Value of: Habs and Blue Jackets (#1OA and Flames 1st for 3 and 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
can you imagine the habs giving up their first #1 in 40 years? When the draft is in montreal? When they have a gaping hole at 1 or 2 C?

Even IF they thought other Cs than Cooley or Wright should be #1, i dont see them doing this
Except Pittsburgh and Edmonton most teams are in the same boat.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
can you imagine the habs giving up their first #1 in 40 years? When the draft is in montreal? When they have a gaping hole at 1 or 2 C?

Even IF they thought other Cs than Cooley or Wright should be #1, i dont see them doing this
They also have a deep hole at RD since Weber is gone and Petry isnt likely to be back. Nemec could be there guy all along. Why not add another good asset if you can get the guy you wanted all along at 3rd?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'd be more interested in trading 12 in a package for a defenseman than moving up

Exactly what I was planning to say. Far less costly and far more realistic to move up from #12 than to move up from #6 (or 7 or 8, depending on where CHI pick is).

Despite what people may say about the relative strength of this draft or the quality at the very top, I think there is a consensus top 4 emerging, similar as was the case in 2017. Teams/scouts may have them ranked in whatever order, but I think Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky and Nemec are emerging as the 4 consensus guys most likely to go and to move up to any one of those 4 slots is going to prohibitively expensive.

I wouldn’t package my 2 firsts, regardless of what number the CHI & CLB picks are, to move up and select only once. They’ll get 2 great players and if they want to try to move up a few spots from #12 using their 2nd rounder, that’s a different story.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm really looking forward to Montreal losing the lottery and picking 3rd.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
That'd be great actually.

They'd miss out on Wright and Cooley, meaning the knly good pick would be Nemec.

Still no 2C for next year = Habs draft Bedard.

Our D would be complete, and we'd have our McDavid so yah, that would also work

Reactions: viceroy

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
If we are strictly talking 1 for 3 and 8 in this draft I think the value is heavily slanted towards having the two picks.

Wright vs two of Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek, Cooley, Kemell, or Savoie (or Nazar, Gauthier, Geekie, etc.). If the two picks are hits it could be a major shift in the depth chart.

Reactions: CBJx614

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick

I’d actually be fine with that. Next year is the year to get a possible super star and it also lets us have a chance to win #1 in 2024 if we win the Bedard sweepstakes. Picking three this year would still get us a top ranked D and maybe a possible number one center. It’s about time the Habs sucked to the bottom to get to the top and rebuild like other teams

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’d actually be fine with that. Next year is the year to get a possible super star and it also lets us have a chance to win #1 in 2024 if we win the Bedard sweepstakes. Picking three this year would still get us a top ranked D and maybe a possible number one center. It’s about time the Habs sucked to the bottom to get to the top and rebuild like other teams
Habs already have their #1 C in Suzuki.
Wright would be fantastic as their #2.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'd rather Jarmo pick twice in the top 10 than have him pick 1st OVA. It would be a waste of his talents (ex-scout) with a chance to draft 4 players in the top-12 within two years.

If we are strictly talking 1 for 3 and 8 in this draft I think the value is heavily slanted towards having the two picks.

Wright vs two of Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek, Cooley, Kemell, or Savoie (or Nazar, Gauthier, Geekie, etc.). If the two picks are hits it could be a major shift in the depth chart.
Exactly these two.

If the Jackets have 2 top 10 picks, they arent trading them barring a slight overpayment. I would imagine in a weaker draft without a McDavid, Matthews type that the Jackets FO would believe they could potentially get two studs to add to the mix instead of just one. And even if there was a gamebreaking talent like McDavid or Matthews, the Habs wouldnt be trading it barring massive overpayment, which a GM like Jarmo isnt going to do if he knows he has two top 10 picks...

Same goes if both Chicago and CBJ win the lottery. Jackets take best available and then we have another ball for the lottery next year.

Dont see anyway the Jackets move up, especially after finding a talent like Sillinger at 12 last year..

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Exactly these two.

If the Jackets have 2 top 10 picks, they arent trading them barring a slight overpayment. I would imagine in a weaker draft without a McDavid, Matthews type that the Jackets FO would believe they could potentially get two studs to add to the mix instead of just one. And even if there was a gamebreaking talent like McDavid or Matthews, the Habs wouldnt be trading it barring massive overpayment, which a GM like Jarmo isnt going to do if he knows he has two top 10 picks...

Same goes if both Chicago and CBJ win the lottery. Jackets take best available and then we have another ball for the lottery next year.

Dont see anyway the Jackets move up, especially after finding a talent like Sillinger at 12 last year..
Wright isn’t even close to exciting enough to trade two top 10 picks for. In this case, a top 5 and top 10 pick.

Maybe a 1st OA for a package like 7 and 10 but even then… it’s an overpayment in the 2022 draft

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I tend to agree with all of this. The area I'm thinking is who busts or disappoints in that top 10? There are usually 1 or 2 of them.
As in any draft, a few of the top 10 picks will bust. But this draft doesn’t have the super special player as certain draft such as 2015, 2016 and 2023. It wasn’t a bad year for the Habs to be so bad. But not the ideal one either. They’ll get a good player at 1, 2 or 3rd overall. So they can’t really win or lose the lottery drawing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Personally I have Wright behind Jiricek and Cooley.

Any of those three would be big upgrades for the Jackets so I think #3 in this draft is a nice place to be. If word gets out that more teams have Jiricek at #1 then I might reconsider.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On the Eve of the draft lottery, I revised this potential trade idea... Chances are low but it's there.. Blue Jackets can win the 1st draw and get 3rd by default cause you can't move up more than 10 spots and you also can't trump the 2nd draw. I added the Flames 1st in this mix cause I think 1 for 3 and 8 is unfair.

1st OA and Flames 1st
for
3rd OA and 7th or 8th OA.

I think the fact that no team in the cap era has traded the 1st OA at any cost says everything that needs to be said.

Is it a fact that nobody will every trade a 1st ever again? No, so go away with your probability factor cause 99.9% of these trade ideas never happen. Ask yourself why you are in the trade talk board to begin with

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
On the Eve of the draft lottery, I revised this potential trade idea... Chances are low but it's there.. Blue Jackets can win the 1st draw and get 3rd by default cause you can't move up more than 10 spots and you also can't trump the 2nd draw. I added the Flames 1st in this mix cause I think 1 for 3 and 8 is unfair.

1st OA and Flames 1st
for

Is it a fact that nobody will every trade a 1st ever again? No, so go away with your probability factor cause 99.9% of these trade ideas never happen. Ask yourself why you are in the trade talk board to begin with
Thanks gatekeeper. But I think I’ll go ahead and comment however I like

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

1st OA and Flames 1st
for

I just don't see Jarmo doing that trade unless he's absolutely infatuated with someone at the top or thinks he can get an absolute steal of a player with Calgarys pick.

But there's probably less than 0.01% chance that the Jackets win the lottery and then trade it to move up to #1.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
They also have a deep hole at RD since Weber is gone and Petry isnt likely to be back. Nemec could be there guy all along. Why not add another good asset if you can get the guy you wanted all along at 3rd?
Hey if it their evaluation says that Wright isnt #1, by all means, but id be shocked

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Being a Coyote fan, I too thought which team would overpay for 1st OA. Came to the conclusion that noone would make it a worthwhile trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just don't see Jarmo doing that trade unless he's absolutely infatuated with someone at the top or thinks he can get an absolute steal of a player with Calgarys pick.

But there's probably less than 0.01% chance that the Jackets win the lottery and then trade it to move up to #1.

We will find out tonight where the Habs and Blue Jackets pick. Basically that guy at the top Jarmo might like a lot is Wright. Hard to say what the drop off is after him. And there is a fair amount of talent from 20-40 range in this draft.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We will find out tonight where the Habs and Blue Jackets pick. Basically that guy at the top Jarmo might like a lot is Wright. Hard to say what the drop off is after him. And there is a fair amount of talent from 20-40 range in this draft.
It might be wright but more than likely it's one or two of the other 5-10 players. It doesn't make much sense to trade one really good player for two potentially really good players.

It doesn't seem like their is that elite can't miss player that you make a no brainer trade for.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
You shouldn't be.
not sure why you wouldl say that; besides the draft being in montreal in front of fans clamoring for Wright, we have a need at 1 or 2 C (depending on your valuation of Suzuki). Also, i couldnt find anyting on google, but when is the last time the 1OA was traded knowing that it was 1OA? I mean prior to draft (not like Lindros).

it would take a king's ransom IMO, so to me, that is shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad