GDT: Group S • May 9 • Norway 6, Italy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
If it would be german version then it would be redlich or something like that. For example one of our players Darzins is 100 % Latvian because its translates to- Garden or gardner or more precisely "from the garden"

Great idea:
Redlich means honest in German; "Redelig" in Danish!

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
LOL....so is the REED-lis or Reed-LIS (where is the pressure or you don't even agree on that, maybe dialectical differences) -> i guess its a long e sound, right?

The pressure is definitely on the first syllable, but the whole pronunciation confusion comes from the RED part. It's actually spelled Rēdlihs, and the accented "ē" in Latvian is the only letter which can have a varied pronunciation. So when spelled phonetically in English, it could be either Red-lis, or Rad-lis. And yeah, It's most likely adapted from German. Many Latvians took on Germanic last names to avoid persecution way back in the day. Mine is no different.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah we are probably onto something here :laugh:

Since in Danish "Redelig" is used especially as honest in financial circumstances, or you are a non-gossippy type (trustworthy with secrets) it's maybe not to bad to have some Redlihs on your team ;)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The pressure is definitely on the first syllable, but the whole pronunciation confusion comes from the RED part. It's actually spelled Rēdlihs, and the accented "ē" in Latvian is the only letter which can have a varied pronunciation. So when spelled phonetically in English, it could be either Red-lis, or Rad-lis.

If it has german origin it might explain the latvian confusion on how to pronounce!

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Since in Danish "Redelig" is used especially as honest in financial circumstances, or you are a non-gossippy type (trustworthy with secrets) it's maybe not to bad to have some Redlihs on your team ;)

Oh yeah hes a great off-ice too,so yeah hes last name is fitting for him

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Oh yeah hes a great off-ice too,so yeah hes last name is fitting for him

I have always been fascinated with people who live up to their name.
A volcanologist named "Chimney" a spider expert named "Web". A gynocologist named Harry Beaver...the american will love that one :laugh:
and my absolute favourite" Angelo della Morte (angel-of-death), sadly i couldn't find out of he was an undertaker. :D

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I have always been fascinated with people who live up to their name.
A volcanologist named "Chimney" a spider expert named "Web". A gynocologist named Harry Beaver...the american will love that one :laugh:
and my absolute favourite" Angelo della Morte (angel-of-death), sadly i couldn't find out of he was an undertaker. :D

The guy named Chimney is hilarious for some reason to me :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The guy named Chimney is hilarious for some reason to me :laugh:

The surname Sand is very commen in Denmark......had a geologist friend (sedimentologist even) with that name. He was 2 minutes in the church from being named Anders Sand by his parents (until they sudddenly realized it), which when you say it fast becomes "Anders And" - the danish name for Donald Duck! :laugh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
The surname Sand is very commen in Denmark......had a geologist friend (sedimentologist even) with that name. He was 2 minutes in the church from being named Anders Sand by his parents (until they sudddenly realized it), which when you say it fast becomes "Anders And" - the danish name for Donald Duck! :laugh:

I think this conversation has come as far off-topic as it can get in an hockey forum :laugh: amazing :laugh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah :laugh:...
so going back to topic. Latvia-Denmark-Germany-Norway who takes the QF and do the Czech fail?

Ofcourse i hope for Latvia. But Czech fail wouldn`t be suprising taking how they play.not their best game so far. and its not like denmark is totaly out of race for qf

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Ofcourse i hope for Latvia. But Czech fail wouldn`t be suprising taking how they play.not their best game so far. and its not like denmark is totaly out of race for qf

I think Norway-Latvia will be the deciding game. I think the czech are strong enough to at least get 4'th.

croAVSfan*

I think Latvia can seek for suprise against Czechs...should be an interesting game.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
And yeah, It's most likely adapted from German. Many Latvians took on Germanic last names to avoid persecution way back in the day. Mine is no different.
It's a German surname. And it has nothing to de with prosecution, some Latvian people took German surnames when they got wealthy just because they'd sound more posh when Latvia was ruled by Baltic German nobles and they'd just better fit in the high society and some gained them when they were peasants at German owned manors and the Germans lords gave them Germanic sounding surnames (just like with other players like Girgen-sons or Ander-sons (Andersson) you can see Swedish influence of the same sort with Swedish rulers giving peasants surnames accoring to Swedish tradition.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
It doesn't sound german at all to me.....it ens in a -s - it must be latvian :laugh:

-s doesn't mean anything, if you look at surnames.

Girgenson-s
Anderson-s both obviously of Swedish descent meaning ''son of Girgens'' and probably
''son of Anders'' (distorted Andris??)

Rēdlihs is pretty much German Redlich, just like our racing driver Å legelmilhs is Schlegelmilch...

and all the Russian surnames (Tribuncov-s, Pujac-s, Sirokov-s)... basically all surnames in Latvia must end with ''s'' (or a, e), if you were a foreigner and wanted Latvian passport, in the passport they'd write in your name and surname according to Latvian way (George Bush would be Džordžs Bušs, and Barack Obama would be lucky as only his name would be distorted, as his surname ends with -a, so he'd be Baraks Obama)

But if we continue about the meaning of surnames, the only one that actually means something from current team is ''ĶēniņÅ¡- King (old form)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad