Post-Game Talk: Gritty Flyers 4 Sad Sack Jets 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
just to piggy-back off this a bit, as it relates to the defense

lots of commentary - and rightfully on stanley - however our vets.... Pionk a 6M turnstile in the defensive-zone, Josh Norrissey? don't think so over the last few weeks. the Stanley criticism is undoubtedly warranted, however, our highly paid vets have been a shell of themselves.
Agree with JoMo, he has been fantastic most of this year, but the last 5 games he has not been great at all. Specifically the last two games he has turned pucks over, lost guys in his own end and made a lot of poor decisions.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with JoMo, he has been fantastic most of this year, but the last 5 games he has not been great at all. Specifically the last two games he has turned pucks over, lost guys in his own end and made a lot of poor decisions.
i understand the leeway morrissey has garnered b/c of his season to-date. the expectations and consistency from him should be higher. at the end of the day, he's a high paid player, leader... he should be one of the ones this teams looks to to get out of a slump.

& Pionk to me. If Bowness wants to preach about accountability, Pionk has to be seeing a reduction in minutes.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The PP needs a serious overhaul too , just passing it around on the outside and not moving around to get in better positions isn't really working.
Actually they are working on it, not sure if you noticed but they're trying to do a lot of switching when they have possession, likely to try to pull the pk out of position and create some seams. Not sure if it will work but at least you can see this coaching staff isnt stubborn which is a good thing

Wow, Chicken Little is alive and well on this board.
That's precisely why I left after the second goal and didn't come back until this morning

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Lots of negativity and I guess rightfully so in the moment but I think the Jets will be fine.

Sure they are now slumping, but with an 82 game schedule over 7 months in an extremely competitive league it is unrealistic to expect a team not to have a down period.

And I think that's all this is. A good team with a good coach having a rough patch.

To assume that the past 7 games where the Jets only won once defines the "real Jets" is knee jerk negative. How about the 9 games prior to this slump where the Jets only had one loss. I don't think that stretch is the real Jets either. But just shows the roller coaster that is an NHL team in an incredibly tough league.

Looking at the big picture this is the same team with the same Vezina goalie with the same veteran coach that got them to first place (or close) in the first half of the season.

When Bones says "I'm going to fix this" , I trust he will. Because he's done it before.

Or maybe the Jets are Shyte and the sky is falling. Whatever, it's damn entertaining.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like it. He’s saying exactly what some here have been saying. No lack of talent, just a lack of effort and commitment.

I hope the players are embarrassed by this.

Pretty spot on imo. It matches what I saw last night. I thought the team played well ,(not amazing but good enough to win) up until the Flyers got that second goal. Then the wheels fell off and players started feeling sorry for themselves and their game sagged or trying to do way too much and accomplishing little.

Indent think it's a lack of care by the players, I just think some of our guys don't handle things as they should when things go off the rails.

With some players, namely Dubois, Ehlers, JoMo and Conner. When things go off the rails to dofferent degrees they try to do too much and trust their teammates less. That is why you see all hang onto the puck too long and try to make things happen on their own. You can't play on your own in this league and that gets each of them into trouble when they do so. I think they all care but deviate too much from the scheme to make things happen and that causes chaos.

Some others like Mark and Blake just seem to shut down when they slump and as a result the work rate drops and the commitment drops.

This team needs to get back to playing as a unit and working hard and providing proper support. I have no doubt that they can get back to being a good team but it's going to take the leaders either doing less or getting committed again.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Lots of negativity and I guess rightfully so in the moment but I think the Jets will be fine.

Sure they are now slumping, but with an 82 game schedule over 7 months in an extremely competitive league it is unrealistic to expect a team not to have a down period.

And I think that's all this is. A good team with a good coach having a rough patch.

To assume that the past 7 games where the Jets only won once defines the "real Jets" is knee jerk negative. How about the 9 games prior to this slump where the Jets only had one loss. I don't think that stretch is the real Jets either. But just shows the roller coaster that is an NHL team in an incredibly tough league.

Looking at the big picture this is the same team with the same Vezina goalie with the same veteran coach that got them to first place (or close) in the first half of the season.

When Bones says "I'm going to fix this" , I trust he will. Because he's done it before.

Or maybe the Jets are Shyte and the sky is falling. Whatever, it's damn entertaining.
Thanks for keeping us off the ledge. I’m going to try to remain positive and give it until @5 games after they return from the ASG to judge if the sky really is falling.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Pretty spot on imo. It matches what I saw last night. I thought the team played well ,(not amazing but good enough to win) up until the Flyers got that second goal. Then the wheels fell off and players started feeling sorry for themselves and their game sagged or trying to do way too much and accomplishing little.

Indent think it's a lack of care by the players, I just think some of our guys don't handle things as they should when things go off the rails.

With some players, namely Dubois, Ehlers, JoMo and Conner. When things go off the rails to dofferent degrees they try to do too much and trust their teammates less. That is why you see all hang onto the puck too long and try to make things happen on their own. You can't play on your own in this league and that gets each of them into trouble when they do so. I think they all care but deviate too much from the scheme to make things happen and that causes chaos.

Some others like Mark and Blake just seem to shut down when they slump and as a result the work rate drops and the commitment drops.

This team needs to get back to playing as a unit and working hard and providing proper support. I have no doubt that they can get back to being a good team but it's going to take the leaders either doing less or getting committed again.
Watching last night, no way was PLD in the try to do too much category. He was firmly in the disappear and are you even sure he dressed category. That was his worst game since he was stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks because of Covid back in 2021.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
During this 3 game losing streak we have 3 goals.
PLD - 2 G
Schmidt - 1G
Pefetti - 1A
DeMelo - 1A
Wheeler - 2A
Lowry - 1A
Scheifele - 1A

For a team that was pumping 4 or 5 past their opponents on a regular basis that is pretty sad.

As selfish and lazy as PLD appears to be playing recently at least he is still scoring goals.
If our other scorers could contribute we could have won one of these games.
If Lowry could ever score (and he's had chances) that would have changed the tide as well.

I'm expecting one more stinker on Monday and then we'll see what happens.
Slumps are slumps but I don't buy this tired BS.
They've been losing to teams who are on a back to backs (3 in 4's).
I'm not sure what other teams near the top of the standings are checking out before the game even starts.

I knew again in the first few minutes that we weren't in it.
At that point we could really only rely on Helle to get a shutout or for a lucky bounce.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Does this fall under 'chicken little?
For me, it’s less of a chicken little thing for me and more of just frustration with the lack of effort.

Listen, if I go to work and don’t give an effort, I get fired. They shouldn’t be given a pat on the back when the effort is simply not there. Like Bowness says, the fans just want to see a 60-minute effort and when people spend $100s of their hard-earned money to attend games, or on jerseys, or on whatever … if they were losing but showing fight and emotion it would be easier stomach but when they give no effort they deserve the criticism they’re getting. The coach admitted they weren’t giving an effort, that’s just disrespectful to the fans

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
For me, it’s less of a chicken little thing for me and more of just frustration with the lack of effort.

Listen, if I go to work and don’t give an effort, I get fired. They shouldn’t be given a pat on the back when the effort is simply not there. Like Bowness says, the fans just want to see a 60-minute effort and when people spend $100s of their hard-earned money to attend games, or on jerseys, or on whatever … if they were losing but showing fight and emotion it would be easier stomach but when they give no effort they deserve the criticism they’re getting. The coach admitted they weren’t giving an effort, that’s just disrespectful to the fans

To me the chicken little stuff more refers to not wanting to make any deadline moves or even sell off - this run of play has shown two things to me, one they can't get away without putting in an effort; the talent is there but they need to keep it simple and support each other. Two, they need more scoring depth. Lowry is an offensive black hole and the team needs more scoring from the bottom 6.

People are worrying about being a playoff team and how they're "only" 7 points up on the WC spots - 7 points is a lot in today's NHL.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
To me the chicken little stuff more refers to not wanting to make any deadline moves or even sell off - this run of play has shown two things to me, one they can't get away without putting in an effort; the talent is there but they need to keep it simple and support each other. Two, they need more scoring depth. Lowry is an offensive black hole and the team needs more scoring from the bottom 6.

People are worrying about being a playoff team and how they're "only" 7 points up on the WC spots - 7 points is a lot in today's NHL.
We still have some time to go before the deadline so we’ll see if we turn it around or not. If they continue to suck ass, there’s no way we should be buyers at the deadline. But if they start winning again and prove this is a slump, then yeah, we should go for it.

Seven points isn’t a ton if we keep losing, of course, obviously, so we can’t keep losing.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Thanks for keeping us off the ledge. I’m going to try to remain positive and give it until @5 games after they return from the ASG to judge if the sky really is falling.
Screw 5 games ... the Blues game will tell the story of what kind of team the Jets are.
It's not about winning or losing the game its the response of the play after being called out by the coach.
Next step healthy scratch.

Oh by the way the Bruins just lost their third game in a row.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Screw 5 games ... the Blues game will tell the story of what kind of team the Jets are.
It's not about winning or losing the game its the response of the play after being called out by the coach.

But how was their effort? (Serious question)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I mean a loss to Tampa Bay and Carolina with an OT loss to Florida don't quite compare to Buffalo and philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad