Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This trade is bad, McPhee has weakened us through trade so far in all of our seasons apart from the Stone trade, and will probably only be worse when McPhee inevitably throws away a lot of those "9 picks in the first three rounds" on rentals to improve a team that might not be there.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Gusev-Hughes could be pretty amazing next season for them. Or maybe he'll just play RW and set up Taylor Hall all day long.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I really hope management does a better job of keeping assets in the future. We have payed a hefty price to bring in some players. Not having Reaves or Holden would have allowed us to keep Gusev and I’ll take his potential over those other two any day.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Then don't do the deal with the Devils.

I'd rather have a 2nd 2020 and a mediocre prospect than what we got. 2020 is an incredibly stacked draft.

Never make a deal with the Devil.

Funnily enough, even though they're cap compliant they're still not TRULY cap compliant in that if they wanted Pirri, Glass and Whitecloud on the roster they couldn't do it for opening night.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
2YFvmP3.jpg

Just something interesting to note.

Wouldn't be surprised if Schuldt signed a 1 year 716,667k deal

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
FWIW, here's my take:

As an expansion team, we are probably for now up against the cap because we had to draft a team of veterans in stead of having some players on their ELC's to offset the fact that even so-so veterans make more money than cheaper rookies/2nd year players.

As the years progress, and with good drafting and plenty of draft choices, that won't necessarily be the case.

VGK has a natural advantage as it is a desirable hockey destination (thanks especially to the LV fans for making the arena rock) in a low-tax state with good weather, reasonable housing, etc. We also have a lot of excellent young players signed to long-term extensions at very competitive prices (Marchy, Schmidt, Theodore, Smith et al.).

While I'd have liked to have seen how Gusev performed, and certainly we didn't get all that much for him, we now have a ton of picks we can flip for blue line help later in the year. I'm not sure we won't be appreciably better this year than last (but I'll be going to 30+ games win or lose), but I think we're setting ourselves up to be Cup contenders 2 or 3 years down the line and a very dominant tema for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: GKG18

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
He better be a star player to be paid at that level. Unless he can step on the ice game one and be a top 6 player on BOTH ENDS of the ice then this contract is not an asset to the Devils. The Knights don't have the leeway to give out any more risky or bad contracts. That's what needs to be considered, not what the return was. And if he becomes a star in a few years, this is all irrelevant because he'll demand even more money the team probably wouldn't pay him.

If a player is going to demand a bad contract, your hands are tied as far as who you can trade him to, but at least someone was found and some assets were acquired. Its incorrect to say he's worth a 1st round pick if he has to come with this contract. If you could force him to take a deal at under $3m AAV for two years, then he's an asset and someone might have been willing to trade a 1st for him and of course the Knights probably would have found a way to sign him themselves.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Coming to the VGK board to troll is a no-no, but I'm sure you knew that, Salt Jose fan. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The quote was actually from the main board. I didn't realize the board I posted that quote on was now on the Vegas board. Not trying to troll anyone but you, and only on the main boards. Sorry, haha. Would delete if I could. Will re-post in correct location :nod:

Edit: Moved :thumbu:

Last edited:

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I think if Gallant wanted to coach him and was banging the table for him they would have made moves to make room. I really don’t think Gallant cared for him.

Oh well. Instead of moping and being pissed off I’m going to look at it like this: we really lost nothing. Instead of getting a KHL prospect like Gusev in the expansion draft we got another 2nd and 3rd instead.

He got more money than he asked us for. Let’s face it guys, Gusev was not coming down on his price. McPhee messed up here in that he should have never burned that ELC. He should have made him play this year for ELC money.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think if Gallant wanted to coach him and was banging the table for him they would have made moves to make room. I really don’t think Gallant cared for him.

Oh well. Instead of moping and being pissed off I’m going to look at it like this: we really lost nothing. Instead of getting a KHL prospect like Gusev in the expansion draft we got another 2nd and 3rd instead.

He got more money than he asked us for. Let’s face it guys, Gusev was not coming down on his price. McPhee messed up here in that he should have never burned that ELC. He should have made him play this year for ELC money.
Fair point but we don't know if he would have come if not for burning off the ELC. Agents are sharp, they probably laid out the path he got and they deserve the $$$ for making this happen. And on the bright side for the peanuts they paid for him to show up to a few practices they got two decent picks.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I still think they saw him more as a trade chip to parlay into more assets. A dangerous game to be playing, to be sure. It's the lack of a conditional 1st that sticks in my craw. That and the Devils are now using my Goose meme.

If this means they made a calculated decision to choose playing rookie Glass over him I'll be less mad, but with Pirri re-signing I doubt it.

I will say that bit of news that VGK had interest in offering Ferland a cheap contract to maybe play on 3rd line LW is interesting, if that's their plan. If they move Holden and bring in another winger unexpectedly I'll be less mad still.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
He better be a star player to be paid at that level. Unless he can step on the ice game one and be a top 6 player on BOTH ENDS of the ice then this contract is not an asset to the Devils. The Knights don't have the leeway to give out any more risky or bad contracts. That's what needs to be considered, not what the return was. And if he becomes a star in a few years, this is all irrelevant because he'll demand even more money the team probably wouldn't pay him.

If a player is going to demand a bad contract, your hands are tied as far as who you can trade him to, but at least someone was found and some assets were acquired. Its incorrect to say he's worth a 1st round pick if he has to come with this contract. If you could force him to take a deal at under $3m AAV for two years, then he's an asset and someone might have been willing to trade a 1st for him and of course the Knights probably would have found a way to sign him themselves.

What level is 4.5 M? The forwards that were signed in that range during free agency were Johansson and Simmonds. I'll take my chances with Gusev over either of those guys. Overall, I think it is a very reasonable contract for what he should be able to bring and it's only for 2 years.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
We like our players to come from the WHL. It's pretty much that simple. And I suppose McCrimmon knows the WHL better than pretty much anyone else so I guess we can make this situation work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad