Hab Hating (1979-2014)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Considering we’re embroiled in another Bruins – Habs playoff series, I figured now would be a great time to go back and look at my most dislikable Habs from the past 35 years, which encompasses the years that I have been a Bruin fan.

Please keep this fun and above board. Nobody dislikes that team more than I (and I have no problem with them hating the Bruins) but I think this can be a great way to share stories and blow off steam if necessary.

I’d also love to see if I missed anyone, especially from those older than I, and those younger as well. I’m always fascinated by the number of younger fans that don’t hate a lot of the 80’s Canadiens as much as I do but then I remember that a lot of older fans may dislike guys from before 1979 or so that aren’t on my radar.

Here goes.

1. Guy Carbonneau –If you need to get a visual image of what a “Dirty Hab” looks like, look up this guy. Dirty player, frequent diver and just an all around villain. A lot of Bruins weren't Saints but I've talked to actual Saints that called Carbonneau a tool.

2. Chris Nilan – Boston roots be damned. His butt end to Middleton was one of, if not the biggest d-bag moves of all time. Sucker punch on Boutilier was probably a top 15 dirty move as well, and considering those two players were clean, stand up guys, it makes him an even bigger dirtbag.

3. Patrick Roy – Aside from the domestic abuse and terrible mullet, even by 80’s standards, this was a guy you just wanted to take a slap shot to the mask every time he played.

4. Chris Chelios – A dirty player, even for the 80’s and one of the biggest fake tough guys of all time. Probably the most overrated player of the decade. Did nothing particularly well, save for miraculously maintaining a perfect tan and body, well into his 40’s. Hmmmm? :sarcasm:

5. Claude Lemieux – Rat, coward, diver, fraud, agitator. None of these words truly conveys exactly how much of a scoundrel this guy was. Kind of a cross between Cooke, Burrows and Ott, but without the class, integrity and good looks of those 3.

6. Mike Komisarek – If the 5,456 Habs fans with usernames that include some reference to his name (i.e. Komitickler, MassagemeKomi, Komitonguebath54, etc.)wasn’t enough to make you hate him, how about the gutless way he played the game. He’s so recent that anyone reading this knows his story but the fact that he literally broke his stick across Lucic’s face and there was no supplemental discipline still amazes me.

7. John Kordic – Still can visualize an SI picture of a roided out Kordic from about 25 years ago. Hab fans thought he was the answer to Byers and Miller but they quickly and frequently learned he was no match for them or most other true heavies of the era.

8. Alexei Kovalev – Turtleneck wearing, floater that embodies what it means to be a Hab. Tons of talent – microscopic heart and guts. I hope his wrist is healed from the love tap Green gave him in the playoffs a few years ago.

9. Shayne Corson – I read an article that compared him to power forwards like Neely, Clark, Tocchett and Kevin Stevens. I broke a rib from laughing. Career high 31 goals was a good start to the season for those guys. Fittingly he was about 1/3 as tough as them too.

10. Petr Svoboda – If you watched him play against the B’s in the 80’s, you saw what it meant to play scared. Made good use of his stick for everything other than playing the puck though.

11. Todd Ewen – Another lug brought in to counter the Bruins toughness. Problem was that ice is slippery.

12. Craig Ludwig – Did he really “fall down” or was he just so in the habit of diving that it happened instinctively?

13. Mike Ribeiro – A near perfect Carbonneau clone. One of the more relentless divers of all time. Part of me wishes he was still a Hab because he never really got the comeuppance he deserved.

14. Andrei Markov – I’ll give him credit, for the first 5 years of his career he was on a path to be one of the greatest divers in NHL history but, he’s toned it down and now is only top 50.

15. PK Subban – Dives, ducks, slashes, slew foots and avoids anyone tougher than Carl Soderberg like the plague. More frustrating is that he seems to be having fun playing the game that way and many B’s fans seem to have a love affair with him.

16. Brian Engblom – Wouldn’t be this high on the list if not for his “work” (and I use that word loosely) as a color man.

17. Max Pacioretty – Maybe it’s the ever present smug look on his face or the frustratingly dismissive way he shoved Chara after scoring a relatively meaningless goal a few years back, but this frat-boy looking tool makes my blood boil every time I see him. Reminds you of the guy your ex dumped you for because he's way more successful than you.

18. Darcy Tucker – Only spent a few years in Montreal but that’s where he honed the diving and cheap shotting skills that marked the rest of his career.

19. Gino Odjick – Only played a handful of games for the Habs, but may have set the record for most games played with the lowest IQ.

20. Brian Skrudland – Carbonneau-lite. Frustratingly dirty (held opponents better than 99% of players in league history) coupled with an annoying “look” makes him top 20 worthy. His name seemed like it would be ripe for a truly degrading nickname but I was never able to come up with one.

21. Andrei Kostitsyn – Dirty, diving Hab! Or was that his brother?

22. Sergei Kostitsyn – Dirty, diving Hab! Or was that his brother?

23. Donald Brashear – Don’t really have a big problem with him, but he was an enforcer for the Habs, so he makes the list.

24. Stephane Richer – The original Kovalev, but much more beautiful.

25. Tomas Plekanec - Like frigging dog crap on your sneaker, this guy just doesn’t seem to go away. Has played only 679 regular season games for the Habs, but somehow has their record for most games played. Typical, diver, slasher and occasional turtle neck wearer.

26. Bobby Smith – Tall, goofy looking guy that also played for the North Stars, another big Bruins rival in the late 70’s early 80’s. Fought 5'Nothing Steve Kasper to start the game that I believe set the record for PIM's at the time. (Kasper beat him, IIRC)

27. Carey Price – Probably the greatest goaltender ever in the history of the NHL (if you don't count career stats and accomplishments). Congrats on the gold medal though. I truly doubt that 99.9% of NHL goaltenders could have carried such a weak team to gold!

28. Gaston Gingras – Annoying name, sure. But what really annoyed me was his inability to reach his true potential. Classic all tool, no toolbox guy and I really don’t know why his failure bothers me so much.

29. Guy Lafleur – Great player, probably a good person but I’ll still never forgive him for choosing to score instead of shooting wide in 1979.

30. Jose Charbonneau – Reminds me of Carbonneau. Probably a dirt bag too.

31. Chris Higgins – Had 120 odd goals with the Habs. Seemingly 76 of them vs. the Bruins.

32. Pierre Mondou – His name is Pierre Mondou!

33. Joe Juneau – Dated a family friend (treated her okay) but I lost touch with her around the time they were dating, which was when he was with the B’s, so I was never able to take advantage of their relationship.

34. Brendan Gallagher - Currently emerging as a Hab villain.

35. Everyone else – except a select few that I liked or at least didn’t hate, This includes, but is not limited to: Souray, Gainey, Robinson, Walter, Laraque and Quintal.

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
#34 potentially already way too low

Also gotta name

laraque.jpg

Nice list otherwise

Last edited by a moderator:

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Never understood why Bruins fans want PK Subban on this team. His constant diving/embellishment and dirty hits are a disgrace to the game. He is also a defensive liability. About the only things he is good at is skating and power-play.

spokedB

Aug 2, 2005
western Maine
Goes back much further - to 1955 when Richard had a tantrum that would have cost any other player his career. But the League only suspended Richard for breaking a few sticks over Hal Laycoe's back and head and punching out a linesman. Come to think of it. Inspector clouseau of the Montreal Police didn't even want to have a talk with Richard.

The fans basically destroyed a section of St. Catherine's St. to express their displeasure that L'Enfant was punished for losing it.

Richard was a great hockey player and an arrogant male appendage who thought he could get away with anything.

Reactions: BMC

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Never understood why Bruins fans want PK Subban on this team. His constant diving/embellishment and dirty hits are a disgrace to the game. He is also a defensive liability. About the only things he is good at is skating and power-play.

About half that post sounded exactly like:

EmanVfx.png

But the most amusing part about your post is that Subban > Krug, and you probably love Krug

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Excellent list!

Yvonne Lambert -- that heart crushing goal in OT in the infamous too many men game. I smashed the footstool in our den to bits and got is a crapload of trouble. Thanks Yvonne.

Mario Tremblay -- Scummy, dirty diver. Whiner supreme. Smug and wholly unlikeable -- I expect even by his mother.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
17. Max Pacioretty – Maybe it’s the ever present smug look on his face or the frustratingly dismissive way he shoved Chara after scoring a relatively meaningless goal a few years back, but this frat-boy looking tool makes my blood boil every time I see him. Reminds you of the guy your ex dumped you for because he's way more successful than you.

You nailed it with Pacioretty, you haven't by chance met him have you? I only ask because this is exactly how he was on the couple occasions I met him. He and I have a few mutual friends from New Canaan so I met him over the summer in 2007 before his year at Michigan. Just one of those people you meet that absolutely rubs you the wrong way, I don't know maybe it's the entitled personality that you see from some people from Fairfield County that come from substantial wealth like him, even my friends from that area have a "better than you" attitude. He's #1 on my list. Then again if I was from the 5th wealthiest town in the country and home of the highest median income in the country and NHL level hockey skills I may be a bit smug to.

Last edited:

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan

EmanVfx.png

But the most amusing part about your post is that Subban > Krug, and you probably love Krug
Marchand doesn't embellish anywhere near as much as Subban and Krug is like a Subban light and will have a better contract and none of the classlessness. Not sure what you are trying to say with this post.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Habs fan here, fun list :)

But, I droped my coffee when I saw that name below... I have to admit, you have an excellent memory of Habs players because this one... was resting in the forgotten part of my brain :laugh:

30. Jose Charbonneau – Reminds me of Carbonneau. Probably a dirt bag too.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Sarge has to be the best read on Habs Bruins history we have here, his knowledge and hatred both run deep!

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
1. Guy Carbonneau –If you need to get a visual image of what a “Dirty Hab†looks like, look up this guy. Dirty player, frequent diver and just an all around villain. A lot of Bruins weren't Saints but I've talked to actual Saints that called Carbonneau a tool.

You forgot his stint as a coach - that's where my hate for him really ramped up. So annoying, with that perma-smirk on his face, and those teams he coached that epitomized the recent Hab tradition of over-reliance on goaltending and powerplays. Ugh.

acr*

Richard Zednik was a cheap one too

I hated Steve Begin's guts as a Hab for being a dirty piece of crap, and I hated him as a Bruin because he played as the exact opposite and never got physical.

Christobal Huet was annoying because he came out of nowhere and shouldn't have ever been anything more than a backup, but always shut us out 7 times a year.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto

EmanVfx.png

Subban has the ability to be a good player but he is gutless, holds your stick constantly watch him,, he even changed hands holding Z's stick last game... as long as he chooses to play like he does you can have him...don't want him on the B's

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
#34 potentially already way too low

Also gotta name

laraque.jpg

Nice list otherwise

You know I didn't have a huge problem with him. He really took Lucic off the hook in his first year when Claude told him not to fight BGL, which I though was pretty classy.

Laraque said something like, there are times when you need to fight and times when you don't. Lucic is (was) a rookie and his coach told him not to fight. You can't expect him to go against his coaches order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad