GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
LOL Bob Mckenzie just retweeted this, must of just been announced: Minnesota Duluth defenseman Dylan Olsen signs 3-year contract with Chicago Blackhawks and will join AHL Rockford

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Sweden played a great period but Canada were just sitting back and not moving their feet at all. The depth of this team is really being tested. Roy has to be better, but the boys have to start skating.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone dismissing roy based on a few bad games and making assumptions on his career is way out of line.

This kids never had to deal with this kind of pressure before, and maybe at this point, he can't handle it. Maybe he needs a half decent defense in front of him to make him more comfortable? Maybe he is simply having a bad tournament? Or who knows, maybe despite doing so well at every other level of hockey he's played in, he truly does suck.

All i'm saying is yes, hes had a bad tourny, no that does not make him a bust, and he is absolutely not the only reason we might not win this game.

I just can't stand people making such harsh assumptions about a kid and his career based on seeing him play for maybe 180 minutes.

Unfortunately with the world juniors, its just about all people see of certain players and i have no doubt roy is considered a "bust" by many already.

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
Matti_A said:
Why do the Swedish play by play guys think they're in Canada?

Because they're pretty much in Canada. What, 10-20 minutes to the border?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He does have a style which makes you think he doesn't care. He holds on to the puck way too long all the time, and on the pk-goal he could've easily beaten the Canadian to puck puck to negate the 2-1 from even happening.

Heäs good, but not as good as everyone thought he'd be a year ago.

Agreed.

A year ago I thought he'd be a slam dunk first overall pick, but he's really regressed this year. Maybe the pressure has gotten to him? The injuries haven't helped.

He'll be a top 5 pick for sure though as he does have that potential, but he hasn't shown much as of yet...

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Agreed.

A year ago I thought he'd be a slam dunk first overall pick, but he's really regressed this year. Maybe the pressure has gotten to him? The injuries haven't helped.

He'll be a top 5 pick for sure though as he does have that potential, but he hasn't shown much as of yet...

Scouts seem to have really liked his game in this trny so far coming into this game. They have said him and Couturier could come out of this trny equal or very close.

I have a tough time he will fall out of the top 3 because he just has all the tools and nearly unlimited potential.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
The Blackhawks signed Olsen, hopefully they commanded him to leave the rink immediately and go to their AHL or ECHL team, he's more valuable to Canada there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Anyone dismissing roy based on a few bad games and making assumptions on his career is way out of line.

This kids never had to deal with this kind of pressure before, and maybe at this point, he can't handle it. Maybe he needs a half decent defense in front of him to make him more comfortable? Maybe he is simply having a bad tournament? Or who knows, maybe despite doing so well at every other level of hockey he's played in, he truly does suck.

All i'm saying is yes, hes had a bad tourny, no that does not make him a bust, and he is absolutely not the only reason we might not win this game.

I just can't stand people making such harsh assumptions about a kid and his career based on seeing him play for maybe 180 minutes.

Unfortunately with the world juniors, its just about all people see of certain players and i have no doubt roy is considered a "bust" by many already.

Give some of us a little credit here, pal.

I have not missed a WJHC game since 1993. I've seen all kinds of goalies at this level, and been around the game all my 40 years at many different levels.

Roy has some tendencies that show SERIOUS weaknesses in his game. I am not saying that as a disgruntled fan, as others suggest, but as someone who has a pretty decent grasp of what it takes for a player to make it, and why some don't.

He doesn't have it from what I have seen. He is folding under pressure, and that is not a small issue. As a goalie, that is a HUGE issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad