Kings News: Greene Contract Extension - 4 Years @ $2.5M AAV

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
So that means Mitchell wants more money and longer term than the kings are willing to offer I would assume.

I thinki I would feel better with Mitchell and Rehgr than green and rheger

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I'm thinking it has to be a 1 year deal. Let Greene get one more shot at the Cup without compromising the re-signings that have to occur next offseason.

Wondering if this means that Lombardi is going to go ahead re-sign Mitchell and Greene in order to pressure Gaborik into taking the hometown discount to stay in LA. I could see Dean doing so in order to show Gaborik that he means business about wanting players to want to be here, then if Gaborik still wants to come back I could see Lombardi increasing to 5.5-6M/year rather than the initial 5M/year that was rumored.

Either that or Greene is already being re-signed because Gaborik is as well. Or worse, Mitchell is leaving. I definitely think that Mitchell is a prime candidate for a team like Columbus, Minnesota, or the Avalanche as a two-time Stanley Cup winner who can excel at mentoring younger guys while still playing solid minutes.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Per @reallisa
Looking like Kings defenseman Matt Greene will be staying. In LA. Deal is close..

Wow surprised and disappointed, this doesn't improve the D and RR and MG as the bottom pairing leaves McNabb where? Unless they're trading RR? And Mitchell is moving on then
Not a fan of this, Greene didn't look the same this year.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I'd expect Greene to bounce back as long as he can stay healthy, but even at his best Mitchell is still better despite his age.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm thinking it has to be a 1 year deal. Let Greene get one more shot at the Cup without compromising the re-signings that have to occur next offseason.

Wondering if this means that Lombardi is going to go ahead re-sign Mitchell and Greene in order to pressure Gaborik into taking the hometown discount to stay in LA. I could see Dean doing so in order to show Gaborik that he means business about wanting players to want to be here, then if Gaborik still wants to come back I could see Lombardi increasing to 5.5-6M/year rather than the initial 5M/year that was rumored.

Either that or Greene is already being re-signed because Gaborik is as well. Or worse, Mitchell is leaving. I definitely think that Mitchell is a prime candidate for a team like Columbus, Minnesota, or the Avalanche as a two-time Stanley Cup winner who can excel at mentoring younger guys while still playing solid minutes.

I can't see Greene agreeing to a 1 year deal and I'm curious how much he'll get. One ofthe Colorado reporters speculated overthe weekend that Greene could have gotten a goo d $$ and term there. And if they are signing him, they can't sign Mitchell too, they already have Regehr, that's too many D.
Unless one of the others is being traded.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I think a lot of people forget how important Greene is in the room. Not that you keep him for that alone but it is a huge factor. I 'm guessing they don't want to mess with the team chemistry.

Captain Mittens*

I think a lot of people forget how important Greene is in the room. Not that you keep him for that alone but it is a huge factor. I 'm guessing they don't want to mess with the team chemistry.

exactly

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
It only makes sense to me if it's a year.

Work it as an insurance policy on McNabb being able to hang.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
There is no way in this market, at his age, having been a regular player during 2 Cup runs and wearing an "A" on an NHL team as long as Greene has that he's signing a one-year "make good" contract. I'd be more than stunned. I'd also be surprised if he took less than $3.5M AAV, but less surprised than if he signed for just 1 year.

There are no hometown discounts...there never have been and in L.A. you just won't see one unless you have a special guy who just wants to win or values the lifestyle more than others do..

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I'm going to go with two years at 3M.

And personally I think Bods>McNabb. Bodnarchuk was a beast this year in the AHL, McNabb was alright.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
that's a step backwards...and why did DL get McNabb then?

I'm guessing because at the time of the deal Martinez had been a regular healthy scratch by Sutter, Muzzin was struggling, Regehr was Regehr and Mitchell was getting old and had just sat out a season from injury. There were some question marks to say the least in regards to the Kings future defense on the left side.

My guess is McNabb, Martinez and Greene will be rotating in and out depending on what Sutter sees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad