GDT: Group S • May 10 • Denmark 1, Russia 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Good Danish finish when the Russians started to relax. We avoided a humiliation again. Now it's the last 3 important matches that will make or break Denmark.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Okey ;) Well I see how u feel. We norwegians miss Zucca on the first line and lorentzen on the fourth. So we miss 2 players, while u miss 4 :(

Simon Nielsen is a good goalie ;) U got 3 good goalies atm! Thats amazing for Denmark :)

Yeah but we had so high hopes for Frederik Andersen (Frölunda) after his year in Sweden, and then when it's WC he is all ordinary. Still amazed that Simon Nielsen (Lukko) has taken the second position from Galbraith (Espoo Blues) that usually plays very well at the WC.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
3:1 against Russia is a normal. We had 5:2 humiliation. Despite our victory over Germany, we still look worse than Denmark and Norway.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Because they don't play equally, what are you watching? They scored some lucky goal. Shots are 20-7 in favor of Russia.

Helo is a guy who likes to troll Russians. He knows that what he is saying is ridiculous.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
3:1 against Russia is a normal. We had 5:2 humiliation. Despite our victory over Germany, we still look worse than Denmark and Norway.

Latvia are playing better than Denmark and Norway so far. Italy's only two points came at the expense of Denmark and Norway don't really strike me as that dangerous a team this year.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
He's a starter in the K?

3-1 now, nice slapper.

Barulin isn't the only reserve player in the lineup today. They are giving ice time to several guys who won't normally play, probably to give them some WC game experience and more rest to those players who will be crucial against teams like Sweden and the Czechs.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Is saying that Sweden is objectively stronger than Russian team right now is trolling and is ridicilous ? oh okay.

What you said was that Denmark was the equal of Russia - which justifiably elicited the comment "what game are you watching?" What I said, justifiably, was that that was a ridiculous comment. You didn't utter a word about Sweden in comparison to Russia. Maybe Sweden will make all your dreams come true and beat Russia - we'll have to wait until Saturday and let them play the game first.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
What you said was that Denmark was the equal of Russia - which justifiably elicited the comment "what game are you watching?" What I said, justifiably, was that that was a ridiculous comment. You didn't utter a word about Sweden in comparison to Russia. Maybe Sweden will make all your dreams come true and beat Russia - we'll have to wait until Saturday and let them play the game first.

I was reffering to comment were i said that if you will be playing the way like you do you will lose against Sweden.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
at 1-1 Denmark was equal to Russia.

Who is the best team and who wins doesn't always have to be the same in sport. Because you score beautiful technical goals does that make you a better team than one who scores lucky bounces?? Frustrating to all people with an aesthetic sense, it's not always the "best" team that wins in sport but the luckiest and most efficient. You are the best team when you win, otherwise not. Obviously Russia is far superior playing-wise compared to the danish team, but at 1-1 in match they are equal (box scores doesn't care about the "history" that took place before the specific match) until the Russians took the lead. Off course I'm not talking about teams being robbed of victory by a referee here (happens too often in sport).

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Who is the best team and who wins doesn't always have to be the same in sport. Because you score beautiful technical goals does that make you a better team than one who scores lucky bounces?? Frustrating to all people with an aesthetic sense, it's not always the "best" team that wins in sport but the luckiest and most efficient. You are the best team when you win, otherwise not. Obviously Russia is far superior playing-wise compared to the danish team, but at 1-1 in match they are equal (box scores doesn't care about the "history" that took place before the specific match) until the Russians took the lead. Off course I'm not talking about teams being robbed of victory by a referee here (happens too often in sport).

I agree with your comments. And I certainly did not intend to diminish the quality of Denmark's play today, which was excellent. I marvel at the way competitive play in the world is leveling off. Twenty years ago, if Russia played Denmark, you would expect Russia to win by at least 6 or 7 goals, but not anymore, because the team that Denmark put on the ice today is far, far better than any Danish team from 20 years ago. That is also true of Norway and Slovenia and other countries whose hockey has improved vastly in the past few decades. These countries can stand up against Canada and Sweden and give a very good, competitive showing for themselves.

Fulcrum

So you are saying when teams are tied they are equal strength? Long paragraph just to say that. So 1 second in the beginning of the 1st period Canada would be equally as strong as Algeria, for example- since they are tied. Flawed logic, at its root. Doesn't matter anyway

Fulcrum

I thought Denmark played really well and to the end, they certainly deserve credit. Jensen with a huge hit on Svitov. It is good to see countries like Denmark and Swiss get significantly better in hockey

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So you are saying when teams are tied they are equal strength? Long paragraph just to say that. So 1 second in the beginning of the 1st period Canada would be equally as strong as Algeria, for example- since they are tied. Flawed logic, at its root. Doesn't matter anyway

So how do you measure strength?? It's all based on previous history. What matters is how you play IN THE MATCH. Denmark was for instance far superior to Sweden in the third period which they won 3-0, Sweden was far superior in period 1-2. Had Denmark manage to come all the way back to win the match, they clearly would have been the better team - showing mental power where Sweden faltered. When Russia came back over Canada in the WJR it's skill, if it happens to a "lesser" team it's because "you let them". But being best is about being best in what you show -also psychologically. I'm just pointing out that when "bad teams" scores it's often discounted as "goalie mistakes" (all the talk about Cam Ward for instance), while when the "good team" scores lucky/weak goals it's because they are superior.
So which is the "better team". The one with 12 forward superstar, or the one with an unknown group of hard working players, but with a goalie that is impossible to pass that match?? The score will tell.
But off course you can always say a team plays more beautiful than another team - but "better"? Sport is about wininng!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I thought Denmark played really well and to the end, they certainly deserve credit. Jensen with a huge hit on Svitov. It is good to see countries like Denmark and Swiss get significantly better in hockey

Agreed. Especially the Swiss I'm hugely impressed with!

Fulcrum

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I agree with your comments. And I certainly did not intend to diminish the quality of Denmark's play today, which was excellent. I marvel at the way competitive play in the world is leveling off. Twenty years ago, if Russia played Denmark, you would expect Russia to win by at least 6 or 7 goals, but not anymore, because the team that Denmark put on the ice today is far, far better than any Danish team from 20 years ago. That is also true of Norway and Slovenia and other countries whose hockey has improved vastly in the past few decades. These countries can stand up against Canada and Sweden and give a very good, competitive showing for themselves.

What Denmark is clearly lacking is BEING READY from the start. Get's so many early goals against them lately...like they are not in gear from start. They show in 3'rd periods (where they should be dead tired) that they can compete and fight to the end. I'm also very happy with this WC..we avoid total blowouts and have many close matches. It just show that when the best team just decrease their speed intensity a little - it's a 50-50% situation. The good teams have to realize now from some scares that they have to be "there" all the time mentallly. It's totally great for hockey and why a value the WC very highly for the future of hockey!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
So how do you measure strength?? It's all based on previous history. What matters is how you play IN THE MATCH. Denmark was for instance far superior to Sweden in the third period which they won 3-0, Sweden was far superior in period 1-2. Had Denmark manage to come all the way back to win the match, they clearly would have been the better team - showing mental power where Sweden faltered. When Russia came back over Canada in the WJR it's skill, if it happens to a "lesser" team it's because "you let them". But being best is about being best in what you show -also psychologically. I'm just pointing out that when "bad teams" scores it's often discounted as "goalie mistakes" (all the talk about Cam Ward for instance), while when the "good team" scores lucky/weak goals it's because they are superior.
So which is the "better team". The one with 12 forward superstar, or the one with an unknown group of hard working players, but with a goalie that is impossible to pass that match?? The score will tell.
But off course you can always say a team plays more beautiful than another team - but "better"? Sport is about wininng!

The score was close throughout the game, and yet the flow of the game seemed from my perspective to be all in favor of the Russians. I think it is fair to say that Denmark had fewer talented players than Russia, and so they played the game defensively, hanging back and clogging up the middle in their own zone. This defensive style is effective in preventing goals, but it requires sacrificing the offensive part of the game. The Russians also play a defensive style, which further works toward keeping the margin of victory small. Another factor to be considered is that Russia used the occasion to give playing time to some players who otherwise wouldn't see the light of day.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The score was close throughout the game, and yet the flow of the game seemed from my perspective to be all in favor of the Russians. I think it is fair to say that Denmark had fewer talented players than Russia, and so they played the game defensively, hanging back and clogging up the middle in their own zone. This defensive style is effective in preventing goals, but it requires sacrificing the offensive part of the game. The Russians also play a defensive style, which further works toward keeping the margin of victory small. Another factor to be considered is that Russia used the occasion to give playing time to some players who otherwise wouldn't see the light of day.

The Russian kept the control all through, which the Swedes didn't. Though the great shorthanded chance to 2-3 to Jacobsen could have opened up for a danish chance of going to OT. Probably Frans Nielsen (maybe Jannik Hansen on 4'th?) were the only danish player that would be on the russian team (as 3 or 4th line center), so i totally agree with the amount of talent! But the Swiss is becoming a world class team IMO with their defensive and good goalkeeping (they rarely scores alot). I my oppinion they were equal to the canadians, that only won with the Getzlaf goal (if the Swiss had got it like that, they would blame it on Ward instead of crediting the Swiss).

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The Russian kept the control all through, which the Swedes didn't. Though the great shorthanded chance to 2-3 to Jacobsen could have opened up for a danish chance of going to OT. Probably Frans Nielsen (maybe Jannik Hansen on 4'th?) were the only danish player that would be on the russian team (as 3 or 4th line center), so i totally agree with the amount of talent! But the Swiss is becoming a world class team IMO with their defensive and good goalkeeping (they rarely scores alot). I my oppinion they were equal to the canadians, that only won with the Getzlaf goal (if the Swiss had got it like that, they would blame it on Ward instead of crediting the Swiss).

You're absolutely right, and it seems to me that the progress of the Swiss has encouraged other countries like Denmark and Norway that have a lot of good athletes to develop their hockey programs. Hopefully, this will be embraced by their countrymen who are their fans!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I am wondering if others noticed how good Kuznetsov looked today. His assist on Kalinin's goal was a thing of beauty, and he used his abundant talent to make some great moves and generate scoring chances throughout the day. It is encouraging to see him starting to mature!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad