Habs at the World Championships (May 10-May 26) | TSN, TSN.ca, NHLN, IIHF Worlds 2024 YouTube channel

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Wow Granlund...what a dumb move. Finland wasn't even good enough....he's certainly out for next game.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Dubois :thumbd:
misses winning goal and then takes a penalty.

and Cozens scores again! LOL

classic Dubois do be elite when it comes to minor penalties

dubois.PNG

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Slovakia is really bad. When Pospisil looked like an all-star for them and you lose him....forget it. The ONLY way they would have something is for them to be a one-line team. Cehlarik with Tatar and Slaf. But they won't as this game means nothing.
Ramsey also likes to play this style, which works okay when you play against teams not loaded with offensive talent (or Slovakia can score). Slovakia has a very bad C core even with Hrivik and Pospisil, now without them it’s trouble. At this point I’d just play Slaf at C and give him Tatar and another winger.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
QF are set for Thursday, May 23rd.

10:20 am games:
Canada vs Slovakia
Switzerland vs Germany

2:20 pm games:
USA vs Czech Republic
Sweden vs Finland

Semi-Finals are Saturday.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Is Guhle playing left side or right side at this tournament ?
What do you think lol
He IS a LD
only REASON he is playing RD in MTL last year

Is because they asked him nicely to fill in for RD1, because they trust him enough to fill that for the time being, because he's a good enough defenseman that we can ask him to do that
And we have too many other LDs they do not trust to temporarily have at RD1
Since we DONT have an RD1 on the team
They wanted Savard to help the rookie/sophomores we had on LD behind current LD1 Matheson
They know Savard is not RD1, but a very respectable RD2 or RD3

Guhle @ RD is Only. Temporary.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Mudz

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I mean he already showed us that he’s a good playoff performer as a rookie. He toyed with a Vegas team of which every defender is like 6’4.
That’s true but he was young and full of it and no surgery yet… every shift was a smile and hard work..

Either they are tanking purposely or he has lost some of the confidence and purpose he had before.

Reactions: Scintillating10

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well can't wait to see the consistency of multiple playoffs that we should start seeing soon. Not that long ago, some were saying JK could be a playoff performer too based on his 2nd season too.....
This saying annoys me almost as much as "Best Player Available" or my arch nemesis "the NHL is not a developmental league".

That’s true but he was young and full of it and no surgery yet… every shift was a smile and hard work..

Either they are tanking purposely or he has lost some of the confidence and purpose he had before.
You think the team may have told him to intentionally sacrifice his season so they could pick higher?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
This saying annoys me almost as much as "Best Player Available" or my arch nemesis "the NHL is not a developmental league".
Strange 'cause you do have pros saying that they are players that brings you to the playoffs and others that help you win it. Why is it a problem to believe that some players bring it more when it counts the most? Why do you have a hard time to believe that some players are better under pressure than others?

As far as the other 2....everything still makes sense but only if you don't look at at a black and white definition of terms. Those 2 expression can make sense. Just like they can't. It's all about how it,s define by whoever employs them.

Reactions: Rapala

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Strange 'cause you do have pros saying that they are players that brings you to the playoffs and others that help you win it. Why is it a problem to believe that some players bring it more when it counts the most? Why do you have a hard time to believe that some players are better under pressure than others?
Quote made famous by Marc Bergevin that somehow turned into gospel.

A lot of players used to be called playoff chokers, until they weren't...then they became playoff warriors. See Pavel Datsyuk and Hank Zetterberg.

Look at a guy like Kotkaniemi who somehow, at some point, developed the reputation of a "playoff warrior", somehow that didn't help him this year.

This year everyone is questioning Elias Petterson's playoff jam because he struggled, but prior to this season he had played 17 playoff games and had 18 points and was great in those playoffs.

Or last year when I started reading that Artemi Panarin was a playoff choker cause he didn't score in 7 games, this year, i'm not hearing that so much.

It's not a problem to believe some players bring it more when it counts the most, some certainly do...I also don't have a hard time believing some players are better under pressure than others.

I just think that any teams best player is usually a player who handles pressure well, I mean that's what makes them their teams' best player, whether that's regular season or playoffs. It's just the stakes are bigger in the playoffs and the same things that a player does in the regular season, are just amplified the playoffs.

But a lot of the time, we baptise certain players with these playoff warrior monikers and it makes me laugh.
As far as the other 2....everything still makes sense but only if you don't look at at a black and white definition of terms. Those 2 expression can make sense. Just like they can't. It's all about how it,s define by whoever employs them.
Meh, I just look at it as things people say out of habit...Best Player Available always makes me laugh around draft time too (no matter the sport), as though any team goes into a draft thinking they're not trying to select the best player at that time or that "need" is completely ignored at all points of the draft.

Every single team after they make a pick believes they took the best player available lol.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
A lot of players used to be called playoff chokers, until they weren't...then they became playoff warriors. See Pavel Datsyuk and Hank Zetterberg.
Add Stevie Y to that list as well.

Reactions: 417

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017

Look at a guy like Kotkaniemi who somehow, at some point, developed the reputation of a "playoff warrior", somehow that didn't help him this year.

This year everyone is questioning Elias Petterson's playoff jam because he struggled, but prior to this season he had played 17 playoff games and had 18 points and was great in those playoffs.

Or last year when I started reading that Artemi Panarin was a playoff choker cause he didn't score in 7 games, this year, i'm not hearing that so much.

It's not a problem to believe some players bring it more when it counts the most, some certainly do...I also don't have a hard time believing some players are better under pressure than others.

I just think that any teams best player is usually a player who handles pressure well, I mean that's what makes them their teams' best player, whether that's regular season or playoffs. It's just the stakes are bigger in the playoffs and the same things that a player does in the regular season, are just amplified the playoffs.

But a lot of the time, we baptise certain players with these playoff warrior monikers and it makes me laugh.

Meh, I just look at it as things people say out of habit...Best Player Available always makes me laugh around draft time too (no matter the sport), as though any team goes into a draft thinking they're not trying to select the best player at that time or that "need" is completely ignored at all points of the draft.

Every single team after they make a pick believes they took the best player available lol.

I agree the expression BPA doesnt mean anything.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Add Stevie Y to that list as well.
Funny that was who I thought of first but, didn't want to age myself lol

I also recall guys like John Druce or Cris Kontos being "playoff warriors" for a couple of miracle runs in the post season

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Not solely Bergevin. A whole lot of other pros too. And at one point you said it yourself, you have no doubt that those players exist. Yes, people shouldn't take 1 playoffs and make it as something it's not. You do have to wait for a couple of those playoffs before making an argument either way.

As far as the BPA, well you know my take. I don't believe that every single team believed they took the best player. As some are going with the idea to fill up certain positions. You already know all that. and the numerous examples from Timmins and other teams who have openly talked about that.

I will always believe that if you go solely with the BPA in mind, that you will eventually fill needs. Whether it's by picking players (cause every position do have a chance to be a BPA at one point) or by trading positions because you have too many of a certain one, and not enough of another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad