Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Poitras has been knocked on his butt a few times in the NHL. These junior players need to put on some beef to stay in pro hockey. How many of these young players get their careers destroyed by bringing them up too early? The average size in the NHL is around 6'1" 200 pounds. Some of these guys are lifting weights that look like train wheels.
Fully agree with everything you said.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Good Lord, the Rangers play by play crew are difficult to listen to on TV. I didn’t think anyone could get more homerish than Farwell, but he sounded Switzerland in comparison to this crew…lol

The first intermission comparison on season series records over the last 15 years was the best - talk about grasping at straws for stories - lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Good Lord, the Rangers play by play crew are difficult to listen to on TV. I didn’t think anyone could get more homerish than Farwell, but he sounded Switzerland in comparison to this crew…lol

The first intermission comparison on season series records over the last 15 years was the best - talk about grasping at straws for stories - lol.
I think it was Sean Furfaro that put up the comparison between the teams. He is the voice of the Guelph Griffons and some other teams besides the Rangers. Those two guys in the booth do talk silly at times pumping tires of players calling them phenoms and other crazy talk. I have actually turned the volume off at times. The Storm guy can scream for penalties as loud as those two Ranger guys also. There are a few good broadcasters in the OHL that are worth listening to. I like the Soo guys and the Windsor tv guys the best. They try to stay neutral and compliment on good hockey plays both ways.

Reactions: Living Vicariously

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Wiseman, and the players know he's in over his head which doesn't help.
I think before the season is lost, a coaching change needs to be made. The team needs a severe shake up. I know it’s easy to change coaches but sometimes that’s what it takes to see improvement.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I think before the season is lost, a coaching change needs to be made. The team needs a severe shake up. I know it’s easy to change coaches but sometimes that’s what it takes to see improvement.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an upgrade at coach at this point in the season. George could be an interim option if available. The owners, whose primary goal is making money, would have to see it as added revenue for potential playoff advancement. The on ice performance isn't hurting attendance at this point.

Silver lining here is that our rookies are being played in every scenario imaginable. 7 rookies if you count Alriksson all putting up big minutes. 4 of those are 16 year-olds. That is horrific if your goal is to go far this year, but one would hope that the future development looks good if a coaching change happens in the off season.

G0Otters

Feb 21, 2022
Coming to game on Friday from Erie. First time in Guelph. Any information you can pass along about coming to the game? Parking, what time do doors open, do concessions take credit card?

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Coming to game on Friday from Erie. First time in Guelph. Any information you can pass along about coming to the game? Parking, what time do doors open, do concessions take credit card?

Welcome!! If you don't mind walking a bit you can find free parking on side streets. Either along Oxford, Dublin, parallel right downtown, or across the river. There is also a parkade - it gets busy leaving so if mobility isn't a concern I'd recommend parking and walking a bit. Showing a Storm ticket also gets you free transit by bus, so that's also an option.

Concessions do take credit card. Lots of great places to eat beforehand, some may have a bit of a wait as it's Friday night so plan accordingly.

In terms of doors, I'm trying to think of how early I've been.... I am thinking an hour before game time but don't quote me.

G0Otters

Feb 21, 2022
Welcome!! If you don't mind walking a bit you can find free parking on side streets. Either along Oxford, Dublin, parallel right downtown, or across the river. There is also a parkade - it gets busy leaving so if mobility isn't a concern I'd recommend parking and walking a bit. Showing a Storm ticket also gets you free transit by bus, so that's also an option.

Concessions do take credit card. Lots of great places to eat beforehand, some may have a bit of a wait as it's Friday night so plan accordingly.

In terms of doors, I'm trying to think of how early I've been.... I am thinking an hour before game time but don't quote me.
Thank you!

Reactions: StormWatcher

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I think it was Sean Furfaro that put up the comparison between the teams. He is the voice of the Guelph Griffons and some other teams besides the Rangers. Those two guys in the booth do talk silly at times pumping tires of players calling them phenoms and other crazy talk. I have actually turned the volume off at times. The Storm guy can scream for penalties as loud as those two Ranger guys also. There are a few good broadcasters in the OHL that are worth listening to. I like the Soo guys and the Windsor tv guys the best. They try to stay neutral and compliment on good hockey plays both ways.
Listened to Peterborough announcers on Thursday and they were stellar. Completely non-biased.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
This team is not going to make the playoffs or get in by the skin of their teeth. I don’t see any system being followed. They look so disorganized out there.

They put in another stinker against Sudbury.

Reactions: Living Vicariously

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
In the post game interview Wiseman blames everyone but the coaches for this farce of a game. WRONG! Look in the mirror- if you do nothing as a coach to correct errors this is the result.
Players have to self correct or it will be another lost season- expect nothing from Wiseman, he's done!

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I am not a storm fan (go spits go) but i have family in guelph so follow the storm closely. How on earth does Wiseman have a job today. I am shocked he had made it this far but that game I was certain was the tipping point.
There’s quite a number of fans are hoping it was a tipping point. Interesting that he decided to blame everyone but himself in an interview last night according to TrueBlue. Sounds about par - suspect he throws a lot of people under the bus rather than looking inward. George needs to have a closer look and I’m surprised if he isn’t seeing the problem. It would be good if we see someone else behind the bench next weekend.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Regardless of the outcome tonight...

Refs have been horrid, but that's not why I'm here.

Your kids stood for the cancer appreciation before everyone else AND also did the same when we honor a veteran in the middle of the 2nd period. You'd think this would be a no brainer, but some teams come in and just sit or don't even pay attention. In my eyes it shows so much class for the organization, regardless of play on the ice.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
What’s the prediction for tonight against London. I’d like to see a win but my gut tells me we will be going home sad.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Guelph is an interesting team. They are stumbling a bit in the standings going 2-6-2 in their last 10, but looking at those games they have been competitive in all of them. Worst losses were a couple of 3 goal losses but those both included an empty netter. I think Guelph might be an easy team to underestimate at this point in the season.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Guelph is an interesting team. They are stumbling a bit in the standings going 2-6-2 in their last 10, but looking at those games they have been competitive in all of them. Worst losses were a couple of 3 goal losses but those both included an empty netter. I think Guelph might be an easy team to underestimate at this point in the season.
Impressive effort against Saginaw, worked hard, McGuire was running over players, and Budnick (SP?) with two fearless shot blocks. Just didn't generate much offensively at even strength. Knights will need to be on their game tonight.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Between the Saginaw near miss and the impressive perseverance shown last night against London, I'm hoping we are seeing an upward trend that could lead to some momentum going into the playoffs. This weekend will be a big test. Actually, the rest of the games of the regular season will be no picnic.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Deep respect for the Storm organization. I sure miss Steve Fitzsimmons on the telecast. Hard to criticize volunteers or low paid individuals but you have to watch Storm home games on mute these days.

Reactions: HolyRoller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad