Habs biggest Needs are (poll)?

What are the Habs biggest needs (Current and/or Future)?

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need a top 4 puck mover. Chiarot and Mete would be better with less ice time. Also, we'll have to figure out what to do for the after-Petry years.

But Chiarot and Petry are signed to the right terms where it it's a bridge to allow us time to evaluate how good the prospects and youth are? I have power forward top 6LW as the biggest need. Center and LD are equals to me. Center options are just a bit older but neither center or LD are check marks yet. Potential is there so that's why I feel the Power forward top 6LW is the biggest need (voted new GM/President too) cause it's obvious we need a President who is qualified to be in charge of hockey operations.

Can Poehling be our top 6F power forward? The two guys I have a hard time finding a spot for with future projections are Poehling and Domi. Below is the best fit I can find.

Poehling / Suzuki / Cauflield
Domi / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Lehkonen / Oloffson / Ylonen

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
But Chiarot and Petry are signed to the right terms where it it's a bridge to allow us time to evaluate how good the prospects and youth are? I have power forward top 6LW as the biggest need. Center and LD are equals to me. Center options are just a bit older but neither center or LD are check marks yet. Potential is there so that's why I feel the Power forward top 6LW is the biggest need (voted new GM/President too) cause it's obvious we need a President who is qualified to be in charge of hockey operations.
Power Forward isn't a need in this league anymore imho.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
We really need help for our LD.. Kulak and Reilly are garbage and cost us a minimum of 1 goal per game that they play.

Start the game 0-1 everytime they are in the line up ... it's a big talon d'achille and teams abuse it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Power Forward isn't a need in this league anymore imho.

You kidding me? I'm not talking about a Kassian type, talking about a Tkachuk type. A big boy who can skate and has offensive ability. You don't think this is a need in the NHL anymore? I think you need to think that over again. Do you know how many teams would love to have guys like the Tkachuk brothers, Wilson, Stone?

It's not just about skating. Don't be fooled by that and walk with the herd of sheep. The top teams in the NHL have more than skating and skill.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
For me the biggest needs are top 4 LD and scoring winger. They basically need everything on the list but those two are tops for me.

Chiarot is a fine top 4 LD, but ideally I don't see Mete as a top 4 D. Can he play those type of minutes? Sure, but I want this team to be a contender and he shouldn't be a top 4 D on a contender. Him and Fleury on the 3rd pairing would be fine for now.

Kulak, Folin, Reilly are not answers and shouldn't be playing regularly in the NHL.

They need a goalscorer up front. I know Drouin is hurt, but they lack a sniper big time. The amount of chances that Domi and Suzuki create, only for their wingers to miss is maddening. The guys work hard but the talent/finishing is just not there.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
You kidding me? I'm not talking about a Kassian type, talking about a Tkachuk type. A big boy who can skate and has offensive ability. You don't think this is a need in the NHL anymore? I think you need to think that over again. Do you know how many teams would love to have guys like the Tkachuk brothers, Wilson, Stone?
Not a need, a nice to have maybe, but they don't have the impact they use to have. Most of the big guys that have an impact now is because they're also very good snipers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not a need, a nice to have maybe, but they don't have the impact they use to have. Most of the big guys that have an impact now is because they're also very good snipers.

It's a need when you get into playoff wars over a 7 game series. You can't have a roster with 50% of the players as smurfs or soft types. Looks decent right in the regular season but in the playoffs, you might win a 1 or 2 game battle but you lose the 7 game war.

You know how to take the pressure off our D? Keep it in other other end! Guys like Armia help with that but you need a few more than 1.

Don't twist this into Alzner or Lucic type guys. I think you are thinking that way and it's not what I'm talking about. Look at the impact a player like Chiarot has? Big guy that skates well! If we don't have him this year, where do you think we are in the standings?

A cup contender has the right mix of ingredients... Skill/Skating/Size/Physical Strength/Grit/Character. You should not ignore any ingredient over the other when you build a complete hockey team

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Your choice "Top 4LD. Mete and Chiarot is not good enough and the prospects won't reach top 4LD" is somewhat a loaded choice IMO.

Let's just look at our top 2 LHD prospects; Romanov and probably Norlinder at this time. Both are at least 3 years from being top-4 guys. Maybe 2 if we want to be incredibly optimistic. Fairbrother, Harris and Struble are nice but they are definitely more than 3 years away.

As of TODAY, our depth is Mete, Chiarot, Kulak, Reilly, Leskinen and Olofsson. We can all agree Chiarot and Mete are solid NHL players, but debate if they are true top-4. It's my opinion on a contender, they are #4 (distant) or #5 guys. Reilly, Leskinen, Olofsson and Kulak aren't even trusted by our own coach so never mind the debate here if they are NHLers or not.

So, not that he is available or anything, but let's just say Brodin is available. You do everything you can to get him within reason... I'm not giving up Caufield and a 1st for example, but if they want Poehling+++, I'd be in. Brodin is signed through 20-21 so I'd be willing to pay for him if a deal can be made. A guy like him becomes our #1 LHD immediately and given our depth, will hold that position next season. Unlike a guy like Mete or Chiarot who are top-4 by necessity, Brodin is a true top-4 player. He'd stabilize our top-4 long enough hopefully for one of our top prospects to develop.

Anyhow, Brodin isn't available but I think you get my point in terms of the type of player we need. A top-4 LHD plays at least 1/3 of the game if not half when we're talking top-2. That's far more valuable to me than a top-3 center/forward unless we are talking about truly elite talent. I'd take McD or Pasta before most players for example, but I'd take a Brodin over Hall Monday through Sunday.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
It's a need when you get into playoff wars over a 7 game series. You can't have a roster with 50% of the players as smurfs or soft types. Looks decent right in the regular season but in the playoffs, you might win a 1 or 2 game battle but you lose the 7 game war.

You know how to take the pressure off our D? Keep it in other other end! Guys like Armia help with that but you need a few more than 1.
I don't know why you're seeing black or white like that. If you're undersized the solution is not necessarily changing your play style to forward checking with bigger players. Habs are a fast team built for transition. A power forward will not bring anything to it more than a bunch of headaches watching Claude trying to match lines. If they're going for a winger at the TDL I expect it to be in the fast, shifty and scoring category.

Besides, we're 13th in goals for. It's not like we're starving goals here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your choice "Top 4LD. Mete and Chiarot is not good enough and the prospects won't reach top 4LD" is somewhat a loaded choice IMO.

Let's just look at our top 2 LHD prospects; Romanov and probably Norlinder at this time. Both are at least 3 years from being top-4 guys. Maybe 2 if we want to be incredibly optimistic. Fairbrother, Harris and Struble are nice but they are definitely more than 3 years away.

As of TODAY, our depth is Mete, Chiarot, Kulak, Reilly, Leskinen and Olofsson. We can all agree Chiarot and Mete are solid NHL players, but debate if they are true top-4. It's my opinion on a contender, they are #4 (distant) or #5 guys. Reilly, Leskinen, Olofsson and Kulak aren't even trusted by our own coach so never mind the debate here if they are NHLers or not.

So, not that he is available or anything, but let's just say Brodin is available. You do everything you can to get him within reason... I'm not giving up Caufield and a 1st for example, but if they want Poehling+++, I'd be in. Brodin is signed through 20-21 so I'd be willing to pay for him if a deal can be made. A guy like him becomes our #1 LHD immediately and given our depth, will hold that position next season. Unlike a guy like Mete or Chiarot who are top-4 by necessity, Brodin is a true top-4 player. He'd stabilize our top-4 long enough hopefully for one of our top prospects to develop.

Anyhow, Brodin isn't available but I think you get my point in terms of the type of player we need. A top-4 LHD plays at least 1/3 of the game if not half when we're talking top-2. That's far more valuable to me than a top-3 center/forward unless we are talking about truly elite talent. I'd take McD or Pasta before most players for example, but I'd take a Brodin over Hall Monday through Sunday.

The question was presented in the current/future type narrative. And the main goal is a cup so if you are roster building for the cup and you see what we have now, what do you target as the most important need. I feel the LD and Center is similar but the centers are a bit older but still unproven in terms of top 2C quality. The potential of hoping they can reach their ceiling is similar. One area happen faster than the other.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know why you're seeing black or white like that. If you're undersized the solution is not necessarily changing your play style to forward checking with bigger players. Habs are a fast team built for transition. A power forward will not bring anything to it more than a bunch of headaches watching Claude trying to match lines. If they're going for a winger at the TDL I expect it to be in the fast, shifty and scoring category.

Besides, we're 13th in goals for. It's not like we're starving goals here.

We need a better mix of size/physical strength in the forward group. Getting a top 6LW power forward like the Tkachuk brothers, Stone, or Wilson is a need if we think we can go on deep playoff runs when the youth are proven and our roster is more complete.

We won't be 13th in goals for in the playoffs when the scoring gets real tight. Wait, only 16 teams make it... I guess being 13th is accurate in terms of playoff quality ;).

This is much deeper than regular season accomplishments. The main goal is winning a cup and having a roster that has 50% smurfs or soft types won't get it done.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
We need a better mix of size/physical strength in the forward group. Getting a top 6LW power forward like the Tkachuk brothers, Stone, or Wilson is a need if we think we can go on deep playoff runs when the youth are proven and our roster is more complete.

We won't be 13th in goals for in the playoffs when the scoring gets real tight. Wait, only 16 teams make it... I guess being 13th is accurate in terms of playoff quality ;).

This is much deeper than regular season accomplishments
Ok it depends on your definition of need. I understand every team in the league needs Sidney Crosby and they all need a championship in the next year. if you take like this, it's difficult to argue against. I was interpreting it in a more feasible manner where a need is something that can be reached in the next 2-3 months.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok it depends on your definition of need. I understand every team in the league needs Sidney Crosby and they all need a championship in the next year. if you take like this, it's difficult to argue against. I was interpreting it in a more feasible manner where a need is something that can be reached in the next 2-3 months.

Pretend you are the GM replacing Bergevin and you look at what you have both on the current roster and futures coming. Where are the holes and do you have faith in the centers and LD prospects? It's a poll for both current/future need. A piece we can use today and the future?

Power forward top 6LW is self explanatory. It's top 6 quality so were not talking about some plug here like Kassian.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Pretend you are the GM replacing Bergevin and you look at what you have both on the current roster and futures coming. Where are the holes and do you have faith in the centers and LD prospects? It's a pool for both current/future need. A piece we can use today and the future?

Power forward top 6LW is self explanatory. It's top 6 quality so were not talking about some plug here like Kassian.
I don't have faith in gambles in the low rounds no. So If I take the GM's chair I look for a good top 4 LD and I make sure no coach is BSing Poehling, Suzuki or Kotka who aren't undersized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad