Granlund vs Shinkaruk

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Shinkaruk, though I don't think either player deserves to be protected in the expansion draft.

Shinkaruk because he still has a couple years of waiver exempt status. He's had some struggles this year but still could develop into a useful player.

Meanwhile, Granlund's development has flatlined. His production this year is similar to 2 years ago in Calgary, and when you factor in time on ice it's actually worse. He's also a defensive liability, and a replacement level player.

Give me the guy who could possibly develop over someone who I could easily bring in off waivers in any given season.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Simple question who would you rather have going forward? I believe both players need to be protected for the Expansion draft.

Granlund right now and if Shinkaruk, stays where he's at developmentally, going forward as well. Didn't like the trade at the time though.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Absolutely hated the trade when it was made, but granlund is on a 20 goal pace in the NHL, and Shinkaruk looks to have stagnated a bit. I'd guess that around the league Granlund has more value so I'd have to say Granlund.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Absolutely hated the trade when it was made, but granlund is on a 20 goal pace in the NHL, and Shinkaruk looks to have stagnated a bit. I'd guess that around the league Granlund has more value so I'd have to say Granlund.

22 goal scorer Brandon Pirri was dealt for a 6th round pick last year...and this year he was waived. Keep that in mind.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
22 goal scorer Brandon Pirri was dealt for a 6th round pick last year...and this year he was waived. Keep that in mind.

Yeah and Dan Hamhuis and Radim Vrbata are both worth less than a 7th cause they didn't get traded at all? And clearly Kris Russel is worth 2 2nds and Jokipakka, and Devan Dubnyk is worth Matt Hendricks, and Filip Forsberg is worth Martin Erat????? :popcorn::popcorn:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Anyone remember when a number of the posters accused of being too high on Shinkaruk were getting yelled at for not being high enough on Shinkaruk?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I know which player Vegas would choose if they had to...

I'll take the versatile, smart, play in all situations, defensively responsible potential 20g scorer C/W...

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Shinkaruk, because he has scoring line potential. Granlund just always seems like an ill fit. Not gifted enough offensively for a top-9 role, but not enough of a "shutdown" player to be used effectively in a 4th-line role.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Simple question who would you rather have going forward? I believe both players need to be protected for the Expansion draft.

It's a complete no brainer. Granlund.

Even though he's a sub-par NHL player, Granlund is just that......an NHL player.

Shinkaruk hasn't proven anything at the NHL level, and the way things are looking, never will.

Granlund on the other hand, is an excellent and cheap stop gap player. His presence on the team allows for a guy like Baertschi (a real long term asset for the Canucks) to properly develop on the 3rd line and in other situations that cater to Baertschi's strengths (i.e. power play).

So far, in that role, Granlund has done well........for a 900K 'stop gap' player.

All Shinkaruk has done is bite boners on the farm.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I'm not sure on shinkaruk's waiver exemption through next year( I believe it is too many pro games) so he sure needs to prove something here.

Don't think much of granlund but he is an nhler at this point and has produced something at least. He seems to be in the right spot for a lot of easy goals so good on him for getting to the right spot.

As for shinkaruk, it might be as little as getting a look with talented players but that may never come. Definitely tough with the LW depth on the flames.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
eh...I would've dealt somebody like Gaunce (who didn't look all that great at the time in either the AHL or NHL at that point) for Granlund rather than Shinkaruk.

To me, it wasn't a case who was better at the time (Granlund or Shinkaruk) but rather who had the better bargaining position. No need to unload Shinkaruk at the time (though I can see why the Flames dealt Granlund because of the waivers issue).

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Only on HFCanucks would a player on a 20 goal 33 point pace after the halfway mark be consider the less valuable asset than a 22 year old who hasn't been able to stick for 3 seasons in the NHL.

Admitting an error of judgment on this trade would only chip away at the 'Fire everyone' argument and the tank crew can't have that. But...but... Corsi! Possession! :laugh:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Shinkaruk, because he has scoring line potential. Granlund just always seems like an ill fit. Not gifted enough offensively for a top-9 role, but not enough of a "shutdown" player to be used effectively in a 4th-line role.

Why does Shinkaruk have scoring line potential when Granlund has scored more than him at every single level? Granlund was a first-line player in the AHL...

That's a question nobody has ever been able to answer. Even at the time of the trade, Shinkaruk was being dwarfed by Granlund. Granlund is only one year older than Shinkaruk so it's not hard to compare their year-by-year efforts. When Granlund was 18/19 he scored 34 points in 47 games and finished with +19 in the top Finnish men's league. Last year, Sebastian Aho (Carolina top prospect at the same relative age) got 45 points in 45 games but was -4 in that same league.

Want more?

In Shinkaruk's first AHL season (his 20-21 year-old season), he got 31 points in 74 games.

In Granlund's first AHL season (his 20-21 year-old season), he got 46 points in 52 games.

So where does this first-line upside come from for Shinkaruk? We're talking about a guy whose best season came in his draft-1 year. Shinkaruk's injury in 2013-2014 put such a weight on his career that I don't think he'll ever ascend.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I know which player Vegas would choose if they had to...

I'll take the versatile, smart, play in all situations, defensively responsible potential 20g scorer C/W...

I'll take that too, but in this thread we're talking about Shinkaruk and Granlund and neither fit that description.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad