Guillaume Latendresse v James Sheppard

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Pretty hard to say...right now, I have to say Sheppard because he's not lazy on the ice and he's a better skater, but in the future, it might be pretty even. But it will only be even if Latendresse give it all each and every night. He will not be able to take nights off in the NHL...

Skillwise, I think it's pretty even, but because of the attitude, Sheppard has the edge.

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
Pretty hard to say...right now, I have to say Sheppard because he's not lazy on the ice and he's a better skater, but in the future, it might be pretty even. But it will only be even if Latendresse give it all each and every night. He will not be able to take nights off in the NHL...

Skillwise, I think it's pretty even, but because of the attitude, Sheppard has the edge.

This is good to hear because Latendresse almost made the Habs team out of camp last season. If I remember correctly, he was the last player cut.

Here's my question, how is Sheppard in the faceoff circle?

The Big E

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
i think it's even

but this years will be crucial for latendresse because i dont think habs will sign ufa , so he will have a real chance to make the team

and if he know a good camp , i think he will begin the year with us !!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know enough of James Sheppard to be absolutely sure of what to answer, so I'm gonna put it this way.

Guillaume Latendresse is having a junior career a-la Claude Lemieux, slightly less "mean" but signifiantly bigger. If he lives up to this promise, James Sheppard have to be DAMN GOOD to have more upside than him.

If Sheppard is something, like, Pierre Turgeon (to remain in the Q, and I really don't know Sheppard AT ALL to say something like this) and Latendresse is Claude Lemieux, I'd take Lemieux hands down, any day.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Personally I'd take Sheppard. He's a year younger, has less flaws in his game and his upside is a lot higher.

A lot higher? I don't agree...Latendresse's upside is quite high, but Sheppard has more chance to reach his upside.

And don't forget that Latendresse was once peged to go in the top 5...but bad skating and shoulder injuries was able drop him in the second round...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A lot higher? I don't agree...Latendresse's upside is quite high, but Sheppard has more chance to reach his upside.

And don't forget that Latendresse was once peged to go in the top 5...but bad skating and shoulder injuries was able drop him in the second round...

Sheppard...hes in better shape, hes a better skater, hes better defensivly...and personally i think Latendresse's offensive game is over rated.

Laurentides

Jan 22, 2003
Laval
Visit site
Sheppard...hes in better shape, hes a better skater, hes better defensivly...and personally i think Latendresse's offensive game is over rated.

Guillaume is in the best shape of his life right now. He is training almost every day at the Bell Centre with Montreal's staff. Im pretty sure he will be at 220 for the beggining of the camp. Lets not forget he was almost 240 last year (without being fat at all).

I like Sheppard a lot for his all-around game but I would pick a focus Guillaume Latendresse since he can bring the physical aspect game after game. Ive seen him play around 40 games last year and I LIKE him a lot.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Sheppard is a harder working Jason Arnott. He's good defensively, and he's a good passer. I can easily see him averaging a PPG in the future.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Personally I'd take Sheppard. He's a year younger, has less flaws in his game and his upside is a lot higher.

I think that in fact it is the opposite. Sheppard is more of a shure thing and Lats is all about upside... If Latendresse had Sheppard's work ethic, he would be unstoppable... As for the question I think it's pretty even. But Because I'm a habs fans I would take Lats (with the French Bias on)

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Guillaume is in the best shape of his life right now. He is training almost every day at the Bell Centre with Montreal's staff. Im pretty sure he will be at 220 for the beggining of the camp. Lets not forget he was almost 240 last year (without being fat at all). I like Sheppard a lot for his all-around game but I would pick a focus Guillaume Latendresse since he can bring the physical aspect game after game. Ive seen him play around 40 games last year and I LIKE him a lot.

i was just gonna post that, if a lazy not in shape Latendresse can score 43 goals, imagine what a hard working Latendresse can do? he's doing some intense training as we speak with Scott Levisting(sp?), the thing is that with Sheppard we know what to expect, for Latendresse he could become a bust or a top10 forward, top3 powerfroward one day, it all depends on him, but he's in good hands...

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Sheppard is a harder working Jason Arnott. He's good defensively, and he's a good passer. I can easily see him averaging a PPG in the future.

A harder working, less offensively talented and less mean Jason Arnott maybe.

Arnott was a helluva prospect when he was drafted, having produced more offence and regarded as a much nastier forward.

I like Sheppard a lot and see him as a very safe prospect, but let's not get out of hand here...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A harder working, less offensively talented and less mean Jason Arnott maybe.

Arnott was a helluva prospect when he was drafted, having produced more offence and regarded as a much nastier forward.

I like Sheppard a lot and see him as a very safe prospect, but let's not get out of hand here...

Some on HF under rate Sheppard's offensive upside. Many think he is just going to be a plugger...his offensive ceiling is HIGH...just because he is a responisble defensive player doesnt mean he wont put up the numbers.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Some on HF under rate Sheppard's offensive upside. Many think he is just going to be a plugger...his offensive ceiling is HIGH...just because he is a responisble defensive player doesnt mean he wont put up the numbers.

Never said he doesn't have offensive "upside". Just felt the reference that Sheppard was a harder working version of Jason Arnott was off.

Sheppard may indeed translate his talent into better offence than we have seen - it wouldn't shock me - but Arnott at the same age was ahead of Sheppard IMO. Heck, a year after getting drafted Arnott scored over 30 goals in the NHL - we won't see that from Sheppard. And making the general comparison would be one thing, but saying he works harder is just plain off IMO. And in terms of playing with an edge, I have not seen that from Sheppard to the degree we've seen it from Arnott through junior and his NHL career.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Never said he doesn't have offensive "upside". Just felt the reference that Sheppard was a harder working version of Jason Arnott was off.

Sheppard may indeed translate his talent into better offence than we have seen - it wouldn't shock me - but Arnott at the same age was ahead of Sheppard IMO. Heck, a year after getting drafted Arnott scored over 30 goals in the NHL - we won't see that from Sheppard. And making the general comparison would be one thing, but saying he works harder is just plain off IMO. And in terms of playing with an edge, I have not seen that from Sheppard to the degree we've seen it from Arnott through junior and his NHL career.
You really make it seem Sheppard has no offensive potential. The comparison to Arnott is off cause Arnott is a scorer while Sheppard is a playmaker with amazing vision and creativity, he protects the puck extremely well while being a beast along the boards. If anything Sheppard is a more of a poor mans Joe Thornton.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
You really make it seem Sheppard has no offensive potential. The comparison to Arnott is off cause Arnott is a scorer while Sheppard is a playmaker with amazing vision and creativity, he protects the puck extremely well while being a beast along the boards. If anything Sheppard is a more of a poor mans Joe Thornton.

Actually, he makes it seem like Sheppard has less offensive potential than Arnott did at the same age. There is a massive difference between saying he has less offensive potential than a guy who scored 30+ the year after he was drafted and saying he has no offensive potential.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

As per Squeaky's clarification, I'm just saying at the same age. That doesn't mean he won't turn into a scoring line forward, I'm just saying I don't see where Sheppard is ahead of Arnott at the same age in any way, or that he works harder and that overall, he doesn't bring the same grinding edge to his offensive game that Arnott does.

And really, comparisons to Thornton are few and far between. Sheppard is no where near the offensive talent Thornton was. Heck, Thornton had almost as many assists in his draft year as Sheppard had points and was the best player in the OHL.

Just because I think the Arnott comparison was a poor one, doesn't mean I'm bashing Sheppard or wouldn't love to have him on my team.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
As per Squeaky's clarification, I'm just saying at the same age. That doesn't mean he won't turn into a scoring line forward, I'm just saying I don't see where Sheppard is ahead of Arnott at the same age in any way, or that he works harder and that overall, he doesn't bring the same grinding edge to his offensive game that Arnott does.

And really, comparisons to Thornton are few and far between. Sheppard is no where near the offensive talent Thornton was. Heck, Thornton had almost as many assists in his draft year as Sheppard had points and was the best player in the OHL.

Just because I think the Arnott comparison was a poor one, doesn't mean I'm bashing Sheppard or wouldn't love to have him on my team.
When you play such a well rounded vetern game you don't allways put up the points you should. When Thornton and Arnott came to the NHL they had to work on defense thus hurting their point totals, Sheppard's game is pretty close to NHL ready right now.

I didn't say he would match Thornton's offense, I said his offenseive style is far more comparable to him then Arnott. Arnott is a scorer.

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
... Here's my question, how is Sheppard in the faceoff circle?

The Big E

... bump ...

Would anyone care to comment on his face-off ability? We don't have a good face-off man in Minnesota (just let Marc Chouinard go) and it'd be good to know how Sheppard does in the face-off circle.

Thanks!

The Big E

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad