Line Combos: Grosenick or Skinner

Grosenick or Skinner Sunday vs Sens

• Total voters

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Simple question that was debated a bit on 1260 yesterday. With back to back games we could be looking at resting Koskinen.

Gregor mentioned Grosenick as he has had a lot more AHL experience(and better numbers as of late). Gazzola was mentioning Skinner as a reward and maybe you get that rookie that plays lights out his first game. Gazzola mentioned Brossoit was the best player in his first game.

I put Koskinen in there as they Struds talked about potentially just going with him as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I thought it was going to be as easy as just saying Grosenick as he's older more experienced. I did end up going with him.

The reason I hesitated was when I looked at last year's numbers for both guys. Sure Grosenick is lights out better, but he wasn't the best guy on his team. Skinner's numbers look really bad, but that whole team wasn't exactly good defensively. Are Skinner's numbers a bit tainted because of that?

I do agree with BBO as well that if Skinner has been great in practice then maybe you go to him. I hate to just "reward" the guy as it's not something we can afford to do. If he starts of Grosenick I hope it's because he deserves it on merit.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Skinners terrible. Never been impressed (minor hockey & jr). Maybe as a pro hes gotten better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerfish

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
They've waited this long for Goose (giving Grosenick this nickname on the spot). To clear quarantine, may as well start him. Either that or play Skinner against Toronto on Saturday.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Reward Skinner for what?

Also, LB is very different player than Skinner. The kid has 70 NHL games under his belt and is a lot closer to Koskinen in comparison than Skinner.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I thought it was going to be as easy as just saying Grosenick as he's older more experienced. I did end up going with him.

The reason I hesitated was when I looked at last year's numbers for both guys. Sure Grosenick is lights out better, but he wasn't the best guy on his team. Skinner's numbers look really bad, but that whole team wasn't exactly good defensively. Are Skinner's numbers a bit tainted because of that?

I do agree with BBO as well that if Skinner has been great in practice then maybe you go to him. I hate to just "reward" the guy as it's not something we can afford to do. If he starts of Grosenick I hope it's because he deserves it on merit.

If we had a better start to the season that would be one thing. We can ill afford to lose any more points or have Koskinen get hurt because he's been overplayed. That and I think that a vet like Grosenick likely appreciates the opportunity more seeing as he has paid his dues in the AHL already.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The problem with Grosenick is he hasn’t even practiced with the team yet, and I believe he’s only been on the ice once or maybe twice since getting to Edmonton. I think it’d be tough to throw him into a game with that little preparation.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
With only a few days of practice for Grosenick, I'm not sure he would be ready unfortunately as he's been sitting in a hotel room for the past 2 weeks, right?

Reactions: joestevens29

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The problem with Grosenick is he hasn’t even practiced with the team yet, and I believe he’s only been on the ice once or maybe twice since getting to Edmonton. I think it’d be tough to throw him into a game with that little preparation.
It might actually be a good thing.
He isnt ruined yet by our coaches

Reactions: Porkleaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I want Gross Nick just so I can be saying that drunk and hear Michaels say it however he will. I mean why not. For a change up I'd want either right now and give Koskinen some sleep.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Well considering that Tippet refuses to play Skinner, even though he had more time to practice with the team. It's obviously Grosenick, which hasn't practice with the team, will get the first backup start.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Well considering that Tippet refuses to play Skinner, even though he had more time to practice with the team. It's obviously Grosenick, which hasn't practice with the team, will get the first backup start.

.948 sv% with a shutout lol. Very small sample size but seriously, Koskinen needs a break and I don't trust Skinner at all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I could imagine that no goalies look very good with guys like Drai, McD, Nuge lurking around getting free shots on net in practice..

Least theres no red light flashing everytime the puck goes in. One of the things I miss about going to games is you get hints how on a goalie will be even pregame. Sometimes you see they are on top of it. Other times its like, wow, start the other guy..

kind of jk, I'm sure its not a great way to evaluate.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Reward Skinner for what?

Also, LB is very different player than Skinner. The kid has 70 NHL games under his belt and is a lot closer to Koskinen in comparison than Skinner.
The comment was about LB's first NHL game where he had 51 saves. Not his first game of this season.

As for reward Skinner for what. I have no idea where Gazzola was going with that. His reward is that he is getting a NHL pay cheque right now.

Reactions: Porkleaker and LTIR

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Oilers need to push for a split with Toronto. They need a legitimate NHL goalie to do that. The Oilers need to win the first game against a cellar dweller Senators team. They need a legitimate NHL goalie to do that. Koskinen needs to play both games. Then MAYBE look at a career AHL guy Grosenick to win a second game against Ottawa.

It is spreading pixie dust and unicorn farts to think Skinner is ready to backstop any NHL game let alone a weekend in which the Oilers simply need to win at MINIMUM 1 game and really frankly need two wins. Skinner is not even established as an AHL goalie. To think he's somehow ready for a critical NHL game is foolhardy. He's only in Edmonton because a) he's from there (joke) and b) the Oilers senior citizen puck stopper is ... shocker ... injured.

Not pretty but the Oilers have one NHL goalie. They've got to run Koskinen.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Reward Skinner for what?

I'm willing to bet everything that LB didn't have 70 NHL games of experience when he was given his first start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad