Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
You know that the current coaching and management weren’t here when Fabbri and Bertuzzi were here, right?
You know that the current coaching and management weren’t here when Fabbri and Bertuzzi were here, right?
same stubborn ownership.... same virus too apparently..

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
TOTAL (62 GP)
battfan88817
RCS41
Stormfan8738
TrueBlueStorm37
Stormdude41
StorminNorman41
geo10531
noobie111
Chico Maki45
Stormforthewin21
StormWatcher38
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
For most of the night the Storm played ok considering they only had 3 lines dressed.
They got out of the 2nd period up 2-1 thanks to a mistake by Raaymakers.
Third period however was all London.
Personally I was shocked that the Storm held them without a goal for as long as they did.
Shoemaker takes a high sticking penalty with just under 5 mins to go and Hunter pulls the goalie for a 6 on 4. Storm nearly get all the way through it but can barely touch the puck before the Knights get a faceoff take a timeout and 3 seconds later Bocuhard scores to tie it.
A minute after that a Bouchard shot gets tipped and it's 3-2.
Storm try pulling Poppy with within 10 freaking seconds it's in the net 4-2.
Knights get another empty netter where Merkley basically let Foudy score because he couldn't be bothered trying to catch up or dive or anything. Game was over i get it but man at least pretend like you care.

I know I know short lineup but man that one hurts. Knights get 4 goals in the final 3 minutes all started when they pulled the goalie.
Whenever we try to pull the goalie we turn it over within seconds and that's it.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Popovich deserved a better fate tonight. He always plays very well against London.
And London did have the PP while they had the goalie pulled. That certainly helps.

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
For most of the night the Storm played ok considering they only had 3 lines dressed.
They got out of the 2nd period up 2-1 thanks to a mistake by Raaymakers.
Third period however was all London.
Personally I was shocked that the Storm held them without a goal for as long as they did.
Shoemaker takes a high sticking penalty with just under 5 mins to go and Hunter pulls the goalie for a 6 on 4. Storm nearly get all the way through it but can barely touch the puck before the Knights get a faceoff take a timeout and 3 seconds later Bocuhard scores to tie it.
A minute after that a Bouchard shot gets tipped and it's 3-2.
Storm try pulling Poppy with within 10 freaking seconds it's in the net 4-2.
Knights get another empty netter where Merkley basically let Foudy score because he couldn't be bothered trying to catch up or dive or anything. Game was over i get it but man at least pretend like you care.

I know I know short lineup but man that one hurts. Knights get 4 goals in the final 3 minutes all started when they pulled the goalie.
Whenever we try to pull the goalie we turn it over within seconds and that's it.
Without putting TOO much criticism on him #6 coasting back has been an ongoing problem since he first came to the OHL. Unfortunate because at training camp in Guelph he was head and shoulders above any player on the ice. IMO I think when he matures he will be better. He is only 17.

Bruins10

Mar 31, 2016
In this year's OHL draft I am hoping that the content of a young man's character is going to be considered almost as importantly as his hockey skill set. In drafting Ryan Merkley, the powers that be apparently overlooked this aspect of his make up. His sense of entitlement didn't just happen the moment he stepped on the Sleeman Centre ice. It had been allowed to develop at a much earlier age. One would think that his slide down the draft board would have opened Ryan's eyes to the fact that his character is being evaluated as much as his hockey abilities and that he is being found wanting in that regard. Has he become a pariah in the dressing room? Coaches and management would have the answer to this. If that is indeed the case then perhaps it is time to consider shopping him in the off season.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

Is it just me, or has this org always struggled to ice a full team? I mean they have plenty of players under contract and in the system and I can't imagine it's a player card issue....so why always a short lineup? It's one thing to dress one short on occasion due to last minute sickness/injury etc. but it feels like every year this team has a F or two that need to slide back to D when there aren't enough bodies, or handful of games where they're literally dressing 3+ fewer players than they should be.

Is this common with all teams and I'm just a victim of my own confirmation bias?

It sure feels like sub-optimal lineup construction/management.

In this year's OHL draft I am hoping that the content of a young man's character is going to be considered almost as importantly as his hockey skill set. In drafting Ryan Merkley, the powers that be apparently overlooked this aspect of his make up. His sense of entitlement didn't just happen the moment he stepped on the Sleeman Centre ice. It had been allowed to develop at a much earlier age. One would think that his slide down the draft board would have opened Ryan's eyes to the fact that his character is being evaluated as much as his hockey abilities and that he is being found wanting in that regard. Has he become a pariah in the dressing room? Coaches and management would have the answer to this. If that is indeed the case then perhaps it is time to consider shopping him in the off season.

I don't disagree with much of what you wrote, but if all of that negative stuff is true, why would any other team give up something of value for a known problem?

I mean if the positives he brings here don't outweigh the negatives, and when that and worse is whispered throughout the league's teams, players, fans and management staffs, why would any team in their right mind trade for him?

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
As I went to get a coffee at Scotia Bank Pond and saw #6 standing in the lobby with his JrC toque on, at first glance I could tell his character (hence the Akil Thomas choice). One of the problems is these scouting and prospect services build these players up as if they are the second coming. It would be interesting to see what he could bring on the market in the off season. I'm sure that one of the 70% club teams would take him.

A lot of these issues could have and should have been dealt with last year in his rookie season, sitting him out a game or two. It would not have been as much of a big deal in his first year adjusting to the league on a rebuilding team but GMMK would not hear of it. The parents and agents would have been calling and making a big stink, but it would have been a good time to get it all out of the way then. When he was taken off the pp one week in practice "It was like having his favourite TOY taken away from him".

The team used to have a "Head Deflater"and it was used when NHL drafted players would return one by one from their respected NHL camps. It would be inserted into one of the players ears and their heads were deflated. This should have been used on day one with #6. I'm sure that Rusty has his helmet adjusted to the max just so that he can put his helmet on.

Spoke to Kris Draper last Sunday and two scouts on Tuesday night in Kitchener, and his character is already known throughout the NHL. They could see him falling to the 3rd round (ie Sean Day) before a team takes a chance on him.

Last edited:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I don't know why Kris Draper would confide in you as to his and his org's opinion on a player, but I guess it's believable.

And can you skip the DeAngelo comparison please? While Merkely might be arrogant and egotistical, I'm not sure he's homophobic or racist as DeAngelo has been found to be (he's been suspended for these things by league/team). You suggesting such is out of line.

But continue the character assassination of a 17 year old hockey player, who I would bet none of you know personally. Don't let me get in the way.

Reactions: BarDownskie

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
teams not called the Guelph Merkleys.... still see him as a plus+ forward down the road... not a D...right now he's an enigma .. how do you build around a 50/50 enigma with huge attitude..I do hope best for him though ..as a center say;...with a big strong mobile rebuilt D behind him..to cover for his teething issues..next years D will be CRUCIAL..

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Yes he is just 17 and it would be fantastic if he could do a 180 and change his ways. Maybe George is the one that can help him out as he has been in the league a long time. We can all see the skating, skill and vision that he has. I just see the leapord and spots saying coming into play here.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
IMHO Merkley is not going to change his attitude and effort level until after the draft this summer. I can see him dropping to late second/ third round which hopefully will be a wake up call to him, his agent and his parents. Then when he goes to his first NHL camp he will really get 'tuned in' to the requirements of a pro hockey player. Nothing is given, you have to earn everything. He will be told what he needs to do to improve as a hockey player and gets sent back with a new approach to the game. If he still doesn't get it his NHL team will be on him, or drop him like a bad habit. Hopefully he gets it, and next year is the 180 Chico talks about.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Yes he only 17, but we have seen many 17 year old players come into the league with the attitude that hard work, dedication, team work, team play, unselfish attitude and the will to do whatever is needed goes a lot further than talent alone. Talent is a necessary part of any player's tool kit, but hard work and dedication can trump talent on many occasions. How many first round picks in the NHL draft never play a game and picks from later rounds have long and productive careers. If Merkley had half the heart of either Kirwan or Ralph what could he accomplish? I truly hope he can turn things around for his sake and also the team's. Merkley on the back of his jersey, Storm on the front, which is more important? I know.

Reactions: storm surge

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
Here are my fearless predictions for this weekend:

Fri. March 9
Guelph - 4
Saginaw - 3
GWG - Ralph

Sat. March 10
Sarnia - 6
Guelph - 2
GWG - Ruzicka

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Tonights result determines if I bother buying playoff tickets or not. I'm not really interested in paying to see the boys get bounced by the Soo and with the season ticket cost going up I may as well save the money and put it towards next year.
Merkley will learn real fast when he's a third round pick getting tossed around at NHL camp.. the only hope I have is that a quality organization gets his rights and puts him on the right path.

Ratcliffe is a potential 50 goal scorer next year, he's developed into a real 'meat and potatoes' type of player. It's been very fun watching him play for Guelph and he gets my vote for the C next year.

Reactions: storm surge

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Tonights result determines if I bother buying playoff tickets or not. I'm not really interested in paying to see the boys get bounced by the Soo and with the season ticket cost going up I may as well save the money and put it towards next year.
Merkley will learn real fast when he's a third round pick getting tossed around at NHL camp.. the only hope I have is that a quality organization gets his rights and puts him on the right path.

Ratcliffe is a potential 50 goal scorer next year, he's developed into a real 'meat and potatoes' type of player. It's been very fun watching him play for Guelph and he gets my vote for the C next year.
Let's be real, you're buying tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad