GDT: Group H • May 6 • Finland 1, Slovakia 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Why did we wait until 40 seconds to go to pull our goalie? Pah.

Is Vujtek mad or something?

Why do you send your 4th line AND the super elite checking line (not even speaking of them being the 1st PP unit) on ice during the last few minutes when you need to score? You just don´t deserve to win with decisions like that.

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
Yeah, surprisingly (not) once again Finland's problem is to score. Nobody is willing to crash the net and in general most of the shots are from the blueline into a wall of meat.

Almost like I've seen this before. Anyways, goalies are solid and the overall look of the team is quite positive, although nobody really stands out. Let's see how they deal with the Swiss.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Enya or what and others... What do you say now about that Kärpät dynasties greatest JJ :sarcasm: hahahaha he's out if jalonen has any sense. Sorry about having fun here thought.

So someone IS pissed about the dynasty. :laugh:

But the reality is that Jokinen never was that great even in Finland, I still don't understand how he can get so many points in NHL. Pesonen was 10x more dominating when he was playing in Kärpät and he never made it in NA.

Disappointing game from the first line again, as well as every other line. Some nice passing but that's it. Vehanen was great, 2 games 2 goalies 2 shutouts.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Hmm. Should be happy that Finland is 2-0 after two games, but I'm disappointed at the lack of scoring. Filppula needs to get in shooting positions more (and shoot) since Jokinen can't hit the net...

Jokinen's next goal should be first trying to hit the puck. But he can train it for example at pyhäjärvi Kesäterässä-tournament, not here.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Victory, meh. At least we have good goaltending if everything else fails.

Enya or what and others... What do you say now about that Kärpät dynasties greatest JJ :sarcasm: hahahaha he's out if jalonen has any sense. Sorry about having fun here thought.
Don't bother, it's like talking to a wall. Enya will defend Kärpät players to the last breath, and mock MG when given the chance.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
So someone IS pissed about the dynasty. :laugh:

Not really, as KalPa fan Käprät was those days my second team and the team in the playoffs when KalPa back then never made it there (I lived prettymuch between kuopio and oulu). Anyway I just wanted to try if you guys now stop thinking about those old stuff and see this time he really right now hasn't what it takes to be there. SM-Liiga has nothing to do with that thing.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Not really, as KalPa fan Käprät was those days my second team and the team in the playoffs when KalPa back then never made it there (I lived prettymuch between kuopio and oulu). Anyway I just wanted to try if you guys now stop thinking about those old stuff and see this time he really right now hasn't what it takes to be there. SM-Liiga has nothing to do with that thing.

You're talking like I said Jokinen was great in the first game, which isn't the case. I said that we need to see how it goes in this game and yeah, he was pretty much useless out there. I think he created one great scoring chance and got one excellent chance but couldn't finish. He lost the puck many times near the boards but on the other hand played a solid two way game. We already got Koivu on the first line so I'd rather see someone who can score replacing Jokinen than have an NHL line dedicated to 2-way play. All three guys are great at passing but none of them have that sniper instinct, so IMO the line is simply built the wrong way.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, maybe it wasn't beautiful but it was a win. If you want beauty watch ballet or something. I'm sure eventually we'll start scoring at least a bit - Granlund must be a quite frustrated as Immonen seems to be bit rusty, he has really created great scoring opportunities in these two games...

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I think there's something wrong in the way our first two lines work. Jokinen is getting the scoring chances that should go to Filppula or even Koivu, and Pesonen getting the chances that should go to Immonen.

Granted, Pesonen scored today and Immonen has been a bit rusty, but I think if Immonen got those better chances to finish Granlund's passes, we would see a bit more goals scored.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Jokinen must be really frustrated, I'm sure he has been following the media. He has a lot of pressures about scoring, but man he just can't do it. Can't believe he has scored 38 goals in his best NHL season.

Slovakia can really go to the QFs with that kind of game and with Laco.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Jokinen must be really frustrated, I'm sure he has been following the media. He has a lot of pressures about scoring, but man he just can't do it. Can't believe he has scored 38 goals in his best NHL season.

Slovakia can really go to the QFs with that kind of game and with Laco.

It was 30. And a career year. Sometimes players score more than they're supposed to if everything goes right.

If he plays a healthy full season he is a 20 goal guy in the NHL, no more no less.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well, maybe it wasn't beautiful but it was a win. If you want beauty watch ballet or something.
I suggest figure skating. Scores galore for every participant once they're done.

Okay, while I still don't wish to throw anyone under the bus, I'd say something ought to be tried. Many seem to be pointing their fingers at Jokinen, but I noticed something that worries me even more: our 4th line was completely invisible. We usually have a rock-solid bottom unit, so for them to be this much out of the picture is a bit unusual.

Fine, Pihlström does show, due to his insane skating speed. And while I usually say that Pyörälä is probably good when he is invisible, he is being far too invisible right now. Something's wrong down there.

And okay, our 1st does look a bit off the rails too. Now the one who looks most to finish the rushes is surprisingly, Koivu, while Filppula is trying to act the main playmaker. The balance is not bad, but I am starting to think that line needs more straightforwardness. Mikko's trying to bring it, but it should not be his main job here.

Therefore...

Filppula - Koivu - Kiiskinen
Pesonen - Immonen - Granlund
Komarov - Kapanen - Jokinen
Joensuu - Kontiola - Pihlström

is the lineup I'd probably try in the next game. Let Pyörälä sit.

It'd also solve the 1st lines PP woes somewhat, since Kiiskinen likes to crash the net, despite his small size.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I noticed something that worries me even more: our 4th line was completely invisible. We usually have a rock-solid bottom unit, so for them to be this much out of picture is a bit unusual.

This is true. I was saying that after the first game too, and after this game I still got to agree. Team Finland isnt used to have 4th line who just is out there and survives, its been great energy line and bringed alot good things and momentum for the team. We dont want to give that up this year.

Lines you made would be good imo. Because the 4th is not working as well expected, Tuppurainen may act as some kind of Jalonen's joker, thought.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
Really pleased for Laco today though. I thought he had a great game.

Whilst Vujtek made some stupid decisions, I thought that we were a lot more exciting to watch than boring boring Filc hockey.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
"The penalties were pretty much one-sided, I think. It seemed like a lot of stuff was over-looked," said Slovakia captain Zdeno Chara.

I think too that finns get away few penalties

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yes. We were favoured with the penalties. I felt that too and you know what, this wasn't the first time in FIN vs SVK this has happened. I can't remember when it was but there was another game just like this, where refs tried to gives us the win and the other funny thing about it is, I never feel like this. Only twice vs SVK it has happened. Finland doesn't get gift penalties this way vs other top countries...

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I found it funny that Chara got upset about that. It seemed like they did nothing to Chara at all with those hits, but Chara isn't used to get touched at all so it was a big deal in Chara's mind :) and then he took that penalty.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Certainly but that's always been the case with host teams.

It was nice that Finns hit body on Chara. They didn't get scared of the big guy...instead went after him.

I see hitting and getting down Chara as psychological key-point. They trust in him, hes the big star and the man they trust... Then you go after him, haste him to the mistakes and knock him down.. It was good job by everyone pressuring him, and it was immonen who hit him down.

Komarov made couple of runs at him and also provocated him, and right after that chara took that slashing penalty outside of gameplay situation. Got under hes skin. Having role players is such a important thing.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Chara was like, who is this annoying looking fellow (Komarov). Chara didn't probably realize who he is and that he is an agitator since they play in different leagues. He walked into the Komarov mine!

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I don't think Finland got away with too much necessarily. If anything, too many penalties were called. Some of those SVK penalties were borderline at best. I thought it was a pretty clean game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad