Greatest Defenceman of All Time #13

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Park won with 27 votes and Borje Salming will be added next. I am voting for Pierre Pilote and add Cleghorn.

#1.Orr(89.26%)
#2.Shore(37.00%)
#3.Harvey(52.33%)
#4.Bourque(54.84%)
#5.Potvin(61.84%)
#6.Robinson(31.71%)
#7.Kelly(27.69%)
#8.Lidstrom(32.58%)
#9.Coffey(40.58%)
#10.Chelios(34.25%)
#11.Fetisov(44.29%)
#12.Park(48.21%)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Pilote. I think he's somewhat viewed as a "transitional defenceman" between Harvey and Orr. But he won three straight Norris Trophies, and was named a first team all-star five straight years. Three-time second team all-star, too. A very strong all-round defenceman, he could beat you offensively and physically.

I said after Kelly's selection at No. 7 that there were six defencemen very close together who should go 8 to 13: Chelios, Fetisov, Coffey, Lidstrom, Park and Pilote. We've seen a lot of vote shifts the last few rounds, since the Chelios/Fetisov saw-off at 10. Fetisov received most of Chelios' support, and Park received most of Fetisov's votes. I'd be surprised if Pilote doesn't receive most of Park's votes.

While my order was a little off, Pilote's the only one remaining. (Tim Horton would be a good candidate at this point, too, but I'll go with Pilote).

Add Claghorn.

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Psycho Papa Joe said:
I've been asking the same question since around the #7 or 8 spot. Any D-man who has won an MVP and multiple Norris trophies should be on this list. I loved watching Savard, Langway and Salming, but come on people:dunno:

Multiple Norris trophies. Like Langway, maybe?

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Langway never won an MVP. Just saying Pronger should be on this list ahead of Langway, not that Langway shouldn't be on this list. Both are/were great, but Pronger has played at a higher level than Langway ever did.

In one facet of the game, anyway. I would certainly put Pronger on ahead of Salming, although I admittedly know nothing about his Swedish accomplishments. I think some voters tend to shy away from current players to avoid being accused of being blind to the league's history.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I think Pronger is getting overrated here because of the fact he won the Hart trophy. It's a nice accomplishment but it was a one-time deal, and apart from that year he's struggled with injuries and consistency issues. Scott Niedermayer, who hasn't even been mentioned, should go on before Pronger. He's also got a Norris trophy, but also has 3 Stanley Cups, has been a contender for the Conn Smythe, has been more consistent than Pronger, and has way more high-level playoff performances.

joe_shannon_1983*

Psycho Papa Joe said:
I've been asking the same question since around the #7 or 8 spot. Any D-man who has won an MVP and multiple Norris trophies should be on this list. I loved watching Savard, Langway and Salming, but come on people:dunno:
Pronger didn't win "multiple Norris Trophies".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad