Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Still dreaming of the F/D combo, especially with Poitras gone and Gillespie playing so well... I still think we should go all in.

Two possibilities that I think we have the resources to make happen, and that would set us up well would be trades with KIT or NB, still loving the NB option and after their start, I'm now sold on the KIT option too.

Namestnikov/Wakely/Bowman
Alriksson/Luchanko/Paquette
DeZoete/Karabela/Serlin
McKenzie/McGuire/Snelgrove - McFadden - Grndner

Buchinger/Allen
Hislop/Nelson
Sandhu/Romeo
Topp
(Singh in Ayr)

OR

Nemstnikov/Rehkopf/Bowman top line and Hislop/Brz top pair with Buchinger/Allen as 1B.

If these options are available, I'd choose this over a big pay for Beck.
Only option I'd like better is if OS become sellers........ though I can't see that happening and I do really want to see a Top D added as a first priority even if it's not a multi-player from the same team deal.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Still dreaming of the F/D combo, especially with Poitras gone and Gillespie playing so well... I still think we should go all in.

Two possibilities that I think we have the resources to make happen, and that would set us up well would be trades with KIT or NB, still loving the NB option and after their start, I'm now sold on the KIT option too.

DeZoete/Karabela/Serlin

Buchinger/Allen
Hislop/Nelson
Sandhu/Romeo
Topp
(Singh in Ayr)

OR

Nemstnikov/Rehkopf/Bowman top line and Hislop/Brz top pair with Buchinger/Allen as 1B.

Only option I'd like better is if OS become sellers........ though I can't see that happening and I do really want to see a Top D added as a first priority even if it's not a multi-player from the same team deal.
I think the biggest question mark for Guelph was in net going into the season and all signs point to being very well set at the position with Gillespie looking fantastic so far. The D group will get a boost when Allen is ready to return. Even without Poitras they look to be in a very good position to buy. If they can add another weapon or two at forward they would be a very formidable opponent.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I think the biggest question mark for Guelph was in net going into the season and all signs point to being very well set at the position with Gillespie looking fantastic so far. The D group will get a boost when Allen is ready to return. Even without Poitras they look to be in a very good position to buy. If they can add another weapon or two at forward they would be a very formidable opponent.

I hope when Allen returns he is in good form, that's one reason I'd prioritize defense. Gillespie has had to make some huge saves after being hung out to dry, Buchinger is carrying too much of the load.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

DeZoete/Karabela/Serlin

Buchinger/Allen
Hislop/Nelson
Sandhu/Romeo
Topp
(Singh in Ayr)

OR

The price for ‘05 Rehkopf and ‘04 Brzustewicz is rising every game.

Guelph has 5x2nds and 6x3rds in the bank.

For me, a deal where both these players go to Guelph would clean out most if not all those picks plus Beauchesne. Especially when you consider Rehkropf will be back next year.

Not sure we’d see that happen. I’m thinking if Kitchener deals both these guys this year, they’d have to go in separate deals.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
With Poitras not back for now, I still think he will be back in January after the world juniors.
In the meantime I would only look to add his replacement sooner rather than later if possible should he not return.
If he returns along with Allen we are set to go all in at the deadline.
Our goaltending and defense has been beyond expectations to date.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
With Poitras not back for now, I still think he will be back in January after the world juniors.
In the meantime I would only look to add his replacement sooner rather than later if possible should he not return.
If he returns along with Allen we are set to go all in at the deadline.
Our goaltending and defense has been beyond expectations to date.
I think they will make their decision on what to do with the mindset that he is not back at all, if your prediction is correct then it's icing.

Reactions: EvenSteven

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Guelph needs to start getting pucks through early in the game. Their shot count has been far too low for several games. Walker used to say 15 shots per period... come on guys.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Ugly win. They can't expect Gillespie to bail them out each night with less that 20 shots on goal. There are no elite playmakers available to replace Poitras, they simply aren't there. Luchanko is stepping up... for the love of god keep him with Namestnikov and Bowman... then work on your 1B and shoring up this defense. Buchinger can't play 60 minutes a game and I'm not sold on Allen being the solution until he shows me he's rookie Allen and not the Allen of last season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Great come back by the Storm. I thought they Storm did a great job in OT. Killed off a penalty and your goalie was stellar. The Storm proved that in the OHL no lead is safe. Good job.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
I don't believe the numbers indicate we have an issue with our defense. No other Team has 2 goals against per game and a 90% pk.
May not have enough to go all in but without Poitras that may not be an option. Step 1 is replace Poitras as soon as possible and see where we sit at the trade deadline.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I don't believe the numbers indicate we have an issue with our defense. No other Team has 2 goals against per game and a 90% pk.
May not have enough to go all in but without Poitras that may not be an option. Step 1 is replace Poitras as soon as possible and see where we sit at the trade deadline.
Our PK is great, definitely. I think we're relying too heavily on Gillespie to bail us out. They allowed 41 shots on goal last night. Most nights you lose that game.

I think Luchanko is stepping up into the 1C role well. But we do need a top 6 forward to have a 1A and 1B if we're going to contend.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
That's just such a massive loss. Hands down would have been the best player in the league this year and was my personal pick for scoring leader. Not sure you can simply replace a player of Poitras caliber without going all in? May take several more pieces being added to do that.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
To whomever was asking about Hunter McKnight a while back, looks like he's playing for the Renfrew Wolves of the CCHL this season.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Slavik has only allowed 2 goals in his 2 games.
I am still holding out hope for Poitras returning in January. Bruins have not ruled that out.
I predict he gets sent back in Dylan guenther/Leon draisaitl fashion. After a good stint with good numbers but sending him back just for more confidence.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Hard to win with less than 20 shots per game. Lots of pressure on the defense and goaltending with no room for error. Escaped with the win Wednesday but couldn't hang on in the 3rd the last 2 games.

Reactions: StormWatcher

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Slavik has only allowed 2 goals in his 2 games.
I am still holding out hope for Poitras returning in January. Bruins have not ruled that out.
Poitras a goal and one helper last night. Kid is making a case for himself. One of the better Bruin players since arriving on the scene. I knew he was a skilled player. Just never thought he was NHL caliber at this point in time. If the Storm get him back it will be huge for the franchise.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1