Greatest of our lives

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
We are living in times, where are some individuals, that are (were) far better as their counterparts. And it is very possible, in our life we will never see better.

Athletics - Usain Bolt
Tennis - Roger Federer
Sure, there are Nadal and Murray, but they are behind him. Federer could be as a 36 years old Nr. 1 in rankings. Amazing. There was time of Pete Sampras and at that time i thought, we will never see better guy... Now im saying it abou Federer.

Woman tennis - Serena Williams
She is pregnancy, but it is possible, she will come back and win something.

Football (Soccer) - Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo
Ice hockey productivity from 80s transformed into football (soccer). Maybe this young guy from Paris will say something in the future.

Who else?

In Basketball im not sure about Michael Jordan. There are few individuals, that could shake his position. Wilt Chamberlain was great, but that was very different times.

Ice-hockey is discussed in others topics, so for now, ignore it.

Are there any unbreakable in american football, baseball, and in other sports like volleyball, handball, crickett ...?

Im following volleyball a little bid, so the name Giba occurs here.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
This is basically an impossible task - so many different disciplines, it's inevitably going to be biased towards those sports with the most media attention and unfair to many great athletes who happened to do a sport that people didn't want to watch on TV.

I disagree with Bolt and Ronaldo. Athletics has so many demanding disciplines and just because he has been promoted as such, I don't think that Bolt was the greatest athlete ever. Why should someone who only runs be the greatest in a discipline that consists of much more than just running? He might be the greatest sprinter of all times, but that's about it IMO.

And the way I've followed football since the mid-90's, I've not seen many more productive and impressive forwards than C. Ronaldo. However, scoring a lot does not make you the greatest player ever in a sport that also requires a lot of tactics, thinking and playmaking. In my books, Messi is the better footballer because of that and I'd argue that the history of football has seen various more complete players than C. Ronaldo. Not even starting with name-calling. For me Messi has always been Crosby and C. Ronaldo Ovechkin. I'm a huge Ovechkin fan and he's a big reason why I started following the NHL, but after 2010 I wouldn't argue that he was among the very best players in the world even though he's clearly the most prolific goal scorer in decades.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
When it comes to Cricket Don Bradman is the most statistically dominant player and it is not close.

In fact you'd find it hard to find a more dominant player in any team sport than Bradman.

In Rugby the now retired Richie McCaw is going to be difficult to surpass.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
When it comes to Cricket Don Bradman is the most statistically dominant player and it is not close.

In fact you'd find it hard to find a more dominant player in any team sport than Bradman.

In Rugby the now retired Richie McCaw is going to be difficult to surpass.

Can you be more specific?

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
I disagree with Bolt and Ronaldo. Athletics has so many demanding disciplines and just because he has been promoted as such, I don't think that Bolt was the greatest athlete ever. Why should someone who only runs be the greatest in a discipline that consists of much more than just running? He might be the greatest sprinter of all times, but that's about it IMO.

Witch T&F athlete do you have ahead of Bolt? Kenenisa Bekele is the only person you could possible pose a reasonable argument for but I would still favour Bolt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad