Olympics: Groups are set

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don’t see Denmark making any noise tbh.

The only team we match up against playwise are the Czechs.

We have played well against the Russians aswell, but don’t see it happening at an OG.

Never played well against the Swiss for some reason.

Might get an OT W/L, that’s about it.

And Denmark have begun a slow decline, so it’s now or never.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
i think iihf rankings should have 2 different ranknings, one for wc and one of best on best. wc and best on best should not get mixed.

2014 sweden took silver, and 2016 we took bronze. sweden is a top 3 nations if we count last best on best, a nation like that not having a direct spot to a best on best is a big joke.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
i think iihf rankings should have 2 different ranknings, one for wc and one of best on best. wc and best on best should not get mixed.

2014 sweden took silver, and 2016 we took bronze. sweden is a top 3 nations if we count last best on best, a nation like that not having a direct spot to a best on best is a big joke.
Man you sure change your opinion quicker than Mats Wennerholm one period into the season opener

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Man you sure change your opinion quicker than Mats Wennerholm one period into the season opener

i really hate that guy. i dont like nyström, anrell and ros either.

the best "expert" we have right now is probaly sanny lindström

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU

Schizophrenia. Most days they almost accept the reality but then they fall back and can't cope that it's 2021 and swedes are ranked as they are.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Schizophrenia. Most days they almost accept the reality but then they fall back and can't cope that it's 2021 and swedes are ranked as they are.

what does wc have to do with best on best? sweden did good in last 2 best on best, better than finland did.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
The last tournament that really was a best-on-best and everyone had a chance to qualify was 7 years ago. And the one before that was the tournament where the swedish all-star team lost to belarus...

The IIHF rankings do not reflect back to those days - see below ** - and/but recently swedes have performed so poorly that their ranking is #7 at the moment. Don't whine and just admit it.

Improving that ranking next year is expected by almost everyone - just needs to be done.

** 2018 (both World Championship and Olympics at 25% each), 2019 at 50%, 2021 at 100%.
SwedenGermany
WHC 2018300230
Olympics 2018265290
WHC 2019530520
WHC 2020825765
WHC 20219601100
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
China does have some chance of getting a couple upsets here. In there, the coaches have ways to motivate the players their Western peers can only dream of.. and the physical management is top notch, there will not be fitter players on any team. I would not be surprised to see them take down GER and maybe stall one more match to a draw.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
China does have some chance of getting a couple upsets here. In there, the coaches have ways to motivate the players their Western peers can only dream of.. and the physical management is top notch, there will not be fitter players on any team. I would not be surprised to see them take down GER and maybe stall one more match to a draw.

Only way China wins even one game is if they "Space Jam" it up.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The last tournament that really was a best-on-best and everyone had a chance to qualify was 7 years ago. And the one before that was the tournament where the swedish all-star team lost to belarus...

The IIHF rankings do not reflect back to those days - see below ** - and/but recently swedes have performed so poorly that their ranking is #7 at the moment. Don't whine and just admit it.

Improving that ranking next year is expected by almost everyone - just needs to be done.

** 2018 (both World Championship and Olympics at 25% each), 2019 at 50%, 2021 at 100%.
SwedenGermany
WHC 2018300230
Olympics 2018265290
WHC 2019530520
WHC 2020825765
WHC 20219601100
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

what on earth are u talking about? how was og 2014, og 2010, og 2006 and world cup 2004 not best on best?

Reactions: THE JAM

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
This is a joke right? The fact that they are seriously considering letting China play there is absolutely ridiculous and disrespectful towards countries like Belarus or Norway

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This is a joke right? The fact that they are seriously considering letting China play there is absolutely ridiculous and disrespectful towards countries like Belarus or Norway

if china sends a team full with khlers, its better than norway

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
what on earth are u talking about? how was og 2014, og 2010, og 2006 and world cup 2004 not best on best?

Is that a surprise to you how many and how recent years IIHF rankings do count? I'm sure that SWE all-star team losing to BLR in the Olympics is off the records now.. - be happy about that ;)

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Is that a surprise to you how many and how recent years IIHF rankings do count? I'm sure that SWE all-star team losing to BLR in the Olympics is off the records now.. - be happy about that ;)

finland lost to sweden in world cup 1996, og 2006, og 2010, og 2014, world cup 2016, og 2018. im very happy about that.

if finland loses to sweden in og 2022, im looking forward to your excuses

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Group AGroup BGroup C

• 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
    Canada
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
    United States
  • 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
    Germany
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
    China
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Predications?

A:

1: Canada
2: USA
3: Germany
4: China

B:

1: Russia
2: Czech
3: Switzerland
4: Denmark

C:

1: Finland
2: Slovakia
3: Latvia
4: Sweden

Yes i think Sweden will lose all 3 games. Garpenlöv is shit coach.

I just read that China might be excluded. China face possible exclusion from the ice hockey tournament at next year's Beijing Winter Olympics in spite of being hosts because of their "insufficient sporting standard". Decision will be made in october. The norwegian hockey president Tage Pettersen was oriented about this on the IIHF conference in St. Petersburg this weekend.

If IIHF decide to exclude China, Norway will replace them in group A:

Source:

Hosts China face possible exclusion from Olympic ice hockey - France 24

Norge kan likevel få OL-plass i ishockey – Kinas herrelag risikerer utkastelse fra egen turnering – VG Nå: Sportsdøgnet

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I just read that China might be excluded. China face possible exclusion from the ice hockey tournament at next year's Beijing Winter Olympics in spite of being hosts because of their "insufficient sporting standard". Decision will be made in october. The norwegian hockey president Tage Pettersen was oriented about this on the IIHF conference in St. Petersburg this weekend.

If IIHF decide to exclude China, Norway will replace them in group A:

Source:

Hosts China face possible exclusion from Olympic ice hockey - France 24

Norge kan likevel få OL-plass i ishockey – Kinas herrelag risikerer utkastelse fra egen turnering – VG Nå: Sportsdøgnet

Yeah well, as I suspect Canada and the US is less likely to start to hold back when they are up 10 goals on Norway, than they would against the host nation, I don't know if this will give better numbers.

As a Norwegian, I was kind of relieved when the team didn't make it. To be honest. o_O

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
As a Canadian, I hope Canada loses to the U.S. in Round Robin. That would light a fire under the boys.
I wouldn’t mind that honestly. I feel if Canada and the USA play twice each team will win a game. I know which one I’d want to win.

Eichel’s health is a HUGE caveat. If he’s not good to go than the Americans’ 2C is likely Larkin, who wouldn’t even make Canada. That causes a huge matchup nightmare when Canada can put its shut down line on Matthews and then just use Mack/McDavid/whoever to feast on Larkin and co.

Another wildcard is Canadian goaltending. It doesn’t look pretty compared to what some of the other countries can offer.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I wouldn’t mind that honestly. I feel if Canada and the USA play twice each team will win a game. I know which one I’d want to win.

Eichel’s health is a HUGE caveat. If he’s not good to go than the Americans’ 2C is likely Larkin, who wouldn’t even make Canada. That causes a huge matchup nightmare when Canada can put its shut down line on Matthews and then just use Mack/McDavid/whoever to feast on Larkin and co.

Another wildcard is Canadian goaltending. It doesn’t look pretty compared to what some of the other countries can offer.
I definitely would mind. Having to face one of the Russians, Swedes or Finns in the quarter finals is not a situation we should put ourselves in.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
finland lost to sweden in world cup 1996, og 2006, og 2010, og 2014, world cup 2016, og 2018. im very happy about that.

if finland loses to sweden in og 2022, im looking forward to your excuses

If Finland is going to win some tournament, they have to lose at least one game. Its allways been that way. Not that we win very often but still. And yes, Im a bit superstitious about that. But I would gladly give Sweden another win, as long as Finland wins the meaningful games. And that loss better be at overtime so its not so bad considering the rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00