Guess the NHL's proposal (if there is one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
If in fact the NHL is secretly working on a new proposal what do you think it would include?

I'm guessing similar to the last but a bit more lenient:

I'm guessing:

1) the 24% rollback but not so harsh on the top players. I forget I think they would lose 34%, i'm guessing they'll change that to 30% and play with the other rollback numbers.

2) similar salary cap maybe a little bit higher (35-40m range) instead of 34-38

The rest I can't remember now, so whats your thoughts on the newproposal if there is one?

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
trahans99 said:
The rest I can't remember now, so whats your thoughts on the newproposal if there is one?

I'm thinking that there isn't one. Based on the numbers that I've seen the owners give (although I realize that they are questionable). They've made fairly reasonable offers. I really think that to get any hockey this year the PA is going to have to say here's our favorite but we need x,y and z changed.

I personnally went through the dot.com crash at work and it's pretty hard to realize that the market for your job has changed and you're basically ******. You go on and get the best paying job you can which is still going to be the NHL for these guy's.

As for the owners the only way they'll but a noticably better deal on the table is as weaker franchises give up the ghost. Based on the numbers that used to be on the www.nhl.com website(but since taken down) it looked to me like the bottom half of the league would likely loss money if they used 100% of their $31 million in cap space.

How valid are the numbers??? I'll never know but comparing them to other articles such as Forbes they seem plausible.

se7en*

When are they annoucing that the season is canceled today? 3? 4? 4:30pm?

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
My understanding is that there is no plan to announce the season is cancelled, They're just going to let it slip away. The reason for doing this is that it is better for them legally should they declaire an impasse.

At leas that's what I've been reading.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
amazingcrwns said:
My understanding is that there is no plan to announce the season is cancelled, They're just going to let it slip away. The reason for doing this is that it is better for them legally should they declaire an impasse.

At leas that's what I've been reading.

Also delays the start of a Mini League that could blossom into a competitor next year.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
trahans99 said:

Since the PA couldn't even be bothered to actually consider the last deal, why should they sweeten the deal? They should go the opposite way. Lower the cap. Make bigger wage cuts. Increase the age of free agency to 32.

If the deals starting getting worse, then maybe the players will actually see the last deal was actually pretty damn good for 91% of them.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
If the NHL boys are at all rational, there will be an offer soon that strips the players of things like arbitration, while somehow compensating those players who are tied to small markets. They'll take the 24% rollback as well, and there will be no cap. You can work a system like this if you take out the ripple effect of stupid contracts that might work in one market but not another.

You'd be left with a system where any competent businessman could make money, although you wouldn't have your cap.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Since the PA couldn't even be bothered to actually consider the last deal, why should they sweeten the deal? They should go the opposite way. Lower the cap. Make bigger wage cuts. Increase the age of free agency to 32.

If the deals starting getting worse, then maybe the players will actually see the last deal was actually pretty damn good for 91% of them.
Concur.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
PecaFan said:

This is what could happen, as time goes by the deals may get worse not better, Goodenow has failed to recognize this and in the end the PA are really fighting for nothing at all! Goodenow did a great job last time, but he is failing miserably this time...

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
I think they offer the same thing they offered last time, but include some thing along the lines of:

The 5 highest paid players on any team can't earn over 42% of the teams cap, and the 15 highest paid players on any team can't earn over 82% of the teams cap.

Since we keep hearing that under a cap, the players at the bottom will suffer the most, this will ensure the top 5 players average ~$3.4 M, the top 10 players in the middle average ~1.5M, and the 8 players at the bottom earn ~$0.86M. (Assuming a 23 man roster and a $38M cap)

This will make the cap a little trickier to manage, but will give some incentive to the rank and file players to accept a cap since they have an idea where their share of it will fall.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Someone, at some point, is going to propose the deal that will get the PA in a big boatload of trouble. IF the Owners REMOVED the 24% rollback, and then phase in a cap over 3-4 years (starting high, say 65% of revenue, then decreasing by 3% of revenue a year, so 65, 62, 59, 56). THIS would make ALOT of players do a double take as to WHY the PA felt it necessary to offer a 24% pay cut.

Goodenow opened up a HUGE wedge issue, its just up to the NHL to drive that wedge in. If such an offer is made, Goodenow is, IMHO, going to be forced into taking it, or the PA is going to fall into chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad