GDT: Group A • Feb. 15 • United States vs. Russia • Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Sliding across the crease does not = delay of game. At least not in the real world.

To be fair, if a referee feels a goalie is sliding across the crease and into the post in such a way as to deliberately displace the goal frame they can and likely will call a penalty. Pretty sure it is called Displacing the Goal in international hockey rather than delay of game.

HABS win CUPS*

Well, I don't necessarily believe that the refs could have called the penalty after the fact, but since they had to review when the pegs came loose, they certainly saw the play.

They probably couldn't call the penalty 15 seconds after it happened and after the goal (although the American team may not have touched the puck on the regroup), but usually when refs think that something underhanded happened, they even it up somehow with some sort of makeup call. At the very least, they go and talk to the player involved. It looked to me that after reviewing the play, they didn't have any problem with what Quick had done.

if they had noticed the net was off (and i mean it was just BARELY off) they probably would have penalized him

Sliding across the crease does not = delay of game. At least not in the real world.

hehe quick just lost control a bit there he's so imprecise

To be fair, if a referee feels a goalie is sliding across the crease and into the post in such a way as to deliberately displace the goal frame they can and likely will call a penalty. Pretty sure it is called Displacing the Goal in international hockey rather than delay of game.

im happy USA won but that was clearly intentional on Quick's part - im happy russia lost just think it wasnt all that clear cut and massive of a victory they played well

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
if they had noticed the net was off (and i mean it was just BARELY off) they probably would have penalized him

hehe quick just lost control a bit there he's so imprecise

im happy USA won but that was clearly intentional on Quick's part - im happy russia lost just think it wasnt all that clear cut and massive of a victory they played well

I can sense your obvious sarcasm, but really... watch Quick for like 10 minutes and you'll notice he does that after just about every single save he makes. He slides all over the place.

Any other goalie and I'd agree with you, but Quick does that routinely.

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Typical brown.

You know, I know that Brown has a wide stance, but he is leading with his shoulder. He is trying to make a shoulder on shoulder hit. However, Tarasenko bails out of the hit and stands up, and Brown misses with the shoulder and catches Tarasenko with his leg.

Brown probably has to do a better job of skating with a narrower stance when going for a hit, but like in the Hertl hit, if you are going to bail out of taking a hit, bad things are going to happen. I just wonder if this is a result of the way that European players are taught vs the way that NA players are taught to skate across the center of the ice.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
U.S.A. Vs Russia Replay?

What channel and what time? My guide says it should be on now on NBCSN but they are showing Swiss Vs CZE?

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

He had to quickly seal off the post on the far side of the net. In that situation there is no time to soften the impact with the net and it sometimes you knock the net off in the process but it is a legitimate play.

I'm a pretty undersized goalie who has to play a pretty aggressive style so I find myself in a similar position fairly frequently (more so since I adopted the reverse VH technique that Quick has mastered like no one else). Not once have I knocked the net off specifically to get a whistle and not once have I been called for doing so but the net probably comes off an average of twice per game on me the same way since our league uses sub par pegs. There have certainly been plenty of fans at road games who have accused me of intentionally knocking the net off though. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad