Waived: Gusev on Waivers

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

$4.5M AAV and a pending UFA. RH shot who could inject some skill and help the PP. $4M in base salary.

I'd take a shot on him.

Why the dip in production this year? Just b/c Hischier is out?

I doubt SY picks him up if he didn't claim Ghost.

SY couldn't get him to agree to contract/come to NA, so he sent him packing to VGK. He couldn't afford him in '17 when he did want to play in NA...

2017-Jun-21 Rights traded from Tampa Bay Lightning with round 2 pick in the 2017 draft (Alexandre Texier) and round 4 pick in the 2018 draft (Paul Cotter) to Vegas Golden Knights for future considerations

Last edited:

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Why the dip in production this year? Just b/c Hischier is out?

I doubt SY picks him up if he didn't claim Ghost.

SY couldn't get him to agree to contract/come to NA, so he sent him packing to VGK.
2017-Jun-21 Rights traded from Tampa Bay Lightning with round 2 pick in the 2017 draft (Alexandre Texier) and round 4 pick in the 2018 draft (Paul Cotter) to Vegas Golden Knights for future considerations

It was for expansion draft considerations. Who did Yzerman end up being able to keep from Vegas because of this trade? We don't know that Yzerman didn't like him. That's just speculation.

His SH% is down, but he's also not getting the PP production he did last year with their new coach. I would peg him as a better Gagner. But maybe Gagner is better for the organization in a holistic sense.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It was for expansion draft considerations. Who did Yzerman end up being able to keep from Vegas because of this trade? We don't know that Yzerman didn't like him. That's just speculation.

His SH% is down, but he's also not getting the PP production he did last year with their new coach. I would peg him as a better Gagner. But maybe Gagner is better for the organization in a holistic sense.
see my edited post #2. It was b/c TB was up against the cap & couldn't afford him regardless in '17. By then Gusev was an established KHL star/champ.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
We have much less need for a winger than we do a D. He looks to really be struggling. We won't be able to flip him for anything at the deadline. He'd need to come in and really dominate to be worth extending, at which point he'd be filling a similar role as a young Raymond, Berggren, or even Hirose. I don't see this making sense if we weren't leaping at Tyler Johnson and Gostisbehere

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
We have much less need for a winger than we do a D. He looks to really be struggling. We won't be able to flip him for anything at the deadline. He'd need to come in and really dominate to be worth extending, at which point he'd be filling a similar role as a young Raymond, Berggren, or even Hirose. I don't see this making sense if we weren't leaping at Tyler Johnson and Gostisbehere

A pending UFA vs. players who have multiple years left on their deals after the current season is a big difference.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
no reason to get him , but it just telling me one more time it is not real estate now, sellers market . It is buyers market now , dont expect great offers for our potential trade bates

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
He cant skate right now AND he's a UFA. maybe he can still be a valuable NHLer after a tough summer of conditioning, but It would be a total waste of money to take him on now.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
He cant skate right now AND he's a UFA. maybe he can still be a valuable NHLer after a tough summer of conditioning, but It would be a total waste of money to take him on now.

How much would he actually cost?

His cap hit is $4.5
His salary is $4.0
Less than 40% of the season remains
Much of what remains is deferred or unrealized anyways

So you actually only have to pay him something less than $1.5M? Could be well worth it in the long run. Very little to lose.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
After passing on Ghost I'm not gonna get my hopes up for any waiver adds.

I'm with you. Unlike Gostisbehere in Philly, I feel like New Jersey has no incentive whatsoever to treat Gusev as a negative value asset. If nobody claims him, they'll just ride him out until he becomes a UFA.

So if you don't claim him, you likely won't get him before free agency.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
These cases aren't identical. No extra years on Gusev with bonus-styled contract.

And Yzerman did draft this guy. Could see him claimed with higher probabitlity than Gostisbehere.
You gotta figure Blash wants him just to try and rejuvenate Filppula and Brome on the Taxi Squad

/s

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
These cases aren't identical. No extra years on Gusev with bonus-styled contract (like Gosti).

And Yzerman did draft this guy. Could see him claimed with higher probabitlity than Gostisbehere.
Why would he want to take on a reclamation project that refused to sign a contract while he was at Tampa? Stevie definitely doesn't owe him any favors.

Plus we know Stevie has a preference for faster skaters, especially if they're small. Blash (if he factors into this at all) has a preference for defensive forwards (or at least 2 way), so it doesn't suit him either. Gusev is not "low event" hockey.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
As said, the Wings aren't picking him up. It will be interesting to see who they have, and don't have, on the roster after the deadline.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Why would he want to take on a reclamation project that refused to sign a contract while he was at Tampa? Stevie definitely doesn't owe him any favors.

Plus we know Stevie has a preference for faster skaters, especially if they're small. Blash (if he factors into this at all) has a preference for defensive forwards (or at least 2 way), so it doesn't suit him either. Gusev is not "low event" hockey.

I'm not sure how picking him up would be doing him any favours. I agree with you though, I think in all likelihood he will be passed on and the reasons you cited about his play style will play a big factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad