Greatest Betrayals

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Another thread in the "Greatest ____" series (Greatest Babyface is the other thread)

What are some of your favourite or most painful betrayals in wrestling

Mine are
-Eddie/Rey
-KO/Jericho
-Gargano/Ciampa
-Shield

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Some good ones off the top of my head:

Michaels/Jannetty
Stratus/Jericho
Hogan/Savage (Hogan betraying Savage with his jealous eyes)
Hogan/WCW
Babydoll/Dusty

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Hogan joining the NWO turning on wcw and the fans

"As far as I'm concerned, all this crap in this ring represents these fans out here. For two years brother! For two years, I held my head high. I did everything for the charities. I did everything for the kids. And the reception I got when came out here, you fans can stick it brother."

I never tire of hearing that line

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It was so quiet in the arena when seth picked up the chair that you could literally hear that one guy scream "NOOOOOO"

Thats how you know it was great.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Another one that is somewhat fresh in my mind because I've been watching some older content lately is the Ole Anderson turn on Dusty Rhodes. Basically, Anderson and Rhodes had been feuding for a year (Koloff was also out to get Rhodes). Anderson turned over a new leaf and turned face, joining Rhodes in his battle against Georgia's various heels. It all culminated in a steel cage tag match between The Assassins and Rhodes/Anderson. Each team was allowed to pick a ref, with the heels picking Koloff and the faces picking Ole's brother Gene. Once the match started Rhodes was almost immediately beaten down by all five other guys in the cage as the faces stormed the ring and tried to get in.

Pretty good stuff. Anderson did promos afterward explaining that he spent basically a year just trying to get into Rhodes' inner circle so that he could get a chance to potentially end his career.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Another one that is somewhat fresh in my mind because I've been watching some older content lately is the Ole Anderson turn on Dusty Rhodes. Basically, Anderson and Rhodes had been feuding for a year (Koloff was also out to get Rhodes). Anderson turned over a new leaf and turned face, joining Rhodes in his battle against Georgia's various heels. It all culminated in a steel cage tag match between The Assassins and Rhodes/Anderson. Each team was allowed to pick a ref, with the heels picking Koloff and the faces picking Ole's brother Gene. Once the match started Rhodes was almost immediately beaten down by all five other guys in the cage as the faces stormed the ring and tried to get in.

Pretty good stuff. Anderson did promos afterward explaining that he spent basically a year just trying to get into Rhodes' inner circle so that he could get a chance to potentially end his career.
That was one that sprung to my mind.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Dynamite Kid betrays Davey Boy Smith.

I mean I know that it happened in Stampede Wrestling. But what makes this an amazing story was that by the time of the Bulldogs breakup after they left WWF Dynamite absolutely hated Davey Boy, and on top of it, there was a real life betrayal, when Japan offered the Bulldogs a lucrative contract to tour and Davey Boy lied to them and told them that Dynamite didn't want to tour Japan anymore and went himself, while Dynamite was left behind.

In front of the curtains Dynamite betrayed Davey and went back to being a heel, something that fans of Stampede Wrestling will say he was exceptional at.

In real life, Davey pulled a heel turn on Dynamite and the two never spoke again.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Lots of good ones already mentioned.

So I'll go with McMahon's two "screw jobs" on Wendi Richter and Bret Hart.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
My three favorites all involved Ric Flair:

1984: Wahoo McDaniel turns on Flair, giving the reason that it was because his longtime friend never gave him a title shot. It worked because you could actually understand his point of view (similar to Andre on Hogan three years later), and was a huge shock because Wahoo had been a babyface for so many years.

1995: Ric Flair on Sting. Flair was feuding with Anderson and Pillman, and asked Sting to team with him against them. Sting didn't want anything to do with him (Flair had turned on him before), but for weeks and weeks Flair was persistent and finally gained Sting's trust. At the match, Flair is apparently attacked backstage, leaving Sting to fight two men by himself. After several minutes, a seemingly injured Flair hobbles to the ring and starts pleading for the exhausted Sting to tag him in. The crowd exploded when the tag was finally made, only to have Flair turn around and level Sting, leading to a 3-on-1 assault by the reunited Horsemen.

Bobby Heenan on commentary: "I've gotta take my hat off to these guys. I've double-crossed a lot of people, but this is a 10!"

1996: Steve McMichael on Kevin Greene. The two NFLers were supposed to take on Flair and Arn, only to have Mongo turn on Greene and join the Horsemen. OK, we all know Mongo sucked; but the turn had great shock value. It was a relief to me because I was dreading the possibility that they would book the Horsemen to lose to the football players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad