Greatest Leaf Photos Thread

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I really love the history of our beloved franchise, and thought it would be neat to see some of the photos that posters feel are the most iconic or their favourite photos.

My favourite Leaf photo entitled "Stanley Cup Joy," is one that has not been reproduced a whole lot, but is from an important moment in our team's history. It is by a famous Toronto sports photographer named Nat Turofsky who photographed the Toronto sports scene and especially the Leafs for decades between the 30s and 50s. The Turofsky's had a studio in Toronto called Alexandra Studios, and the photo I believe was a photo displayed in their studio given the original studio matting and the caption that appears right on the photo. I purchased this photo a few years back. There was a write up about it in an old Maple Leaf Gardens program from 1948. Apparently the photo was Turofsky's favourite photo that he ever took.

The photo that was taken when Nat Turofsky hopped on the ice and snapped this photo just as the final buzzer went and the Leafs won the 1947 Cup over Montreal 2-1. This photo is my favourite not only for the jubilation it captures as the Leafs win the cup, but also for capturing the dejection of a Habs fan (mentioned in the article, and located by the knee of the player hopping over the boards) in that moment. I am not usually one to get joy out of the misery of others, but when the Habs endure hockey related misfortune I make an exception, especially when the Leafs are inflicting it.

TurofskyStanleyCupJoy1_zpsce169280.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad