Rumor: Gronborg to NHL/Red Wings?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Some speculation here translated from the Viasat Hockey Podcast:

Basically the podcast hosts are saying that they think Lidstrom and the Wings are interested in bringing Gronborg to the NHL, first in an AC capacity and eventually as a head coach. Maybe he'll be the Wings next HC?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Good call for Assistant, nothing against it.

And would sign one Finn too, Jalonen or Pennanen. Maybe Jalonen, because I think Pennanen would like to take the National Team duties after him. Jalonen clearly has stated, his career target is in NHL.

Blashill is just fine as the Head coach.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We have a large swedish presence coming up the pipeline. Would make a lot of sense to get a progressive, swedish coach to help our swedish kids. This would be a winning organization's move.

Yeah, it just makes too much sense.

Grönborg (Greencastle in english) also has that North-American experience, from earlier career. Has been at NCAA and WHL Spokane earlier etc.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I've been advocating for Gronberg to come over for a long while now.

His name was 'floated around' before Eakins was in Anaheim, but they guy surely has won a lot with Sweden

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I prefer Larionov
This is obviously for the defensive assistant position.

Houda emphasis way too much puck chasing and not enough positional system and coverage. That was obvious against Minnesota with all the back door plays, any team with decent passing can score at will. The team is also 23rd in PK% which is pathetic. Plus I think Seider and Edvinsson are beyond the talent level that Houda can coach, he doesn't seem to have a lot of hockey IQ as a player or coach.

Replace Houda with this guy, let Blash coach another season and evaluate at the end of next season. I don't mind having a head coach that's more of a facilitator instead of a hard ass like Torts or Lav. If that's the route Stevie decides to go, he needs to get rid of players like Erne who aren't self motivated. Erne needs a coach that will ride his ass hard every day.

Reactions: golffuul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad