Michael Russo: Greenway Turning Pro? (Upd: Nope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I own him in a fantasy keeper league. I believe it would be good for his development to stay at BU another year. Learn to dominate these guys physically and offensively before taking the next step.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Slow down on the Tuch comment there...I know this is the Greenway thread, but I think 'disappears' is a huge overstatement. Kid was playing his first pro season and was second on the team in scoring, made the all star game. 31 points in 47 games.

Thank you. Tuch won't be able to legally buy liquor until May. He's still a man-child. I think he has done fine as a 20 year old finding his way in pro hockey.

Is he McDavid? Hell no. Can he develop into a good NHLer? Absolutely.

Greenway will likely follow a similar path - it's one thing dominating a U-20 tournament physically, and another doing it in the pros. Tuch is almost as big, and probably more skilled. Nice problem to have.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sounds like he'll be in Iowa this Summer.

I read that as he hasn't decided on whether or not he's going to turn pro yet, so he's going to finish his school semester and make the decision in the Summer.

If he knew he was turning pro, there's no point in waiting for summer.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I read that as he hasn't decided on whether or not he's going to turn pro yet, so he's going to finish his school semester and make the decision in the Summer.

If he knew he was turning pro, there's no point in waiting for summer.

I personally would wait if I planned on finishing my degree because I wouldn't want to throw away most of a semester to play a few AHL games.

I don't know if athletes have a different schedule but the BU calendar says Spring Semester finals are May 8th - May 12th.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I personally would wait if I planned on finishing my degree because I wouldn't want to throw away most of a semester to play a few AHL games.

I don't know if athletes have a different schedule but the BU calendar says Spring Semester finals are May 8th - May 12th.

He's a sophomore... if he's going for a degree and he's turning pro, he's still got a ways to go anyway. He clearly hasn't decided yet.

This isn't about throwing away a semester, because his signing bonus for turning pro would more than make up for it down the road.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Greenway is staying at BU another season. On mobile so dont have the link but its on SBnation college hockey with quotes from boston papers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Greenway is staying at BU another season. On mobile so dont have the link but its on SBnation college hockey with quotes from boston papers.

Yeah, I knew he hadn't committed to playing pro yet based on his previous comments, so this doesn't surprise me.

Another year in college won't do any harm.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I like this decision. He is still the rawest of the top prospects for the Wild.Keeping him off the books for another seseason seems a good choice for all parties.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
This has gone well. I thought he could use another year at Boston, and I'm excited to see if he looks out of place or not against men at the World Championships. Could be a good indicator for what he needs to work on next season, those little blemishes in his game that get covered up playing weaker competition.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Good move for him to go back to BU, I think. With the departures they had, he should be one of their top players, that should be good experience while he refines his game.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
its probably for the best he stayed another year in college. i hope he can ramp up his goal scoring to close to 20G. then welcome to iowa!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So, Greenway's involvement in the World Championships got me thinking that maybe he's using the WC's as a tryout for an Olympic Roster spot. After the NHL's decision not to participate in the 2018 Olympics, wouldn't NCAA players be more enticed to avoid leaving school early this year to keep their amateur status for Olympic eligibility next year? I mean, I'm sure Greenway has his reasons for staying at BU, but he knows the Wild are going to be there next year and he could essentially get the best of both worlds if he can play in the Olympics and sign with the Wild a few months later.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So, Greenway's involvement in the World Championships got me thinking that maybe he's using the WC's as a tryout for an Olympic Roster spot. After the NHL's decision not to participate in the 2018 Olympics, wouldn't NCAA players be more enticed to avoid leaving school early this year to keep their amateur status for Olympic eligibility next year? I mean, I'm sure Greenway has his reasons for staying at BU, but he knows the Wild are going to be there next year and he could essentially get the best of both worlds if he can play in the Olympics and sign with the Wild a few months later.

Players in the AHL might get loaned as well. Amateur status isn't needed in the Olympics, so other pro level players can go if their NHL team allows - much like World Juniors.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
In the latest Souhan-Russo podcast, Russo speculated that Greenway may have, in fact, stayed at BU another year to ensure he's eligible to play in the Olympics. Even though AHL players may still be eligible to play, the NHL has still not released all of the details about those rules and staying in school another year would ensure Greenway would be able to play in the Olympics.

Again, heavy speculation on Russo's part, but he did confirm that the Wild brass was really pushing to have him signed this year and were very disappointed it did not happen.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
In the latest Souhan-Russo podcast, Russo speculated that Greenway may have, in fact, stayed at BU another year to ensure he's eligible to play in the Olympics. Even though AHL players may still be eligible to play, the NHL has still not released all of the details about those rules and staying in school another year would ensure Greenway would be able to play in the Olympics.

Again, heavy speculation on Russo's part, but he did confirm that the Wild brass was really pushing to have him signed this year and were very disappointed it did not happen.

easy boys, what's another year going to hurt in college.. the kids 20

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
easy boys, what's another year going to hurt in college.. the kids 20

Staying in college another year may effect when he's NHL ready. If they expect he'll need a yearish of AHL time, and is ready for AHL now (he probably is), than getting him signed gets him ready in 2018-2019 season instead of 2019-2020.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think this was the year the Wild needed to sign him.

There is the option to finish up his degree and go the Vesey route and pick where he wants to play. If he went that route, how many teams would be lining up to sign a big body power FWD after his senior year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad