinordi had some defensive lapses and minor gaffes at the NHL level. Now of you kept him up and played him over Murray and Bouillon like many HF posters wanted, you run a significant risk of affecting his confidence ala O'Byrne. There is a reason why Detroit is good at developing their periscopes, they don't rush them.

I agree with everything...

I sure hope we develop our periscopes like Detroit :nod:

:sarcasm:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Detroit's ability to develop periscopes is really overblown of late. Here are the Wing draft picks since 2004 who have played in the NHL:

Jurco
Sheahan
Tatar
B. Smith
Andersson
Mursak
Emmerton
Mathias
Helm
Ritola
McCollum (1 game)
Kindl
Abdelkader
Nyqvist
Franzen

15 players they've developed. A total of 632 points from that group, and no NHL goalies.

Here are the Habs picks since 2004 who have played -

Galchenyuk
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Gallagher
Leblanc
Dumont
McDonagh
Patch
Subban
Weber
Maxwell
Carle
White
Price
Latendresse
D'Agostini
Kostitsyn
Chipchura
Emelin
Wyman
Grabovski
Stewart
Streit

23 players. A total of 1841 points from that group...and one of the best goalies in the league.

Montreal's reputation for developing players over the past decade has been extremely underappreciated on this board.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life

Talk about overrating....

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Detroit's ability to develop periscopes is really overblown of late. Here are the Wing draft picks since 2004 who have played in the NHL:

Jurco
Sheahan
Tatar
B. Smith
Andersson
Mursak
Emmerton
Mathias
Helm
Ritola
McCollum (1 game)
Kindl
Abdelkader
Nyqvist
Franzen

15 players they've developed. A total of 632 points from that group, and no NHL goalies.

Here are the Habs picks since 2004 who have played -

Galchenyuk
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Gallagher
Leblanc
Dumont
McDonagh
Patch
Subban
Weber
Maxwell
Carle
White
Price
Latendresse
D'Agostini
Kostitsyn
Chipchura
Emelin
Wyman
Grabovski
Stewart
Streit

23 players. A total of 1841 points from that group...and one of the best goalies in the league.

Montreal's reputation for developing players over the past decade has been extremely underappreciated on this board.

Agreed, scouting and player development has been the Hab's strong point for over a decade. Poor decisions regarding some of the player movement has been more of a problem than drafting/development, I'm a firm believer that we have had the best group in the business in these areas.

I think the pro scouting and GM decisions have at times undermined the very good work done by our amateur scouts, mainly TT who is clearly the best in the business imo.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

Although I agree Habs' development of players is underrated. Not that I believe much in development anyways. I think there's only so much one organization can do that's that difference from another organization. That said, when analyzing the Wings (or any other team) drafting and development over the years, you can't simply look at their raw picks. You have to take into account they haven't had nearly the same quality of draft picks as other teams. Wasn't there something about Larkin being their highest drafted player in quite some time? Then again, we're only talking about a mid-round pick. Because relative to the rest of the league, they're actually doing pretty well. Pretty much compares to what the Habs have done over the years. Not taking into account their upcoming kids like Mantha, Sproul, Ouellet and so on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00