Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
iz zat it?..this team looks good up front.. but has huge issues in the back..??????

The team is 8/10 in G/Gm in their conference, and approx 13/20 overall.

In last 10 GP, avg is 2.8 G/gm ---> Admittedly, this was a tough stretch of games.

They have since traded one of their best scorers.

Their highest scoring forward is 52nd in the OHL.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
The team is 8/10 in G/Gm in their conference, and approx 13/20 overall.

In last 10 GP, avg is 2.8 G/gm ---> Admittedly, this was a tough stretch of games.

They have since traded one of their best scorers.

Their highest scoring forward is 52nd in the OHL.
move 50/50 merk to forward.. build D with youth ...size..can't believe how stubborn this mgmt. is.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Good idea.

How would you go about building the back end through youth and size, given their current assets and position?
OR they can go on using a guy who is great and horrible all at the same time..he's not a D.... that's why I call him 50/50.. a great talent wasted.. move him up .. then build a real balanced D..he could be the greatest +/- forward in Guelph scoring history,...n..too much chaos now.. everyone on the ice with him is on thin +/- ice.the idea ...is to score MORE than have scored against us..he'd maybe be effective coming back to support D... but more times than not I see ...turnovers.. and 3 0n ones which leave his team mates scrambling to figure him out and cover ...too late.. no better time to start the fix than now..

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
OR they can go on using a guy who is great and horrible all at the same time..he's not a D.... that's why I call him 50/50.. a great talent wasted.. move him up .. then build a real balanced D..he could be the greatest +/- forward in Guelph scoring history,...n..too much chaos now.. everyone on the ice with him is on thin +/- ice.the idea ...is to score MORE than have scored against us..he'd maybe be effective coming back to support D... but more times than not I see ...turnovers.. and 3 0n ones which leave his team mates scrambling to figure him out and cover ...too late.. no better time to start the fix than now..

I believe the question was, how would you improve the D? How would you build on that youth... we get your position that Merkley should be a forward.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I believe the question was, how would you improve the D? How would you build on that youth... we get your position that Merkley should be a forward.
my suggestion is that first...you cannot build on a foundation that is leaking ..even as its pumped out..there're are a few D in reserve that are better defensively . not huge but fast .. solid D's..till you score a great pick or trade ..this year is total foundation work..

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Thanks, Watcher. At first, I didn't know if that response was even for me!

my suggestion is that first...you cannot build on a foundation that is leaking ..even as its pumped out..there're are a few D in reserve that are better defensively . not huge but fast .. solid D's..till you score a great pick or trade ..this year is total foundation work..

I still don't see how moving him to F and promoting Aguanno or someone makes this team any better?

Plus, seeing what good young players are going for these days, you'd have to give up a huge amount of picks to get a couple of build around pieces on the back end - I mean, if you think Merkley is bad, then this team has 0 build around D. That doesn't even begin to address the problems at forward. Even in your ideal world where Merkley moves to F, (after playing D all these years) he'll need a lot of time to adjust to the different role.

I just don't think your plan is feasible, and I've been a proponent of this team needing an experienced 1D partner for Merkley for some time.

If you objectively look at this team, I think you will see that there are many issues in addition to Merkley. That's all I have been saying the whole time. As much as you might not like it, I think #6 will be a big part of this team for the next year or two - whether good times, or bad.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
iz zat it?..this team looks good up front.. but has huge issues in the back..??????

Samurokov, Merkley, Lalonde, Wooley, plenty of picks...I see a group of promising young D, not huge issues. Draft one D, acquire one ‘99 or ‘98 (stay at home) D preseason - all set.

Reactions: StormWatcher

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
scary thing is team has now on D #1 and #2 overall picks 2016 OHL draft and totally up in air if either is top end D man at this level

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
scary thing is team has now on D #1 and #2 overall picks 2016 OHL draft and totally up in air if either is top end D man at this level

There are 19 teams drooling over the thought of an 18 & 19 yr old Merkley - 5 on 5, PP, or 3 on 3 OT. He’s a D; huge exceptions aside, (Eckblad/Chychrun), they don’t dominate both ends at 17.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

markley will be an nhl 1st round pick, he may already lead the ohl in defenceman scoring at 17, im not sure whats up in the air.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Thanks, Watcher. At first, I didn't know if that response was even for me!

I still don't see how moving him to F and promoting Aguanno or someone makes this team any better?

Plus, seeing what good young players are going for these days, you'd have to give up a huge amount of picks to get a couple of build around pieces on the back end - I mean, if you think Merkley is bad, then this team has 0 build around D. That doesn't even begin to address the problems at forward. Even in your ideal world where Merkley moves to F, (after playing D all these years) he'll need a lot of time to adjust to the different role.

I just don't think your plan is feasible, and I've been a proponent of this team needing an experienced 1D partner for Merkley for some time.

If you objectively look at this team, I think you will see that there are many issues in addition to Merkley. That's all I have been saying the whole time. As much as you might not like it, I think #6 will be a big part of this team for the next year or two - whether good times, or bad.
moving him up ...stops the bleeding...I don't agree per 1st rd pick as present game shows.. his final game in midget spoke volumes to me ...6-0 marlies ... no goals ... couldn't stop anything.... great talent ... squandered.... seems I'm pissng in the wind here..hava great day folks..

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
I don't think the answer to Merkley is moving him to forward- the answer IMHO is try to teach him to be a 2 way defenceman. As others have noted, he is gifted offensively but can be a lazy defender at times and floats back after rushes. As a result, he is dropping like a rock on 2018 draft prospect lists- at this point I think he will be lucky to be a second round pick. Maybe this will be the wake up call he needs to take the defensive side seriously and commit to being a better defenceman.

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I don't think the answer to Merkley is moving him to forward- the answer IMHO is try to teach him to be a 2 way defenceman. As others have noted, he is gifted offensively but can be a lazy defender at times and floats back after rushes. As a result, he is dropping like a rock on 2018 draft prospect lists- at this point I think he will be lucky to be a second round pick. Maybe this will be the wake up call he needs to take the defensive side seriously and commit to being a better defenceman.
don't think he has the parts to be a defender... as it is he's divided tween 2 roles. A house divided as they say... and half the time his mates don't have a clue what he's doing. Like I once said .... the sight of him coming up ice with 2 strong savy d behind him is terrifying.... anyway ..I agree ..his draft stats are falling... wish yu well Merk..

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
don't think he has the parts to be a defender... as it is he's divided tween 2 roles. A house divided as they say... and half the time his mates don't have a clue what he's doing. Like I once said .... the sight of him coming up ice with 2 strong savy d behind him is terrifying.... anyway ..I agree ..his draft stats are falling... wish yu well Merk..

as long as he is on the ice for more goals for then against, thats really all that matters. ive seen you guys play a few times, cam hillis is very good defensively and hes a -10, plus minus is an awful way to judge defensive abilities, especially if your team is -20 in goals for/against differential.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
as long as he is on the ice for more goals for then against, thats really all that matters. ive seen you guys play a few times, cam hillis is very good defensively and hes a -10, plus minus is an awful way to judge defensive abilities, especially if your team is -20 in goals for/against differential.
check who's on ice during goals against with these guys... a major drain in that dept.. wears number 6..too much time wasted trying to cover his butt.. cha cha.. good nic name . a one step forward .. and a two steps back..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad