Kings News: Greene Contract Extension - 4 Years @ $2.5M AAV

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I haven't been critical of Greene at all and with the exception of his foot speed starting to drop off over time he has been a solid part of the team. I have always felt that what he brings to the team in his ability to maintain a cohesiveness in the locker room is something that gets overlooked too easily. Leadership is part of made this team play so hard for each other and so is proving that you are going to lay it all on the line each shift.

Greener has always done that. There are certainly better Dmen out there and maybe even better situations right inside out own org but like MR to me MG has earned his spot and if DL believes in anyone then so do I. I mean 2 cups in 3 years in my lifetime?

F everything else, I am going to drown in the kool aide before I turn.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Not that happy with 4 years on this deal, but I can live with 2.5/year. He played well down the stretch in the playoffs and the dude is just a warrior. It'll be worth it.

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
can I ask a questions - on the salary cap what is the amount of players required. Is there a set amount I.E 23 or is there a min and max I.E 22-25
Also the examples here - would this mean VEY and Andreoff hit waivers so are likely lost

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($5.500m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($5.875m)
Tanner Pearson ($0.736m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.717m)
Dwight King ($1.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Kyle Clifford ($1.075m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.525m)
Jordan Nolan ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jake Muzzin ($1.000m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Willie Mitchell ($2.500m) / Slava Voynov ($4.167m)
Alec Martinez ($1.100m) / Matt Greene ($2.500m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Brayden McNabb ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
Martin Jones ($0.550m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,666,894; BONUSES: $342,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $433,106

Obviously 1 too many guys on D however. :([/QUOTE]

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I am pleased with this as news to wake up to. It's a great cap hit and I'm actually OK with hit he term as come year 4 he'll be a cost effective #7.

The back surgery he had will have taken time to recover from and even once cleared to play it will have taken time to get back to being as strong as before. Then there's maybe some time to get to being 100% confident in it. I'm hoping that is one of the reasons we so an upswing in his play comet he play-offs, that being the first time he truly felt 100%. It's not that much of a stretch. There I no telling just how important Greene is to the dynamic in the room. He is I clearly key, but perhaps it was felt it could I be replaced adequately from within.

As as far the cap goes there is a lot of talk about who we have to sign. However we have a bunch off guys in the minors hammering on the door and it won't be a shock to see a couple of guys moved on. I think they had solid play-offs but I could see two of King, Lewis and Clifford gone within 18 months with space being initially made for Andreoff and then of course Prokhorkin once his contract in the KHL is done (it seems to change every time I read about it). I am looking for two rookies to be on the opening night roster.

djspock92

Jul 30, 2013
can I ask a questions - on the salary cap what is the amount of players required. Is there a set amount I.E 23 or is there a min and max I.E 22-25
Also the examples here - would this mean VEY and Andreoff hit waivers so are likely lost

The max is 23. The Kings rolled with 22 for a while late in the regular season to make some cap space.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Vey and Andreoff can spend one more season (14/15 season) in Manchester without being subjected to waivers.
McNabb doesn't have that luxury and can be claimed by anyone if he doesn't make the team.

Obviously 1 too many guys on D however.

Last year we had 8 D to start the season, 2 of them healthy scratches. Doughty, Voynov, Muzzin, Regehr, Mitchell, Martinez, Greene, Ellerby.

Last edited:

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I absolutely love Greener, but I don't think he'll complete that contract. He'll get traded for a late pick or eventually get bought out. Here's hoping to being proven wrong.

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
I absolutely love Greener, but I don't think he'll complete that contract. He'll get traded for a late pick or eventually get bought out. Here's hoping to being proven wrong.

Yeah, but that's what's great about it, IMO. 2-3 seasons from now, he's either a useful contributor OR we trade him to another contender for a draft pick or two.

There are ALWAYS teams looking for a cheap, veteran SAH D-man. When you add character and two Cups (maybe more) experience, you have an easily moved asset.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't see Greene getting bought out with the current value of defensemen around the league being where it's at. If we wanted to move him or that contract, we should be able to do so easily.

Greene just needs to get healthy and try his best to stay that way. He is one of the meanest and most menacing players in the crease and hits hard. Not to mention he developed an acceptable pass and shot making him at least chip in offensively every now and then. The deal seems fine, but I am concerned a little bit by our speed on the back-end.

Doughty, Muzzin, and Martinez are good. Voynov is alright but needs to commit himself to getting in better shape and refining his game, which is acceptable and understandable given how few games he's played leading up to this exhausting season. Regehr, Greene, McNabb, and maybe Mitchell could cause concern though.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I don't know.

I think that with McNabb Forbort and Gravel all being ready or very close to it (ready to begin their NHL careers) and Ebert Bodnarchuk Campbell and possibly Schultz that we have a ton of depth for our 4,5 and 6. Regehr can go when his time is up and Matty will either play well enough to stick around as a 5/6 guy or will be 35 and ready to move when his deal is up as well. DL has done his homework as usual and I think we are just loaded and ready everywhere.

Captain Mittens*

The Kings trying to make me look bad for the last post

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723687

LAKings.com
Comment Print E-mail
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Kings – the 2014 Stanley Cup Champions – have agreed to terms on a four-year contract with defenseman and assistant captain Matt Greene, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

Greene, 31, has played for the Kings since the club acquired him and Jarret Stoll in a trade with Edmonton in 2008. Greene has helped the Kings win two Stanley Cups during his six seasons in Los Angeles.

A 6-3, 234-pound native of Grand Ledge, Michigan, Greene played in 38 regular season games (2-4=6, 47 PIM, plus-6 rating) for the Kings this past season. He also played in 20 more playoff games (four assists), including all five Stanley Cup Final contests.

At the end of the regular season, Greene was selected by his teammates as the club’s Most Inspirational Player (Ace Bailey Memorial Award).

Overall, Greene has played in 504 career regular season NHL games with the Kings and Oilers and he has 69 points (13-56=69) and 582 penalty minutes. He has also played in 79 career NHL postseason games and has 14 points (2-12=14).

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards moving Regehr. He's only been with the team for a little over a year. Its almost certain he won't be resigned after this season as well. We can then use that money to resign Mitchell for a year or two. I think losing Mitchell would be a bigger hit to the locker room than Regehr.

Muzzin-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
McNabb

Get McNabb in there for some games to give Mitchell "maintenance days". McNabb eventually takes Mitchells spot the following season or two.

We got Regehr his cup, time to move on.

I think you underestimate Regehr's influence in the room. I think he can more than replace what Mitchell brings there. And I think Mitchell brings a LOT.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I don't know.

I think that with McNabb Forbort and Gravel all being ready or very close to it (ready to begin their NHL careers) and Ebert Bodnarchuk Campbell and possibly Schultz that we have a ton of depth for our 4,5 and 6. Regehr can go when his time is up and Matty will either play well enough to stick around as a 5/6 guy or will be 35 and ready to move when his deal is up as well. DL has done his homework as usual and I think we are just loaded and ready everywhere.

Kids have to earn a spot, for way too long they were just given playing time because there was nobody else which leads to black hole hockey. You want a spot? Beat out a veteran, that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad