Recalled/Assigned: Guentzel, Pouliot re-assigned to WBSPenguins

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think our fan base overrates Pouliot pretty dramatically. He will get his plying time once Tanger missed his 20 games.

I don't understand sending down Guentzel though. Wilson is just not that good. This doesn't make any sense. Maybe Fleury shared whatever dirt he has on the pens to justify the coddling for his entire career.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
Why must coaches and management instantly turn into idiots after this team wins a cup ?

Guentzel should be playing with Crosby or on the 3rd line since HMK is doing so well. Hell in all honesty it wouldn't be a bad situation for him to learn from Cullen on the 4th line at worst case. They let him sit for 3 games ? Why ? If the Penguins intentions were to send him down, do it sooner.

Why does any of that surprise me though after watching the Pens start MAF 3 games in a row who has basically the worst stats in the NHL. They can't even name Murray the starter after him winning a cup and outplaying the **** out of MAF this season.:rant:

Pouliot- His development path is becoming a train wreck, some his fault and some not. He's in a difficult situation for sure. If they were not planning to sub him in every once in awhile he should have been playing in WBS. Hopefully he gets his **** together and plays well when an injury happens.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I think our fan base overrates Pouliot pretty dramatically. He will get his plying time once Tanger missed his 20 games.

I don't understand sending down Guentzel though. Wilson is just not that good.

Amen!!!!!:yo:

Pouliot has some potential, and I certainly wouldn't mind giving Dumoulin, Daley or Maatta a break for a couple games, and subsequently dress Pouliot. However, I still don't think he's going to turn into a legit everyday NHL D-Man anytime soon. I think some people forget about his playoff struggles last year. I know he only played a couple games, but I just don't expect a ton out of him.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Think this is more about the Pens wanting to "hide" Pouliot from expansion. Also as much as I wanna see him succeed, he's not taking a spot from any of our current 6. The top 4 is more or less set in stone and Cole and Schultz are playing probably some of their best hockey ever.

Guen did damn good in his time but in the end, it's a numbers game IMO. Kunitz isn't getting benched or traded and then you have Wilson and Kuhn fighting for the 12th spot. Two guys Sullivan is more familiar with than Jakey. There's no point letting a young guy rot in the press box.

Anyway injuries happen. They'll be back.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't see this as a huge deal. Especially with Pouliot - who on earth is going to sit for him in the foreseeable future?

And Guentzel will be back. Relax.
You aren't alone.

Even with Guentzel, giving a player a cup of coffee and sending him down for a while can be very good for development. Both moves are probably better for us in the long run.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
This is about one thing, numbers.

Nothing more to see. Guentzel deserves to play based on what he showed, but at the same time there is no damage in him having proven himself an option. There will be injuries and more chances for him soon enough, and we saw that kids coming up from WBS could make an impact also in the second half of the season last year.

With Pouliot.... what do you do when our best performing D-Pair is the third pairing? Let him play games. Again, we will have injuries soon enough and that will be a chance he has to grap with both hands when it comes.

To me this is a non-issue.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Don't think this is anything majorly concerning.
The Pens go out to Florida for a weekend with 2 wins with Wilson in the lineup.
Kuhnackl is the extra F.
Guentz and Pooh get to play tons of hockey with 3 games in 3 nights for WB.
Plus whatever salary savings you get out of that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Both of these guys need to play and play a lot. So no issues for me sending both down.

Hopefully, Pouliot will be ready to take Daley's spot in the lineup next season, and Guentzel will take either Kunitz's spot (LW) or maybe Bonino's (C). Sundqvist hopefully will be ready to take Cullen's. Sprong would be in line to take someone else, too. Maybe the guy we lose in expansion, maybe Fehr, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad