Prospect Info: Guessing the category of player the Jets draft in Round 1

What category of player will the Jets draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
With all the uncertainty about the way the first round picks will go, it's hard to single out a player that the Jets are likely to select in Round 1. So this thread is about the category of player that the Jets will draft. The poll is for the guess / vote, and the discussion is to expand on the options.

Basically, another way of generating discussion about the draft.

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’ve never like BPA as a drafting strategy…if the BPA is an LW and the next in line is an RHD…take the damn RHD…fill the need.
Yes BPA can work out for rebuilding teams, but for a team like us with specific needs you draft for need..either by trading down or up
It’s just that you may not know your need 3-4 years out when your draft pick arrives. Or your need changes.

Sure, if you’re drafting at #1 or #2, draft someone to step right in at a position of need, but they also need to be rated that high.

Usually can’t go wrong with RHD or C. They are valuable commodities always.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree on BPA, so maybe frame thinking around what category of player do you think will be BPA at #17?

One interesting observation from a recent article by Pronman quoted an NHL scout indicating that the "floor" for a top goalies in the draft was probably St Louis or Winnipeg at #16 or #17. Made me think that the BPA at the Jets' pick might be one of the two top goalies.

Also, there are a few European forwards that are projected in the range of the Jets, and not so many D, even though the Jets can probably use a RD more than a forward.

Here's the section from the Pronman article...

NHL scouts’ audit

When we were doing the picks as a group, Detroit writer Max Bultman said some scouts would chastise our picks for the two top goaltenders. He was right. “No chance Wallstedt gets out of the top 15,” said one scout. “Cossa will go higher,” said a second scout.

“Both of the goaltenders are similar types of prospects to Spencer Knight and Yaroslav Askarov, who both went very high,” said a third scout.
But the feedback was not all negative on that front. “I think you have it mostly right with the goalies. Maybe I’d project them a couple spots higher. St. Louis or Winnipeg would be the floor for the second goalie,” said one NHL scout.

Reactions: JetsUK

Whileee

May 29, 2010
By the way, I would be fine with the Jets taking one of the goalies if another top player didn't slide. Hellebuyck will be looking for a huge new contract in just 3 years. Do the Jets sign him long term to a big deal at age 31? That could be a bad move. Having a stud young G like Vasilevskiy isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: RabidOne and Bob E

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm going out on a limb and voting that the Jets will select one of the goalies. I'm not sure it's the best move, but it might be a savvy move.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well the Jets do tend to go for high end forward skill a lot in the first round more often then not:

Schiefele, Perfetti, Laine, Conner, Ehlers, Roslovic, Ves*

Ves is a very big player but he was much more of a finesse player when we drafted him.

On defense we've kind of alternated between skilled puck mover (Morrissey, Heinola) and bigger physical dmen (Trouba, Stanley)

I'm guessing if Lambos and Ceulemans are on the table that is the way we go as it's the big physical dmens turn after drafting a puck mover in Heinola.

Reactions: Whileee

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I’d like Cossa to be there at our pick. And I’d like Chevy to pick him if he is.

I agree. A little forward thinking can’t hurt because the future could be pretty dark if Hellebuyck moves on and there’s no future starter in the pipeline.

Do we want to count on attracting second rate free agents to fill such an important position?

Reactions: Bob E

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It’s just that you may not know your need 3-4 years out when your draft pick arrives. Or your need changes.

Sure, if you’re drafting at #1 or #2, draft someone to step right in at a position of need, but they also need to be rated that high.

Usually can’t go wrong with RHD or C. They are valuable commodities always.

The mantra here is always BPA, always. The theory is that you then balance your roster by trade. Except when it comes to trading for what we need it is always, 'no way that player is available' and 'no way I trade that player away'.

Trading is becoming less common and harder to do in the NHL all the time. That leaves acquiring FA. You know the story there. :laugh:

So need must be a consideration at draft time. You can't draft entirely for need or BPA. I think it takes a hybrid approach, blending need and BPA.

It is very hard to predict need 3-4 years down the line but you can always be certain that need will not be for 18 LW.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Its a lot easier to trade for forwards than defencemen... I really don't want to see the Jets select a LH winger with some C potential... again.

We left a lot of good D on the board and some good Cs to pick Veslainen...

Reactions: BatVader

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I suspect they'll trade to fix the current D issue as we don't have the luxury to wait for a D&D dman, so I voted a Euro Forward. My pure speculative hunch is they're going to snag some Euro forwards.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Its a lot easier to trade for forwards than defencemen... I really don't want to see the Jets select a LH winger with some C potential... again.

We left a lot of good D on the board and some good Cs to pick Veslainen...
Not true. None of the players picked after are more proven NHLers then Ves. Right up to the Samberg pick. Maybe Jokiharju. And his career has been so-so. Hague has shown some potential but so has Samberg.

Edit: Well Robertson on Dallas had a breakout year this year so that’s about it. Picked basically a few picks before Samberg.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I suspect they'll trade to fix the current D issue as we don't have the luxury to wait for a D&D dman, so I voted a Euro Forward. My pure speculative hunch is they're going to snag some Euro forwards.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets go for a Swedish forward this year - there are a few ranked around 15-25 that look like they have quite a bit of skill. The Jets certainly haven't shied away from European forwards in the draft.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I’ve never like BPA as a drafting strategy…if the BPA is an LW and the next in line is an RHD…take the damn RHD…fill the need.
Yes BPA can work out for rebuilding teams, but for a team like us with specific needs you draft for need..either by trading down or up

But when that player is ready, 5 years down the line, the need is almost certainly not the same anymore. That’s like selling off stock when it crashes and buying when it rises, you are always a step behind and just realize your losses.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'm going out on a limb and voting that the Jets will select one of the goalies. I'm not sure it's the best move, but it might be a savvy move.
Maybe just ride The Birdman as Helle's backup a few years and hope we get Cossa, ready to push Helle upward or outward in 3 years'shes. Or entice Reimer to sign a couple years on the cheap b/up role.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
With all the uncertainty about the way the first round picks will go, it's hard to single out a player that the Jets are likely to select in Round 1. So this thread is about the category of player that the Jets will draft. The poll is for the guess / vote, and the discussion is to expand on the options.

Basically, another way of generating discussion about the draft.

I am going to be at work next week and I will grab the Black Book and dig in on the draft. After that review I will make my bold (cough cough) prediction..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00