Hab 30 Goal Scorers in the Past Decade

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
By chance, this guy never coached Crosby, Letang or Malkin.
Yep. Coached Carey Price too. It’s the only reason his record isn’t atrocious. Btw, notice what happened in 2016 when Price went down. We fell to bottom of the league and he played DD on the first until we fell out of the playoffs… then dumbass puts in Chuck and he goes a point per game the rest of the way. It was ridiculous.

Btw, he had the Penguins out of the playoffs and near the bottom of the league possession wise before getting fired. He left, the new guy came in and Pittsburgh suddenly went top five everywhere. They went on a tear, made the playoffs and went on to win the cup.

Therrien was a bad enough coach that he was the difference between missing the postseason and winning a cup. He was that bad.

God awful coach.

Reactions: HabsMD97

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Yep. Coached Carey Price too. It’s the only reason his record isn’t atrocious. Btw, notice what happened in 2016 when Price went down. We fell to bottom of the league and he played DD on the first until we fell out of the playoffs… then dumbass puts in Chuck and he goes a point per game the rest of the way. It was ridiculous.

Btw, he had the Penguins out of the playoffs and near the bottom of the league possession wise before getting fired. He left, the new guy came in and Pittsburgh suddenly went top five everywhere. They went on a tear, made the playoffs and went on to win the cup.

Therrien was a bad enough coach that he was the difference between missing the postseason and winning a cup. He was that bad.

God awful coach.
Agree with you that Michel was clearly not the one of the best. But I dont believe he's the sole reason of Galchenyuk debacle.

Reactions: barbu

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I will believe it when I see it.

Back in 2013-2014, people were very optimistic about the forwards future on the team.
And we had every reason to be. We were a good young team and Carey Price was on his way to becoming arguably the best player in the league. We had a top three pick who showed real promise. A legit superstar blueliner who’d already won a Norris. A good young sniper and solid supporting cast including Andrew Markov.

Unfortunately we also had an idiot coach who wanted everyone to play like Brandon Prust and told PK Subban to grind.

Btw almost that entire core came from previous management. There was no way we could know how bad a GM Bergevin would turn out to be.
Galchenyuk was an up and coming stud with tons of potential (like Slaf)
Gallagher was a pest that was on the way of scoring 30 goals
Pacioretty was entering his prime and was nearing PPG and 40 goals while being decent defensively (similar to Suzuki)

Things did not turn out the way people thought. So let's first see some results in the NHL and then we can say future is bright.

Currently, only 3 forwards have over 30 pts. That is absolutely PATHETIC.
Yep. But the old regime is gone. New mgmt has already been light years ahead. We’ve got tons of talent coming up and Timmins late picks are panning out too. Not a coincidence.

There’s every reason to be optimistic about where we’re going.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Agree with you that Michel was clearly not the one of the best. But I dont believe he's the sole reason of Galchenyuk debacle.

Well yeah, Therrien in this situation represent the tip of the iceberg of what was a very dysfunctional organization at the time.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
And we had every reason to be. We were a good young team and Carey Price was on his way to becoming arguably the best player in the league. We had a top three pick who showed real promise. A legit superstar blueliner who’d already won a Norris. A good young sniper and solid supporting cast including Andrew Markov.

Unfortunately we also had an idiot coach who wanted everyone to play like Brandon Prust and told PK Subban to grind.

Btw almost that entire core came from previous management. There was no way we could know how bad a GM Bergevin would turn out to be.

Yep. But the old regime is gone. New mgmt has already been light years ahead. We’ve got tons of talent coming up and Timmins late picks are panning out too. Not a coincidence.

There’s every reason to be optimistic about where we’re going.

Blaming the coach for everything wrong is so predictable. It's not like Galchenyuk had issues that altered his development. He is the one blame, not the coach.
PK did just as good in Nashville as in MTL. So clearly the coach did not affect his play that much. Not saying Therrien was great but not everything can be blamed on his. Players need to take responsibility.

As for the new management being decent, that will be determined starting next year when the first batch of players drafted become pro. This is still mainly the team from the Clown's era. Only Slaf, Matheson, Newhook (and Dach if he ever stays healthy for a full season) are Hughes addition.

His trades have been pretty average TBH but like I said I will reserve judgement starting next year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Blaming the coach for everything wrong is so predictable. It's not like Galchenyuk had issues that altered his development. He is the one blame, not the coach.
Everything? No. But it seems people have forgotten their history.

In 2016 Price had gone down, we couldn’t buy a goal and Chuck was playing great hockey. No matter what he did Desharnais stayed o. The first line.

That is purely coaching and it was and is indefensible.
PK did just as good in Nashville as in MTL. So clearly the coach did not affect his play that much. Not saying Therrien was great but not everything can be blamed on his. Players need to take responsibility.
Therrien was garbage.

The moment Carey Price went down we went from first to last. That never should’ve happened. The lineup wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t bad. Therrien made sure we tanked and did so unintentionally.

And no, of course it’s not all his fault. Our GM never really added to the team. It was just a really poorly run shit show for years.
As for the new management being decent, that will be determined starting next year when the first batch of players drafted become pro. This is still mainly the team from the Clown's era. Only Slaf, Matheson, Newhook (and Dach if he ever stays healthy for a full season) are Hughes addition.

His trades have been pretty average TBH but like I said I will reserve judgement starting next year.
We’re already so much better at developing players and have stockpiled talent like we used to before MB showed up.

None of us can know the future but we can certainly judge the prospect pool. It’s a great group.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I will believe it when I see it.

Back in 2013-2014, people were very optimistic about the forwards future on the team.

Galchenyuk was an up and coming stud with tons of potential (like Slaf)
Gallagher was a pest that was on the way of scoring 30 goals
Pacioretty was entering his prime and was nearing PPG and 40 goals while being decent defensively (similar to Suzuki)

Things did not turn out the way people thought. So let's first see some results in the NHL and then we can say future is bright.

Currently, only 3 forwards have over 30 pts. That is absolutely PATHETIC.
That was back when the clown GM hired the wrong coaches................and we are still paying for the same clown GM who couldn't draft and develop.

Hughes and Gorton deserve the same chance as Bergevin, all the while they are using their brains...which of course Bergevin didn't have any...with regards to drafting, and developing kids.

But yes, only 3 of them have more than 30 pts and only one drafted by Bergevin ( Caufield ) one by trade, in Suzuki, and one drafted by HuGo in Slafkosky.

The current group is removing the old, lay it on da goalie as their mantra, and it will take some time. Unfortunately. They have slowly but surely been cleaning up the mess left behind....
Better days ahead...

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
We’re already so much better at developing players and have stockpiled talent like we used to before MB showed up.

None of us can know the future but we can certainly judge the prospect pool. It’s a great group.

We will see
D prospects are I believe the strongest in the NHL (or at the very least top 3). The forwards prospects are most likely worst in NHL (if we consider Slafkovsky and Roy graduated). As long as things remain like that, I remain cautious about our "better days ahead".

This disbalance is proven both at NHL and AHL level.

3 of the Habs top 10 scorers are D-man while Laval's offense goes through Mailloux and the D group.

Hughes will have to trade some D-man for some forwards at some point. We'll see how he fares.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We will see
D prospects are I believe the strongest in the NHL (or at the very least top 3). The forwards prospects are most likely worst in NHL (if we consider Slafkovsky and Roy graduated). As long as things remain like that, I remain cautious about our "better days ahead".

This disbalance is proven both at NHL and AHL level.

3 of the Habs top 10 scorers are D-man while Laval's offense goes through Mailloux and the D group.

Hughes will have to trade some D-man for some forwards at some point. We'll see how he fares.
You are using the word ‘worst’ when you should be using ‘youngest’. That forward group has awesome potential and we’re going to get another high pick soon

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Chucky could have been more with a different coach. His dad and habits didn't help but the right coach could have set him straight. He'd have been something special with Marty as his coach.

It's a tall order. Pat burns was notorious for always knowing who went where and for how long and he would be there waiting for them. It didn't stop the troublemakers from being troublemakers.

The difference was that those guys still performed on the ice. Guys like corson and chelios particularly, but for some others, the personal side will inevitably get in the way of the professional side. I mentioned corson earlier but it did catch up to him eventually too where he would miss games with panic attacks.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
You are using the word ‘worst’ when you should be using ‘youngest’. That forward group has awesome potential and we’re going to get another high pick soon
I disagree... Slafkovsky is interesting, Suzuki is hitting his prime and Caufield has nice potential.
I am as high on Roy as anyone here so I will add him as well. Those are the only 4 forwards with 60+ pts potential*. No one in the forward prospect group has that potential. The best one is Beck who I think tops out as a #3C.
Who knows who we draft. Maybe BPA is a D-man and we go with that option yet again.

*Kirby Dach also has 60 pts + potential but you cannot bank on him staying healthy so I excluded him

Last edited:

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Easy to bash Therrien as he wasn't very personable but his record the second time around with the Habs is hard to knock

2012-1349MTLNHL482914.656
2013-1450MTLNHL824628.610
2014-1551MTLNHL825022.671
2015-1652MTLNHL823838.500
2016-1753MTLNHL583119.603

4 out of 5 seasons above .600.
In the past 30 years only two other coaches have had a .600+ season:

2016-17 Claude Julien (Who took over the last 24 games for a team already at .603 from Therrien)
2007-08 Guy Carbonneau .634

Also have to go all the way back to 1989 to see another coach (Pat Burns) lead the team to 50 wins.

Therrien's numbers are impressive

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Easy to bash Therrien as he wasn't very personable but his record the second time around with the Habs is hard to knock

2016-17 Claude Julien (Who took over the last 24 games for a team already at .603 from Therrien)

Also have to go all the way back to 1989 to see another coach (Pat Burns) lead the team to 50 wins.

It helps to have Carey Price in his prime backstopping your teams, doesn’t it?

The Habs were among the lower-ranked teams in GF and other offensive stats across the board. Price literally was the difference.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
It helps to have Carey Price in his prime backstopping your teams, doesn’t it?

The Habs were among the lower-ranked teams in GF and other offensive stats across the board. Price literally was the difference.
Prime Price definitely helps. Claude Julien had Price as well and only hit .600 once in his five years (the 24 games after he took over for Therrien) between 2016-2021

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I disagree... Slafkovsky is interesting, Suzuki is hitting his prime and Caufield has nice potential.
I am as high on Roy as anyone here so I will add him as well. Those are the only 4 forwards with 60+ pts potential*. No one in the forward prospect group has that potential. The best one is Beck who I think tops out as a #3C.
Who knows who we draft. Maybe BPA is a D-man and we go with that option yet again.

*Kirby Dach also has 60 pts + potential but you cannot bank on him staying healthy so I excluded him
You are writing off Newhook. He may be a 60 points player yet, he is 23 and on a 50-point pace already, with injury along the way.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Kirby Dach shouldn’t be ignored and we’ve got another top six guy who’ll be drafted this year. That will bump Newhook to the third with Beck.

It’s a good group.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

How were his numbers without Carey Price in the lineup?

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Let me test those spoiler tags (first time I see those here)

Habs will win the cup before the Leafs

zx81

Aug 2, 2005

I was not Therrien's biggest fan but the hiring of Julien was the start of the downfall.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Am I old if I remember Richer potting 50?
He did it twice.
And we traded him twice.
Granted we got Muller on the first trade so it was an ok one. Still I would have never traded a 50 goal scorer who still had many years in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: waitin425

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
How were his numbers without Carey Price in the lineup?
That's a bit of work but let's give it a go:

2012-13 = .850
Peter Budaj = 8-1-1

2013-14 = .587
Peter Budaj = 10-8-3
Dustin Tokarski = 2-0-0

2014-15 = .500
Dustin Tokarski = 6-6-4

2015-16 = .443
Dustin Tokarski = 1-3-0
Charlie Lindgren = 1-0-0
Mike Condon = 21-25-6
Ben Scrivens = 5-8-0

2016-17 = .600
Charlie Lindgren = 2-0-0
Al Montoya = 8-6-4
* Some of these might have been under Julien's 24 games

Total = .525
64-57-18

So Therrien without Price is only a .525 winning percentage during his second stint with Montreal. Not nearly as impressive unless you consider that achieving a winning record with our average offense and that scrap pile of back-up goaltenders he had to work with to pull it off.

He did it twice.
And we traded him twice.
Granted we got Muller on the first trade so it was an ok one. Still I would have never traded a 50 goal scorer who still had many years in him.
Apparently he struggled with mental health and confidence issues - sounds like Savard was well aware when he moved him in '91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad