OT: Great moments/players you have seen in your lifetime

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In person:
2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 Game 1. Gary Roberts gets sent back to his cage when he tries to take on the entire Senators team himself.
2008 Stanley Cup Final Game 4. "The Shift" game.
2009 Stanley Cup Final Game 6. I don't think I need to explain this one.
2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 Game 2. I was in F Balcony front row above the offensive zone, so I was able to look directly down as Crosby spun Spezza in circles behind the net :)

I was too much of a nerd to get into hockey back during the prime Mario/Jagr years, unfortunately. By the time I got into hockey, I was living in Silicon Valley, and trying to listen to internet streams of radio broadcasts of games during the dark years of the X Generation while at work. I came back to Pittsburgh just in time for Malkin's rookie year. Not bad timing, I suppose!

Interesting story.... What made you want penguin feeds when you were cross country? Just wondering

I wonder if Mario will ever tell (autobiography?) what Fraser said to him when he trolled #66 while he was in the penalty box?

Very unusual behaviour for a ref!

Weird seeing Mario lose it too...

Seeing Mario lose it was breath taking. The guy took more hacks, slashes, hooks, etc. in one game than Sid has taken in his entire career. He pushed through religiously.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I saw the Brandon Sutter Ass Goal in Glendale. I also maintain that I saw Mario destroy the Whalers in Hartford when I was barely sentient, but I may be merging an admiring comment my dad made about him with a vague memory of being taken to a game at the Civic Center (and being too afraid of arena sounds to actually watch).

When I lived in Scranton I got to see Bobby Farnham's debut and first few legend-making games with the Baby Pens. Also the immortal Paul Thompson scoring a breakaway OT winner with seconds remaining.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC

I still maintain that I caused that goal. Turned to my buddy at the start of that Wings PP and said, "Staal with a shortie. Wait for it."

So ya know, you're welcome :laugh:

Same game, but I'll always remember this goal as well:

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
First time I saw the Pens play, March 16 1995 against the Nordiques in Quebec City. They were the two best teams in the league and first place was on the line. The Nordiques won 3-2 to take over top spot. Owen Nolan scored 2 goals including the game winner on Ken Wregget. Kjell Samuelsson looked like he was 12 feet tall and clumsy as ****, lol. Forsberg scored and Sakic had an assist. Francis had 2 assists that game. Luc Robitaille scored for the Pens and Jagr had a beauty of a goal and assist. During the warm-up, myself and a couple other kids I was with crammed against the glass in the Pens end, Jagr was playing around with the puck in the corner in front of us. He flipped his stick upside down and started to stick handle with the end of his stick while holding the blade in one of his hands. He made it look easy too. I ended up with a puck that John Cullen threw over the glass at the end of the warm up.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Was at this game right before I met 'my now wife' at Putter's Pub on Babcock Blvd. No-longer there.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199601270PIT.html

Tom and Tuds in Aspinwall would do bus loads to games. Drink before, on the bus and after. Mario had a hat trick with 5 points and we were 2 rows strong heckling the Flyer fans a few rows down. Weather was really bad that night, we shouldn't have been on the roads as they got worse with snow covered ice the later it got. But we made the trip out to Putter's, and she stole my seat and so much more....

Wouldn't change a thing. Great night almost 20 years ago.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
There are some great replies in this thread that I am completely jealous of.

Seen live?

I'll probably never beat these:

2008 SCF game 5 in DET, where the Pens extended the series by winning in 3OT: the atmosphere in there, even from the bulk of the 3rd period, was purely insane. The entire game was like that, but it was unlike anything I've seen at that point.

2009 SCF game 6 in PIT, where the Pens again extended the series this time to game 7 in DET. Staal's game-changing shorty and Fleury's game were top-notch.

2009 SCF game 7 in DET (insert obvious comments here). I was too nervous to get engulfed into the excitement as I did in 08's 3OT game. That one was just beyond belief. This one was purely nerve-wracking once the time started winding down and it was so close. When it was over I almost couldn't believe it for a minute or two. I definitely didn't get lost in the excitement, what with taking it all in and being sure not to turn to my Wings fan wife and rub it in her face :laugh:

What's funny about Game 6 and 7 in 09 is I went to both of those games as well and can remember being a big baby about it after we got wrecked for 60 minutes in game 5. I honestly didn't want to go to game 6. I remember telling my wife I just couldn't watch Detroit carry the Cup on our ice again. Had it not been for the fact a friend of ours got us the tickets I might have sold them. I also remember thinking that even if we did win how in the world would we win a Game 7 in Detroit.

Funny how things turn out. After Game 6, Friday couldn't get here fast enough. I was sitting way up high off to the side in the end where all the action was in Game 7 and can tell you my heart skipped a beat when Kronwall's shot hit the crossbar. I will never forget that sound till the day I die.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
There are some great replies in this thread that I am completely jealous of.

What's funny about Game 6 and 7 in 09 is I went to both of those games as well and can remember being a big baby about it after we got wrecked for 60 minutes in game 5. I honestly didn't want to go to game 6. I remember telling my wife I just couldn't watch Detroit carry the Cup on our ice again. Had it not been for the fact a friend of ours got us the tickets I might have sold them. I also remember thinking that even if we did win how in the world would we win a Game 7 in Detroit.

Funny how things turn out. After Game 6, Friday couldn't get here fast enough. I was sitting way up high off to the side in the end where all the action was in Game 7 and can tell you my heart skipped a beat when Kronwall's shot hit the crossbar. I will never forget that sound till the day I die.

I was at that Game 5, too. 5-0 if I remember correctly. I almost got in a fight with two Wings fans on the way out, too :laugh:

Back then I lived on the east coast, and my wife (then-GF) was in MI, so I was flying back and forth for the games. That whole week in '09 was a whirlwind. I remember the plane on the way to Game 7 was at least half full of Pens/Wings fans. What a blast! For the game, we were in the lower rows of an upper corner too, with a view of the Penguins' end. That came in handy during the final seconds!

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Seeing malkin's signature goal against the Devils is up there, along with Crosby splitting four Canadiens to score. The best moment I've seen live is malkin's impossible backhand against Carolina for the hat trick in 09. Nobody saw that coming

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Seeing malkin's signature goal against the Devils is up there, along with Crosby splitting four Canadiens to score. The best moment I've seen live is malkin's impossible backhand against Carolina for the hat trick in 09. Nobody saw that coming

Certainly not Cam Ward.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I saw Jagr's only 4 goal game live.

I saw Sid at his absolute peak when they slaughtered Columbus in 2010 in their arena.

I saw playoff games live the year Mario came back, I also saw Mario dominate the Hawks in the mid 90's at the igloo.

I used to go to a lot of Pens games in Buffalo in the 90's so seeing Jagr at his best going against Hasek at his best was usually a treat.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I did forget one major highlight, not sure how this one slipped my mind. I've had a front row seat to watch the Flyers not win a Stanley Cup for 40 years.

Good times.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I did forget one major highlight, not sure how this one slipped my mind. I've had a front row seat to watch the Flyers not win a Stanley Cup for 40 years.

Good times.

Aaaaah Yesssss! :yo:

Seriously though, you must be like... old?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Seriously though, you must be like... old?

I am, but I'm ok with it. I'd like to think I've gotten smarter over the years, though maybe it's just that I'm forgetting how dumb I am. Either way, getting older is better than the alternative.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I am, but I'm ok with it. I'd like to think I've gotten smarter over the years, though maybe it's just that I'm forgetting how dumb I am. Either way, getting older is better than the alternative.

:laugh:

Certainly seems like you kept or developped your sense of humor.

Kudos to that sir.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Interesting story.... What made you want penguin feeds when you were cross country? Just wondering

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and while I wasn't paying attention to hockey back then, I certainly knew who Lemieux and Jagr were (even if I didn't know any other Penguins' names at the time). I was out in Silicon Valley when Mario came out of retirement, and got hit with a bit of homesickness. I may have been in Sharks territory, but I was still a Pittsburgher, so the Pens were my team. I started to pay a bit of attention to hockey and the Pens (plus the Sharks, since they were the local team). And then came the 2002 Winter Olympics, which got me totally hooked on hockey. I became a pretty hardcore fan after that, which included listening to Pens feeds, even though they were losing so much... I remember being so happy when Ric Jackman scored that OT goal to end the losing streak back in the day!

Going through that is probably why I'm generally one of the more optimistic fans on these boards :)

RR1107

Mar 30, 2004
I've seen some great ones live, like Sid's 100th point as a rookie, Malkin's goal against Brodeur in is rookie year.

But my favorite was probably when Morozov showed his jersey to the crowd after scoring in OT against Carolina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v388s5u8aA

When Morozov pulled displayed his jersey for the crowd, it was just great.

Last edited:

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
The only Penguins game I've ever seen in Pittsburgh was January 3, 2008 against the Maple Leafs

Evgeni Malkin scored his first career hat trick

I was only 8 hahahaha

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Vague recollection of seeing Eddie Shack and his long hair just raising hell with the other team, even at the end of his career, and the fans loving it. As a kid, I really got into how different the at-game experience was from the Bucs or the Steelers.

Pens beating the Habs in '79 or so - I think on a late goal by George Ferguson - when the Habs were still by far the best team in the league. Just remember the Arena absolutely rocking.

Any game with Mario during the '84-'87 time frame, when he was basically the entire team. Just lots of end-to-end rushes with ridiculous passes when the other team collapsed on him. And then pretty much any game with him after that.

Three cups (especially the first two when we still had season tix) and the really sad night in the season after Badger Bob passed.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Haven't had a lot success with live stuff.

-Toby Peterson hat trick gift wrapped from Mario
-Straka penalty shot in playoffs
-Also saw the Morozov goal
-Paul Coffey hat trick

Chernobyl Mobile

Just chillin' here
Nov 23, 2014
New Jersey
I've only been to one game (the struggle of being outside PGH), but a few good things happened, though they lost the game.
-Crosby's 300th goal against PHI
-Kunitz hitting Nick Schultz, popping the glass out:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad