Waived: Gusev on Waivers

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm not sure how picking him up would be doing him any favours. I agree with you though, I think in all likelihood he will be passed on and the reasons you cited about his play style will play a big factor.
In this COVID season, nobody is going to pick up a waiver claim unless the team plans to play him. So picking up Gusev would imply playing time. That would definitely be a favor, especially considering his style of play only suits the top 2 lines and PP.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It was for expansion draft considerations. Who did Yzerman end up being able to keep from Vegas because of this trade? We don't know that Yzerman didn't like him. That's just speculation.

IIRC, it was a multi-faceted thing were Yzerman was paying Vegas to:

A. Take the last year of Jason Garrison's contract
B. Stay away from unprotected young Dmen Jake Dotchin and Slater Koekkoek

Also IIRC, Gusev came out and said that he had never even spoken to Yzerman and that someone else from the Lightning org. was telling him they thought he would only be an AHL player.

I'll bet the reality is somewhere in the middle. Yzerman might have been interested in bringing Gusev over, but wasn't guaranteeing him immunity from having to spend a little bit of time in the AHL if it was warranted.

At the same time, Yzerman probably never would've brought him to NA the way Vegas did by letting him burn his ELC so he could sign for bigger money before he's even skated on NA ice. So it was probably unlikely to work out anyway.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
0 reason to claim him.

This.

History with Yzerman or not. I don't see where Gusev would really benefit the Red Wings...

I mean if he hypothetically comes in for the rest of the year and doesn't move the needle or even flat out stinks, he's just taking a roster spot or ice time that, from I understand, is supposed to be entitled to Svechnikov.

But then if he comes in and lights it up and helps the Wings win a few more games than they'd be expected to down the stretch, he:

-Decreased the Wings odds at winning the lottery
-Increases Blashill's odds of getting a new contract
-Increases his odds of cashing in as a UFA and leaving Detroit
-Puts the fanbase in an odd spot where they have to find some way to blame the above three factors on Chris Illitch being cheap

In all reality, the best thing for Gusev at this point would probably be to clear waivers and have the Devils deal him with retention to a contender that stashes him on their taxi squad as depth in hopes that he has some 2010 Ville Leino redemption if they have to call upon him in the playoffs.

Reactions: kliq and Ezekial

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
History with Yzerman or not. I don't see where Gusev would really benefit the Red Wings...

I mean if he hypothetically comes in for the rest of the year and doesn't move the needle or even flat out stinks, he's just taking a roster spot or ice time that, from I understand, is supposed to be entitled to Svechnikov.

When guys like Helm, Glendening and Ryan are sold, then there's icetime for all, Gusev, Svechnikov, Givani etc.

But then if he comes in and lights it up and helps the Wings win a few more games than they'd be expected to down the stretch, he:

-Decreased the Wings odds at winning the lottery.

Meaningless this year. That draft is so equal.

But you could build some connections for Gusev to re-sign next year, if getting him already in here. Could rebuild his value, not use expansion protection slot for him but have verbal agreement to re-sign after that. Just get more skill on the offence. 2-3 year deal and made him expendable in the future when more skill kids are ready.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Gusev clicked really well with Kucherov in KHL and I believe that is why Tampa drafted him. Yzerman ended up trading him from Tampa and didn't seem to look back I think Yzerman has moved on. Gusev needs a ton of sheltered minutes that Detroit can not provide at this time.

I think Gusev's best move is back to the KHL

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
When guys like Helm, Glendening and Ryan are sold, then there's icetime for all, Gusev, Svechnikov, Givani etc.

Meaningless this year. That draft is so equal.

But you could build some connections for Gusev to re-sign next year, if getting him already in here. Could rebuild his value, not use expansion protection slot for him but have verbal agreement to re-sign after that. Just get more skill on the offence. 2-3 year deal and made him expendable in the future when more skill kids are ready.

I "use" to think this also. But after the Gostisbehere situation, I'm not sure we're picking up anyone. Especially someone that's 25 or over with no future or too much money/year.

I'm actually worried about how many people we can move/trade now. I'll be happy with one solid package for a 1st round pick if a team like Colorado/Carolina/Florida wants a package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad